Mazda 6 Sport / Octavia vRS

Due to my old car dying I bought a 2011 2.2d 180 Mazda 6 Sport about a month ago. I was in a rush as my old car had pretty much died, but I settled on the Mazda as it was sporty looking, practical, good value for money, had all the toys and drove nicely too.

Since then I've seen a Facelift Octavia vRS Hatch in Race Blue and it caught my attention a lot more than my car. Not as many toys as Mazda's Sport trim as standard (unless its been specced up) but thought it was very nice, and as much as I love the Mazda as its is a stunning car, it just makes me feel a little too grown up and executive whereas the Octavia is slightly smaller being based on the Golf chassis and maintains a more raw sportier look, but without looking chavvy and has made me think maybe I'm not ready to grow up yet.

I don't know why I discounted the Octavia before, think it was partly because I was desperate to find a new car and the Mazda was an early contender, and I'm ashamed to admit I listened too much to peers dismissing the Skoda badge, which I now regret doing as I discounted a fantastic car in the Octavia.

I've found myself casually browsing Autotrader looking for a facelift vRS. The best contender so far is this one as it has a lot of the toys. Only problem is I'd have to take a £2249 loss on the cost I paid for mine only a month ago, as this garage can only offer me trade in value (as would most), which means I'd still end up owing them £1245 to swap with a car thats worth £1000 less than what I paid for mine.

That would turn into an expensive regret / change of mind, so as much as I'd like the vRS I think the sensible thing to do is stick with the Mazda for a while ....

Edited by Craigy1D

I have done similar before, seems a car hat I 'thought' I liked, bought it, then realise a month or so down the line that I made a mistake, you will either endnupmfalling in live with what you have or always be thinking you should of swapped, only you can make that decision, maybe as its a main dealer you are dealing with, see if you can have he demo octavianfor a couple of days, see if you can live with it, then you will know.

However, the 6 is a nice well specc'd car, so sensible head says keep what you have, but only you can decide if you will be happy with the six long term.

Don't get me wrong I think the facelift 6 in Sport trim is a fantastic car, and when on the open road it's like a nimble sporty fun to drive hatchback which is suprising for such a big car so it's not really anything to do with disliking the car itself that's drawing me to the Octavia.

It just after a few weeks it makes me feel a bit old before my time I guess and when I look at the Octavia it doesn't. The Mazda's beginning to feel like something I'd be happy to be driving in 5 - 10 years time.

I think the sensible thing to do is to test drive the Octavia like has been suggested, but also try and hang onto the 6 for at least a year as I may grow into it, or if not at least the depreciation of the 6 the current facelift vRS's on the road will mean if I still want to change it in a years time the cost of changing should be comparatively cheaper as both cars are worth less.

I would just stick with car you have unless you have money to waste, the mazda is a good car as it's based on the mondeo and know people who have the same car and like it alot.

Mazda6 isn't actually based on the Mondeo. The Mazda3 is based on the Focus and I believe the Mazda2 is based on the Fiesta, but Mazda still have their own platform for large cars.

Oh dear, I seem to have become an internet pedant.

Would it be the petrol or diesel vrs you are interested in? Performance wise the Mazda 6 is probably a bit quicker than the diesel vrs, I remember having one behind me in my diesel cr vrs and I couldn't pull away from it. Obviously performance might not be an issue for you but just another consideration.

You'd be crazy wasting all that money to swap from the 6 to the vRS.

It's too late, the decision is made and the deed is done.

Don't what ever you do test drive the vRS or you'll want one even more.

The 6 is a good car, stick at it and wait for the MK III Octavia in a few years from now!

I have direct experience of this very situation as when my company 2007 VRS tdi was up for renewal I went for a Mazda 6 Sport 185 (pre facelift). Its a great car, mega comfy, tons of kit, very fast BUT...... Its not as much fun as my old Octy. One of my colleagues at work has a FL VRS and I must admit I still think its a fantastic car and in hindsight I should have held out for another month and waited till the FL Octy was available. Oh well. One of the main reasons I went for the 6 over the Octy was the lack of factory BT (dont like the non OEM retro fit ones) and no MFSW on the manual boxed cars (not old enough to have an auto yet)

Dont get me wrong the Mazda is a great car and I would recommend one but I to feel its too grown up and sensible for me. I have another 2 years left before it goes back so I am stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

Would it be the petrol or diesel vrs you are interested in? Performance wise the Mazda 6 is probably a bit quicker than the diesel vrs, I remember having one behind me in my diesel cr vrs and I couldn't pull away from it. Obviously performance might not be an issue for you but just another consideration.

Jonno VRs

It was the diesel vRS I was looking at as I've currently got the 180 Diesel Mazda and do enough miles to warrant the economy. I think if you compare the two, the Octavia's got a slightly quicker 0 - 60 time as its lighter so gets off the line slightly quicker, despite it being 10 bhp down, but on a rolling start I think the Mazda would be quicker as it's got 400NM of torque compared to the Octavia's 350NM. So the Mazda is certainly fast and nimble enough to put a smile on my face.

