Filler cap door doesn't work

Alvaro

Since some weeks ago I'm experiencing the same problem: every time I'm going to refuel, the filler cap door doesn't work. It doesn't matter if the car is open or closed, I can only open it after closing and opening the car with the remote key several times at the same time that I'm pressing the trapdoor. I told it to my local dealer the last month when I left the car for the 90K km service, but "they didn't find anything wrong". I've also tried to flush some lubricant spray to the lock, I did it yesterday but today I've ahd the same problem again :wonder:

Anybody has experienced this?

By the way, when I finally get to open it and I'm refuelling, the car closes itself automatically, without touching the remote key :o

Since some weeks ago I'm experiencing the same problem: every time I'm going to refuel, the filler cap door doesn't work. It doesn't matter if the car is open or closed, I can only open it after closing and opening the car with the remote key several times at the same time that I'm pressing the trapdoor. I told it to my local dealer the last month when I left the car for the 90K km service, but "they didn't find anything wrong". I've also tried to flush some lubricant spray to the lock, I did it yesterday but today I've ahd the same problem again :wonder:

Anybody has experienced this?

By the way, when I finally get to open it and I'm refuelling, the car closes itself automatically, without touching the remote key :o

Hi,

Sounds like the locking pin gets stuck when you unlock. Have you tried to lock/unlock the car with the filler cap door open? Maybe it is possible to see if the locking mechanism works as it should?

Regarding the car locking itself, its a feature. If you unlock the car and you don't open a door or the trunk within 30 seconds it will lock again.

/P

Edited by perka

Yes, you're right, I didn't remember the auto-locking feature.

About the locking pin, I also think it's the responsible. I'll tell it to the local dealer.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had any update on this? My Mk 2 Superb fuel cap seems to have locked up. Tried locking and unlocking the car while pushing in the fuel cap-doesn't work. Don't want to force it open and brake the mechanism. Would take to main dealer but they are all closed over xmas!

Force it.

I can only open it after closing and opening the car with the remote key several times at the same time that I'm pressing the trapdoor.

• 1 year later...

Hi

After a changed keys on mine it now only opens if i unlock the car, even  when its open. so before i would simply get out of the car press flap and bingo.

now i get out and have to press unlock on the key to trigger the fuel flap

the car has kessy and im think it maybe some of the options within the system

Ill keep looking

Ive the same issue.

Its hit and miss. Sometimes it opens first time. Sometime it doesn't.

If I persist though it does open eventually...

So I fill it now so I don't have to deal with it too often.

Another one for the list with the failed rear heated window not working.

My Combi does the same thing. Gave the small plastic pin behind the fuel cap door a thin lubricant. It helped for about a season. It helps pushing on the door while unlocking the car, maybe a few times, if it gets stuck again. So either have the locking mechanism replaced or give it some lubricant every now and then.