OEM Tyre sizes and alternatives

fabdavrav

Welcome to the forum.

What size 16" Tyres are on the car now, and what 14" have you gone for?

(& what Load / Speed rating is on your 16" Tyres, and are you getting the same in the 14" Tyres?)

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Hopefully someone knows if the 14" Rims clear the Brake Calipers on the 1.6 Automatic.

?

What size is the Rim on the Spare wheel on the Car, is it a 15"?

Thanks.

Current wheels are 205/45 R16 83W.    I've ordered 185/60 R14 82H on 6Jx14 rims.

There is no spare, just a can of gunk.

My thinking is that the 1.6 engine is the same regardless of trim level (1,2 or 3) so all should have same brakes.  As the trim level 1 has 14" tyres, the trim level 2 15" and the trim level 3 16" I expect the wheels to be interchangeable (assuming the correct tyre fitted).

• 3 weeks later...

Success - my new 14" wheels and tyres fit and the ride is now quieter and more comfortable. Haven't done a long journey yet but it looks like fuel economy has improved.

The cost of the wheels, tyres and trims is less than that of 4 tyres to fit the 16" alloys.

So I now have a set of 16" alloys and tyres in my garage which I will have to keep until I get rid of the car.

Success - my new 14" wheels and tyres fit and the ride is now quieter and more comfortable. Haven't done a long journey yet but it looks like fuel economy has improved.

The cost of the wheels, tyres and trims is less than that of 4 tyres to fit the 16" alloys.

So I now have a set of 16" alloys and tyres in my garage which I will have to keep until I get rid of the car.

I'm guessing that you will be driving the only UK located Mk2 Fabia with 14" wheels, which does bring into play the question "does your insurance company know and agree to this?".  You must have the 256mm front brakes to get away with this. As a sweeping statement, all the later versions of these cars Fabia/Polo/Ibiza, all moved up a wheel size from the early versions. I'm guessing that your car sits a bit lower down then it did when it had its 16" wheels/tyres on. Edit:- I sold on my 14" X 6J winter wheels and 185/60 Alpin A3s when I bought my wife a newer Polo, it now has 15" X 6J winter wheels with 185/60 Alpins.A4s.

Edit, ah, are you meaning Fabia 11 MK1 and not Fabia Mk2? (my mistake)

Edited by rum4mo

In a word no. 

14" wheels are standard for trim level 1, as evidenced by the fuel flap which has tyre pressures for 14".  The figures given in the first post in this thread are incorrect. Should be:

Fabia MKII OEM Sizes
185/60 R14 84T
195/55 R15 85H
205/45 R16 83W
205/40 R17 84W

I've informed my insurance company and they're happy with it.  The car sits at exactly the same height as before because the sidewalls are higher than on the 16" and the brakes are the same on all trim levels.  The car was registered in 2009.

Correction to my last post (can't work out how to edit it).  With 14" wheels and tyres the car sits 1.33 cm lower than with 16".  The circumference of the complete wheel is 4.18 cm smaller which might be what seems to be a slight improvement in fuel consumption if that is calculated by measuring wheel revolutions. Which would also mean the speedometer reading higher than actual speed and the odometer showing the car had driven further than it actually had.  Must find one of those road signs which display the approaching vehicle's speed.

Correction to my last post (can't work out how to edit it).  With 14" wheels and tyres the car sits 1.33 cm lower than with 16".  The circumference of the complete wheel is 4.18 cm smaller which might be what seems to be a slight improvement in fuel consumption if that is calculated by measuring wheel revolutions. Which would also mean the speedometer reading higher than actual speed and the odometer showing the car had driven further than it actually had.  Must find one of those road signs which display the approaching vehicle's speed.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/how-to-change-your-tyre-size/

According to this website, your car doesn't sit any lower but overall diameter has been changed by 13mm which is within +/- 2,5% tolerance. Well done!

Websites, online calculators etc mean nothing like the numbers on the sidewalls often. 

You need to physically measure different tyres side by side.

ie

a 205/40 R 17 can actually be taller when measured against a 215/40 R 17 from another manufacturer.