.... (not old enough to have an auto yet)

Dont get me wrong the Mazda is a great car and I would recommend one but I to feel its too grown up and sensible for me. I have another 2 years left before it goes back so I am stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

Like yourself Bluetooth was a factor in the choice of the Mazda, but the vRS DSG with the paddle shifters would instantly negate any feelings of an auto box making me feel old.

The thing is, I've found the Mazda is a fantastic car, very comfortable and quick, and it does actually look quite sporty, but in a more executive way, so it's hard to convey, but it just feels too mature for me, and I guess I didn't notice that until the "new car" novelty had worn off. The vRS exterior and interior just looks more fun.

The sensible thing to do is hang onto the 6 for a while though. I can't afford to take that much of a loss in such a short space of time, and although selling it privately might fetch a bit more and reduce the difference, I think people would stuggle to believe that the cars fantastic, but I'm selling it because it makes me feel too old so I'd struggle to sell it.

Edited by Craigy1D

You've actually got my ideal family car there, in the spec I would have. The mazda is a bigger car, chock full of toys. As you say it looks sporty, but in a more mature, and dare I say more modern way. The octavia is smaller, but it is also more nimble and better to drive. £2249 isn't THAT much to lose on a new car, however this is a difficult decision. The build quality and refinement is better on the mazda and it will give you more room, but the VRS will be more exciting to drive. The 2.2 has more torque (I believe) but it is also a heavier car. Difficult decision. The mazda will be worth slightly more at 3 years but I think you've gotta go drive the VRS and make your mind up for yourself, especially as you may be losing money.

I've also thought about trading it in against a brand new vRS while the No VAT offer is on, as I imagine the dealer's have a more manouvering room on the trade in price. What would clinch it for me is if Skoda could match Mazda's current offer (No VAT and0% APR together on their Sport trim whereas Skoda will only do the No VAT on the vRS, and the 0% APR is reserved for lower trim levels.)

@Chubbs, your car sounds nice, but I'm in the same situation of needing to sell mine privately before I can think about getting yours.

A great idea is if someone buys this car I linked to in my original post we can do a straight swap and you'll end up with a newer, bigger car. :)

Edited by Craigy1D

I have just moved from the Mazda Sport diesel to the vRS Diesel ( picked it up about 4 hours ago). The Mazda was a great car, but I had 2 in a row and fancied a change. It is criminal not having the option of Bluetooth on the vRS unless you go DSG, but the Bluetooth on the Mazda was not as good as on my S-max either. I live in Germany so the 6 could run at 140 mph all day and feel planted on the road, but surprisingly the vRS has the bigger boot and is not as drab on the inside either.

I am very happy with my change as I got the vRS with a few toys and still got money back from the dealer when trading in my 6

I've also thought about trading it in against a brand new vRS while the No VAT offer is on, as I imagine the dealer's have a more manouvering room on the trade in price. What would clinch it for me is if Skoda could match Mazda's current offer (No VAT and0% APR together on their Sport trim whereas Skoda will only do the No VAT on the vRS, and the 0% APR is reserved for lower trim levels.)

@Chubbs, your car sounds nice, but I'm in the same situation of needing to sell mine privately before I can think about getting yours.

A great idea is if someone buys this car I linked to in my original post we can do a straight swap and you'll end up with a newer, bigger car. :)

Just be careful of any Skodas with the registration prefix 'PX' as they are all ex-rental cars, hence the higher mileage!

Regards

Chubbs

I've started exploring the option of ordering a brand new one with all the toys specced while the No VAT offer is on, and hopefully get a bit more off, or some better deal on the finance. (I'd love to get No VAT and 0% APR together but can't see it happening.)

As per my other thread I figured if I can get them to guarantee my trade in price (even if it doesn't recoup the cost I've just paid) then due long build time, by the time I come to trade it in, it might not be such a bad deal and I'll have the car and spec I want, although sounds like some dealerships are reevaluating the trade in prices near to the end of the build, so I'd need to get the agreed value in the sales contract.

I've started exploring the option of ordering a brand new one with all the toys specced while the No VAT offer is on, and hopefully get a bit more off, or some better deal on the finance. (I'd love to get No VAT and 0% APR together but can't see it happening.)

As per my other thread I figured if I can get them to guarantee my trade in price (even if it doesn't recoup the cost I've just paid) then due long build time, by the time I come to trade it in, it might not be such a bad deal and I'll have the car and spec I want, although sounds like some dealerships are reevaluating the trade in prices near to the end of the build, so I'd need to get the agreed value in the sales contract.

:) you wont regret it!

Somehow I think the OP had his mind made up long before starting this thread!

Sort of, was hoping someone would have a miracle way of me not losing money on the Mazda 6 or maybe even a remote chance someone would be interested in buying it. Neither is to be so a trip to Skoda on the weekend is needed to see what they can do for me. :)