My Ex Candy White Yeti

rockhopper

• 4 weeks later...
Wonderful, Mike, but WTF are they?????

I wondered who would ask :lol:

I did wonder if anybody still looked here.....

Bahnstormer is correct of course, as he gave me the part numbers!

They felt spongy at first and I was thinking, what have I done, but with use ie bedding in, they are improving unsurprisingly.

So now I have the brakes to match the remap.

They will also help with towing the parents 'van. Or rather stopping it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So to recap my mods so far:

Remapped engine to somewhere around 170+ bhp + more torque.

vRS Flappy paddle MFSW.

312mm brake conversion.

Wood trim.

Door sill trim front and rear.

Rear bumper trim.

Mud flaps front and rear.

Rubber mats front, rear and boot.

LED interior lights.

LED parking lights.

LED boot light.

Video cameras front and rear.

CG lock.

De-badged - no TDI or 4x4 on boot.

For winter:

16" Skoda steel wheels with 215/60 R16 99XL Continental WinterContact TS810 (front) & TS830 (rear) & full size spare TS810

hub caps (only 3 left now, so will do something different for next winter).

Non spare wheel boot floor filler and floor.

Nomad Webbing custom made Y to mount spare wheel vertically in the boot.

Spare wheel bag to hold full size spare.

Michelin Easy Grip snow chains.

VCDS changes:

Needle sweep.

Australia country setting to give large digital mph.

Maxidot mpg setting adjusted by 10% so now same as my calculated figure.

Telephone connection bong disabled.

Coming home lights changed to fog lights (from Xenons)

MFSW paddles enabled.

Towbar coded correctly.

Columbus hidden menu enabled.

Coming out of my 170 CR diesel and driving my wife's 1.2 DSG I have to say the brakes are noticably worse.

This is a modification that is definately worth doing.

Coming out of my 170 CR diesel and driving my wife's 1.2 DSG I have to say the brakes are noticably worse.

This is a modification that is definately worth doing.

I have some 288's with the carriers for them going spare.... :rofl: only done 26,000 miles.

I have some 288's with the carriers for them going spare.... :rofl: only done 26,000 miles.

I presume you are suggesting this as an upgrade for a 1.2 Yeti.

The difficulty with this is that, whilst the callipers are common on the setup between the CR140, CR170 and TSI 180, the 1.2, 1.4 and CR110 use a smaller calliper to accommodate discs that are not only smaller (280mm vs. 288/312mm) but also thinner 22mm vs 25mm.

Thus you will have to switch callipers, as well as carriers and discs, to upgrade a 1.2, 1.4 or CR110; which starts to make it uneconomic.

My best suggestion to upgrade the braking on a 1.2 will be to change the pads for something more 'sporty'.

PS> I have a set of 288mm discs and carriers that have done less than 10 miles; changed prior to delivery. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Wales last weekend and completed a City & Guilds level 2 in Off Road driving, Handlingb of trailers and winching.

It was a fun course and I learned loads. No damage to the Yeti either, as we kept to what the car is capable of doing. Most of the course needed a 2" lift on a Land Cruiser Amazon to avoid the rocks and boulders.

Here is my Yeti posing.

7839295354_8c4dd8ea9e.jpg

7839292532_533a79c292.jpg

How is the CB ariel mount doing?

Good enough ground plane and secure enough?

It works really well mounted in the centre of the roof.

I went to Wales with 3 other vehicles and it was great being able to chat and give directions and laugh together at other drivers :lol:

Seems to have a reasonable range, but I haven't tuned the aerial yet. Really should do sometime.

It gets knocked by trees etc and has never come off yet. It is the 7" mag mount.

Mike

Glad you had a good time and it was obviously useful.

At least your Team seem to be doing more than our lot. All I seem to get is details of these £200 training events and nothing else.

Some of the things we Learnt about were all about reading the terrain shead, setting yourself up for as far as you could see, when to stop and go no further, where to place the vehicle for maximum ground clearance, etc. I know most of it is common sense, but there is nothing common about common sense!

