tyre pressure question ? whats the corect pressure ?

hi guys ive just gone from normal 14inch fabia wheels to vrs alloys 205-45-16 and ive got another 300 mile round trip in 2days and wanted to check the tyre pressure ive got 31psi in them at the moment and they look flat i had 31psi in my standard wheels and they looked fine whats the corect presure ? thanks

Correct pressures for a vRS on original tyres are front: 2.3 bar, back: 2.2 bar. My current inflater can be switched to Bar so I use those figures - which approximate to 33.4/31.9 psi. It's possible your car might run something slightly less assuming it weighs less

Edited by DRJ

Even with the right wheels for the car I'd only coinsider the pressures on the filler cap a starting guide.

Different tyres, different driving styles etc

A 1.2 petrol is probabably a good 150KG lighter than the VRS, with different suspension setup and what have you.

If the book is 34 32 or something then starting there would be fine, id start a bit lower on the front though as the engine is much lighter.

thanks guys seems i wasnt far of with 31psi its just it looks asif they are flat with 31psi plus theres loads of road roar from tyres does anybody else suffer from this seems to be coming from the front and the fronts are proper bridgestones i will let you know the make of all tyres in the morning thanks for the advice tho cheers

thanks guys seems i wasnt far of with 31psi its just it looks asif they are flat with 31psi plus theres loads of road roar from tyres does anybody else suffer from this seems to be coming from the front and the fronts are proper bridgestones i will let you know the make of all tyres in the morning thanks for the advice tho cheers

Compared to your old wheel/tyre set up you will get a lot more tyre noise regardless of the make (unless they are slicks) as the amount of tread on the road is significantly larger. There is also more rolling resistance.

What is on fuel flap should be just a guideline. It really depend on what your tyres looked like. If you had 30 and you pumped 35psi in two weeks but your tyres are wearing in a middle of the thread then common sense is telling you to drive on a little bit less. Dont be affraid to experiment with pressure. Its your car and your driving style. When you think "tyre pressure for my car" there much more to take in consideration like load, conditions, mpg, comfort & drivinf style. I found that for smaller wheels good starting point is somewhere beetween 32-35PSI and bigger wheels (over 17s) 35-40PSI and all that depend on tyres and others.

Dont be affraid to change it 2-3PSI. Its not that hard to maintain it and know what is going on with your car.

As far as noise it might be down to tyre type like you said but as well correct wheel alignment as then your tyres will saw-toothing and create additional road noise.

Personally, I'd keep the pressure the same. 31psi in a vRS sized tyre is exactly as hard as 31psi in your non-vRS tyre, it just takes less air to achieve that level of pressure. So assuming that the weight of your car resting on those tyres hasn't changed, you should only need the same pressure.

edit - obviously there are other factors like your new tyres could have stiffer sidewalls or higher load ratings etc, but you'd get that even changing your standard sized tyres anyway and you'd probably still use the same pressure in those.

Edited by gac

My fronts always look low on pressure too, but my gauge says 32 PSI