Even worse, different "issues" of the same tyre, same model designation, just a newer slightly different batch/factory.  I replaced the rear tyres on my old Cav GSI 4x4 - car behaved okay, 2000 miles later as we were heading for winter, I replaced the worn but okay front tyres, this time from a different supplier - both times the tyres were Pirelli P7 205/55 X 16 with same load/speed rating, car seemed okay until we went down to the lake district a couple of days later, car started complaining - Cav GSI disengages 4WD when braking - each time I braked there was a nasty "bump" noise/feeling through the car, eventually I removed the 4WD controller fuse and things were okay. When we got back home I went to Vauxhall dealer - he looked at car tyres and said "different tread depths - that is your problem!" - trouble was when I measured them they were all almost exactly the same! Plan B - measure the rolling circumference of all the tyres, this showed that fronts were "bigger" than rears - to make life simple I went back to the second supplier and got another two tyres, now all tyres the same rolling circumference - good used tyres escaped to the garage loft and 15 years later they are probably still there and now of no use for anything - well not on a car! Another car lesson learned!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old thread but was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. 

I have a mk2 fabia vrs

has the factory 17" wheels with 205/40/17 tyres

im finding the ride a little harsh especially around where I am with speed humps every few yards and pot holes complimenting them

want to go for a slightly higher profile tyre that isnt as bad over the bumps and pots... what would be the best size to go for?

thanks

Welcome.

I find 205/45 R 17 but still XL (reinforced) better than 215/40R 17.  

Used both over the past 6 years. as well as 205/40 R 17's.   Many different brands a compounds, All Season / Winters and All Weathers.

Currently on rather cheap to purchase Goodrides from ATS Euromaster.  £50 each fitted, correct load and speed rating, not ditch finders.

Before that had on 215/40 R 17 TIGAR tyres from ATS Euromaster. Also Reinforced, much cheapness in price and manufactured in a Michelin owned factory.

So as long as you are fitting tyres with the correct load and speed rating your insurance company should be happy with 205/45 R 17 or 215/40 R 17's on your car.

You could go to 16" wheels and the correct tyres to keep the total circumference correct, personally i do not find them 

and more comfortable, for that you need to change your springs and dampers.

You will have more sidewall though with the 16's on.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Very informative. 

Would it be possible to go 215/45/17? 

Also have you drove on 225's? 

Cheers

215/45 R 17 are too big, you have a DSG so consider that and the affect of too big tyres / gearing. Plus getting them in the wheel arches.

I have had on 225/35R 18's off a A1 Competition Sport. Not good IMO,

and as to 225 & 17's. no idea, but i would thing not good either.

225/45 R17 too big, and 225/40 R 17 is smaller total circumference than 205/45 R 17 if you actually stand them side by side.

Edited by Awayoffski

• ColinD pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Hey all (newb) I am the recent owner of a mk2 fabia vrs, 2013 vintage.   wheels are as said before, 205/ 40/ 17s.  Tyres are very skinny at 40. 

I'm thinking ahead about winter as we live on a steep hill.... what winter wheel options do I have?  Should i just by a set of spare alloys from a scrappy and put winter boots on them? 

I want a spare wheel too as none provided when purchased, just that gunk and a pump. 

Welcome to the forum.

Odd on the Gunk, someone must have gone off with the Spare as they were a standard fit on mk2 Fabia vRS's,

it is a steel wheel with a 195/55 R15 tyre.

Winter time and 205/45 R 17 tyres work just fine, or you can go to 16's and suitable tyres if you want,

you might find suitable 16" Tyres & Wheels for sale in BRISKODA For Sales.

Even Winter Tyres in a 215/40 R 17 are fine even in the deepest of winters, some snow and ice where a vRS is not going to be getting bellied out in unploughed snow....

and if by chance you can find the likes of Michelin Cross Climate's in that side you could have them on all year.

Maybe the Cross Climate 2's come in 205/45 R 17 now, not checked though.

