Project Fabia "Mongrel" thread

devonutopia

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ANOTHER notch!? There can't be many more notches on the belt/ladder!

Just read through this, very impressive work. I would like to think you can surprise people who overlook the car?

JRJG

• 2 months later...

Well, the pace has gone down a notch now.  to NIL :D

Smoking badly, especially when coming off the track at Combe when on over-run its meant to be injecting no fuel!!

Got nice little cracks between each valve and the injector end :(   So new head time.

DSC_0065.jpg

Block is OK at least, given it's had 150,000 miles of abuse!  Only forged rods in there!  Only mod!

DSC_0066.jpg

Gutted to hear about the head Jason, I was wondering qhat the outcome was as I hadn't heard anything about it. You got a replacement head sorted for it? Was your current one modified?

Gutted to hear about the head Jason, I was wondering qhat the outcome was as I hadn't heard anything about it. You got a replacement head sorted for it? Was your current one modified?

Current one has been ported twice and has bigger exhaust valves.  All done about 6 years ago.  I need to find out how porting / valve technology has come on.

A local PD head has popped up which I can get for £20, but to turn it into anything like the head that is cracked will mean spunking around a grand on it.

Has it cracked on the inlet or exhaust seats?

ALL of them.  There's eight cracks in total.  They could have developed at different times as to be honest in the past 3 or 4 years the white smoke on start up has been real bad, and it's only in the last 6 months symptoms have started progressing to the light throttle smoke and sudden decrease in fuel economy.

• 1 month later...

What did they say about the cracks in the head?

Maybe the angle of the pic,or my eyesight :D but isn't the valve furthest to the left in your picture not sitting flat in the head?

All running very nicely now apparently.  I wasn't there to see first fire up as had to go back to work.  Been informed no start up smoke and ticking over much better than before too.

Should get it back tomorrow.  And whilst there were a couple of small cracks, its nothing like the old head, and will be fine for some time.  In theory for the long term I should have got a brand new head, but they are not cheap at all   :(

• Like 2

It's not always mileage which cracks head, or tuning, or how they are driven.

It just seems to be a PD thing that it happens, and sometimes it doesn't.

A perfect solution is a new head, or somehow being able to bore out the valve seats and sleeve in steel which is less susceptible to cracking.  I don't know really :D

• Like 1