Fitting S3 jack pads to Octavia

Stevoraith

That's a more tricky question!

On the front it's quite easy, I put the axle stand under the rearmost wishbone bush (the circular thing clearly visible in photos 8, 9 and 11).

I've yet to find a suitable location at the rear though.

Anyone got any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Why are FOUR rubber buffers required, but only TWO plastic buffer plugs?

If you look carefully those are for the back.....the two front plastic buffer plugs are part of the new cover plates!!

To the OP......I did the standard Audi TT jack pad mod to my Fabia and it is good....But I didn't know that there were plastic inserts that are longer!!!!!......Next time around I might get 4x of the ones fitted to the rear of your car...and fit them all around on mine!!!!... B)

Speedstar, fabdavrav is right.

There are four rubber buffers as one of those needs to go into the hole at each corner.

There are then four plastic pads (one for each corner again) but they are not all identical. Two identical ones go on the back (that's the two you mentioned) and two larger ones go on the front, different ones on each side.

That's why you need:

Four identical rubber buffers

Two identical plastic pads to go in them at the rear

A left hand front plastic pad

A right hand front plastic pad.

I remember rumours that the jack pads for Golf IV were only suitable for a 4-post lift, not for a trolley jack. Can anyone comment if that's the case for this?

I'd be interested in this mod for my Leon.

I remember rumours that the jack pads for Golf IV were only suitable for a 4-post lift, not for a trolley jack. Can anyone comment if that's the case for this?

I'd be interested in this mod for my Leon.

There's whole threads on the pro's and con's on a jack pad mod just do a search... B)

To be honest I have no idea if the talk about four post lifts has any substance or if it's just someone talking out of their backside.

Wouldn't be the first time someone on an Internet forum has spouted nonsense and it has been perpetuated as fact........

All I know is that I cannot see any other suitable locations for lifting an Octavia with a trolley jack.

And I sure as hell am not using a widow maker jack to change all four wheels!

So using these jack pads are the perfect solution for me. If others prefer to not take the risk in case there is substance in the rumours then fair enough but I can't see how it could cause any damage, especially if you stick to lifting just the one wheel at a time.

I have these on my Octy. I use them to jack the car up before supporting on Axle Stands and have never had any issues. I use them when taking the wheels off to clean (i don't use axle stands then) and again they have been fine.

To be honest I have no idea if the talk about four post lifts has any substance or if it's just someone talking out of their backside.

What are the rumours? If you try and support a car with a trolley jack on one of these pads, you'll push it straight through the floor?

What are the rumours? If you try and support a car with a trolley jack on one of these pads, you'll push it straight through the floor?

You guessed right!!!... :thumbup: .....

.....load of b0ll0ck5.....

......unless of course the car is fully loaded with people and concrete blocks to it's max........ capacity.......:giggle: ...... B)

The pictures in post #129 in the thread below show what happened to a different VAG model fitted with pads.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?542105-The-Official-Jack-Pad-Install-Write-Up-for-those-who-wanted-it.

Had a look but the pics are from different angles so the shadows are different etc.....looks like the pad has just "gone home" correctly.........

...I concer that the fronts take more weight than the rear...I've never had any problems jacking on the rear ones....on the fronts (i used the area for jacking before I even fitted pads)....I had a very slight bend on the drivers side...on the pad only (remember the front pad is a welded stand off plate on my car)...so still no contact with the floor pan and no deformation of the chassis etc even after 10ys of jacking from that point!....mind you I always (for long jobs over 1hr) support on the sills reinforced jack points with axle stands!......and my sills are still as straight as the day they left the factory!!!... B)

• 3 months later...

Any tips on an axle stand location at the rear?

Just had a look at my Scout with a view to perhaps installing jack pads.

How about installing twin pads at the rear - there are two holes, so one pad for the jack, one for the axle stand?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone knowing wether this is possible for the mk3 Octavia?

Yes there is but requires parts from the current audi S3 MQB................well it fits my MK7 golf estate..........fronts but not the rears. There is a member on golfmk7 & Golf GTi called kevinM who has posted up the parts etc but the part no. for the rear ones turn up different & do not fit although they look similar!

Linky:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=269686.0

a way down that page the wedge shape rear ones that I got with the part no he gives are longer & don't fit! I have PM'd him about this & will visit the Audi parts dept again! But the front do fit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Super, many thanks for this clarification! It surely will be beneficial instead of the stupid jacking points shown as stock. :p

What gets me is that the front trim (bigger) piece is removable with one screw & two sliding lock tabs as if it is meant to be easily removable..........all this reveals is the "tower" which the jack pad goes onto.......................so when do they jack directly on the tower then? & why not just fit the jack pads????

Oh & I've have the car up in the air loads whilst doing work on the underneath............................jack pads rule!

• 1 month later...