Project Fabia "Mongrel" thread

devonutopia

Any power figures now it's propperly set up/mapped?

It isn't yet tough.  Still running stock 2.2 bar boost for the GTB2260vk turbo in its original form.  Hoping to sort before a charity RR day on 24th August

• 2 months later...

Well, I've not updated this for a while.  Suspect I have moved some photos around that have killed post #1 a bit, but there we go.

Latest update is I fecked my manifold AGAIN.  This time I am getting a much better quality replacement from Darkside!  Fed up with this one.

What you don't see below is the hole I on the other side I could nearly get my little finger through....  Note how it cracked at the collector again, but not where it was repaired before....
Damage pics:-

DSC_00564.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

This is what killed your day at Oulton Park?

One thing, if the exhaust keeps snapping/cracking, is this because the exhaust system is too rigid? Would softer rubbers or the addition of a few flex joints in the whole system be a bit more manifold friendly and allow the engine to move on the mounts without breaking anything?

This is what killed your day at Oulton Park?

One thing, if the exhaust keeps snapping/cracking, is this because the exhaust system is too rigid? Would softer rubbers or the addition of a few flex joints in the whole system be a bit more manifold friendly and allow the engine to move on the mounts without breaking anything?

Well, its a tough call.  The last time it cracked it was blamed on the turbo not being braced to the engine.  Fixed it, made a real nice brace and 18 months later - gone again.  The Darkside one doesn't need bracing as apparently the manifold does need to move slightly as it heats up / cools down.  So, this is the way I will be going.  The exhaust can move plentifully.  Still on stock rubber mounts.

And yes, this is what killed me at Oulton!  It's always a trackday that finishes them off! :D

• Like 1

Are you running an allard fmic? How would you rate it I haven't seen anyone else have one fitted!

Been running it since 2005, and it's becoming due for replacement I think.  It's a decent core, so I shall leave it for now.  Plus I like the unique routing post cooler, through the engine bay.

Been running it since 2005, and it's becoming due for replacement I think.  It's a decent core, so I shall leave it for now.  Plus I like the unique routing post cooler, through the engine bay.

It looks well made! How did you go about re routing the air intake pipe?

It looks well made! How did you go about re routing the air intake pipe?

Just got the intake for the BMC box sat alongside the pipe where it comes through.  It gets plenty of nice cold air still.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, still not updated for a long time, but things are now heading in a good direction.  Have now removed my Firad 80% injectors and installed 130% ones from United Diesel (DSS-R ones)

Once fitted (on old mapping) the car was misfiring, smoking and generally not being very well behaved, but I now have someone on the case who I've known for a while but found was doing TDI custom remapping.

I am now driving on a completely base map with about 1.5 bar of boost, to check all is working normally and gradually building up the power.  But now the white smoke has been stopped, and full throttle black smoke is pretty limited indeed.  Car just feels a lot healthier and has more pulling ability at low revs.  Awesome! Have a 2 bar map with similar settings to try later.

Only thing I have done today is to start to prep my rear wheels for drag racing.  Got a pair of 15" VW GTI wheels, ronals, and I'll be wrapping in nice thin eco-contact Conti rubber :D

This is the tyre - the alloy wheel pic won't upload unfortunately

DSC_0103.jpg

• Like 2

Just quarter mile :D  I want the lease amount of rear end traction I can.  On track I want the most, so I have a set (well two actually....) with track semi slicks on.

One bonus of the narrow tyres is I bet if I went on a long journey with them fitted, I would see a decent amount of fuel saving. :)

Yeah thought as much an old friend did it years ago to his Renault 5 GT Turbo. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvs0jcm4WNg ) 2.2mins in, but if you watch before hand you can see him putting the smaller wheels on at the back. If I remember correctly he played about with the pressure on it too, not sure what he set it too but it worked quite well for him. He sold that a year or so later.