EDIT, 

Looks like no such luck with the Crossclimates, its 205/50 R 17 so no use,

you would need to go to 16" rims to get suitable ones.

They do OK in Snow without needing narrow tyres fitted.

19.1.13 thaw 008.JPG

Old Flabio & Daisy Jan 2014 004.JPG

compare 225%2c45R17..215%2c40R17..205%2c40R17 020.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

Hmm. that's very interesting - I did ask why there was a large tyre sized dip in the bottom of the boot.... containing a can of gunk and an electric pump with sad voids for tyre iron, jack and other things.  wheel nut on its own down there. 

We have a few queries with the garage: Marshall skoda seemed rather vague about where the jack, tyre iron were and said that this skoda didn't come with a spare. I'll get one off ebay or something now I know......but after I've asked them where it is!

winter tyres: thanks for advice.  Can you go down to 16" rims with the size of brakes?  again the dealership were dubious/ lacking in information / a tiny bit useless 

Lou 

1 soz again showing ignorance will the wheel arch support the increased rubber of a 205 /  45  / R17 tyre?   

2. saw this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132290723050  is this the correct spare wheel cos if it is i'll probably buy it!  will that work ok with the brakes assume also it has unidirectional tread and is speed limited to 50mph?

kind regards from the smoke

L

skoda spare wheel.jpg

Edited by Lou_M
more stuff to add

Yes you can go down to 16" with the Brake Disk size, you can go down to 15" seeing as the Factory Steel Spare Wheel that any UK Main Dealer employee should know comes as standard is 15" and fits at the front or rear axles.

You are as well to get a matching 17 or 16" spare and matching tyre as the wheels going on the car.

You would still need to drive easy if fitting and the tyre on it was brand new, but at least you can carry on with a journey.

A Full Size Wheel / Tyre fully inflated goes in the Spare Tyre Well OK.

On another subject.

Check at a Dealership or with Skoda UK Customer Services if your DSG needs Service Campaign '34H5' doing, 

a Software Update.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

It might need doing and yet still not show on this VIN Checker.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Thanks 1

that's a major thank you from us - ps love your red Skoda - looks so good in the snow - mine would be invisible.... I'll get a spare and the tool kit because I'm a bit OCD about having a complete item, and look for a spare alloy full size in longer time. 

So good to know it'll run ok on 16" set which I may get for winter if i'm feeling flush. 

Lou

I'image.thumb.png.e4067cf59b20c0bc1e6aa1b699c4ddc6.pngll

• 2 years later...

Just adding this table screenshotted off workshopmanuals.com as it includes all the info for MK1 Fabia, including load and speed ratings, and offsets.

The Mk1 forum seems to be full of queries about wheels and tyres just now, so thought it might be useful.

Screenshot 2019-10-09 09.53.56.png

Edit: Note 1 refers to tyre inflation pressures and says look at fuel filler flap

Note 2 says 5-hole fixing, diameter of the bolt circle 100 mm, diameter of the central hole 57 mm

Note 3 says without power steering

Note 4 says it is only fitted as a spare wheel in series

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems discriminatory not to also post links to the Mk2 Fabia info, but there are several tables so I'm only linking the first page; keep clicking 'next page' from there until you find the table appropriate to your mk2 variant:

https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/chassis/technical_data/wheels_tyres/permissible_wheel/tyre_combinations_up_to_my_2010/permissible_wheel/tyre_combinations_except_scout_up_to_my_2010/

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, hirez said:

I recently purchased a fabia mk2 with OEM 165/70 r14.... Is the list complete or am I missing something.

Looks like someone put some mk1 wheels/tyres on it.  Scrolling through all the tables in my link in my previous post there's no sign of that size for mk2, as far as I can see.  On the other hand... on page 203 of the Owners manual, in a section about snow chains, it lists the following as sizes permitted to use them on:

Wheel size Depth (D) Tyre size
5J x 13 35 mm 155/80
5J x 14 35 mm 165/70
6J x 14 37 mm 185/60
6J x 15 43 mm 185/55

?

What sizes are listed on the sticker inside the fuel filler flap?

Edited by Wino