Whilst waiting for some training, I went off greenlaning with a Landcruiser Colorado in tow. Great fun, started off climbing up a rocky track. After a few minutes we came to some puddles. The Landcruiser was in front. The water came up to the doors. Needless to say, I turned around and parked up off the track, and sat in the Landcruiser instead. They are amazingly capable vehicles, but even that touched down a few times. This greenlane was referred to as Tirabad. I had been told it would be suitable for the Yeti, but having been in the Landcruiser, I would say it wasn't.

On the Monday night after the winching exercises, at about midnight 6 trucks went on an extreme part of the off road course at the site. I went round in a Landcruiser Amazon with a 2" lift and was amazed at what it could do, down very steep tracks that I would barely cycle down on my MTB, along the river and then along some other fairly extreme tracks for what is basically a standard vehicle. The other vehicles were all non standard with massive knobbly tyres and miles of ground clearance. The Landcruiser Colorado got stuck in one place and had to be rescued!

We had 2 winching exercises which were team challenges, having been taught what to do earlier.

The other exercise was driving reversing a twin axle trailer on and off road, which was also a challenge.

I also learnt to use a 'spotter', somebody who is your eyes on the road, and then doing exactly what they tell you without question. Even when it seems daft! They can see stuff you can't.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

Sounds like you had a useful time, Mike.

I know the lane you mean; often referred to as "The Old Coach Road", as that is what it used to be. It has been "improved" after it got very dangerous!

Sounds like you had a useful time, Mike.

I know the lane you mean; often referred to as "The Old Coach Road", as that is what it used to be. It has been "improved" after it got very dangerous!

It needs 'improving' again before a Yeti can use it :lol:

• 2 months later...

I've just come back from a work trip to Manchester.
My fuel consumption was pretty good. The website data tells me the car did 48.8mpg, which I think is excellent, with an average speed of 53mph.

I was sitting on the motorway a little faster than the trucks at about 60-65mph. I could have driven faster, but as I wasn't in a hurry I couldn't be bothered to be stressed by dodging all the other vehicles out there and it would only have saved me 30-40 minutes each way. traffic was fairly heavy.

It was the Surrey Hills on the way home that reduced the fuel consumption by about 1mpg, and the range as well. If I had carried on, I could have done about another 100 miles, it was just entering the red zone.

As always the driving position is perfect with the electric chair and the car is a great long distance cruiser, whatever speed you chose. I find it so comfortable, and the slightly higher driving position is great.

Here is a picture of my not so clean car, it is only 3 months since I last cleaned her.

8124425561_41cf1b1bfb.jpg

She is rapidly approaching 2 years old.

Edited by rockhopper

• 4 months later...

It's been fairly quiet on the car front recently, but I did get called out to help with South East Ambulance Service on Monday night. I arrived down there at 23:30 hours.

Here is my car parked with the ambulances.

8551306270_4a3cd33b90_b.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk from my Phone

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cropwell

I have just replaced the DRL bulbs with 7.5W CREE bulbs. The effect is super, brighter and whiter.

BUT what a struggle ! I had to use a 17mm stubby open ended to get to turn the bulb and holder to remove them as I couldn't get in to disconnect the damn thing. To replace the bulb I made a tool that mimics the connector but extends it out 70mm, so you can insert the bulb and turn it. I'd post a photo if I could find out how :think:

I have just replaced the DRL bulbs with 7.5W CREE bulbs. The effect is super, brighter and whiter.

BUT what a struggle ! I had to use a 17mm stubby open ended to get to turn the bulb and holder to remove them as I couldn't get in to disconnect the damn thing. To replace the bulb I made a tool that mimics the connector but extends it out 70mm, so you can insert the bulb and turn it. I'd post a photo if I could find out how :think:

I'm interested in both the tool and any bulb failure warnings.

Use advanced options to post a photo

BTW....I'm guessing your user name could be followed by Bishop? I'm a little further northwest at Ravenshead