The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

Richard, how have you wired yours in?

Permanent live or on and off with ignition?

What have you done with the wiring for the rear camera? I want to put it through the cable with all the other ones, but not done it yet?

Mike

They are on ignition live feeds, so record about 20 seconds after you switch the car on. I don't use parking mode.

Front is wired direct to the fusebox.

Rear is wired to the ignition live on the rear wiper, saves running cable trough from the tailgate to the car.

Some footage from the latest "Briskoda How Fast" day.

My best of two hot laps, coming in at 1:36.086. A pretty respectable time for a 4x4 diesel Yeti that I was very happy with.

As you can see, I was going for it!

Some footage from practice, Yeti chasing down a couple of Octavia VRS estates...

Lastly, some pics...

I'm sure the towbar makes it go faster! :D

howfast20122b.jpg

howfasty1.jpg

howfasty2.jpg

Just shows what a well rounded and capable vehicle the Yeti is. :rock:

• Like 3

Thanks for that. As I park around London in some of the nicest of places I use parking mode, but when I get home I unplug them.

Your way seems better, just wish I could sort out something a little easier to use. I occasionally forget to plug them in!

• Like 1

By the way, how easy was it to access the rear wiper motor live wire?

Quite easy, I got my auto-electrician to do it. ;)

From what I remember it's just a case of removing the interior boot panel so you can get at it, then test until you find the right one.

You could always add one of those power magic boxes behind the panel to give you parking mode with no need to remember about switching it off.

• Like 1

Hmmm.

Just looked into them and it looks like a good solution. All I need to find then is a suitable place to mount in the rear hatch and a permanent live!!!

I rarely leave the car on the street for more than 4 hours, so that is all the time I need it to cover me for.

Just looked into them and it looks like a good solution. All I need to find then is a suitable place to mount in the rear hatch and a permanent live!!!

I think you mean ignition live, but yes, it sounds like a good option.

I think you mean ignition live, but yes, it sounds like a good option.

No.... I mean permanent live so I could use parking mode. St least I think that is what the power magic box needs to work.

The front will be easy to sort out and fit the power magic box, but it is the back that I'm not sure about. I would like parking mode enabled for the rear camera as well. I just need to find out if there is a permanent live in the rear hatch somewhere. If not may just have to do what you have done and only work with ignition on.

No, the magic box charges itself up while the power source is there and the camera is running, then gives you so many hours of stored power to keep parking mode working once the ignition feed is removed. Without draining the battery.

So it works very well on an ignition live.

I have just spoke to TTW, one of the many distributors.

They told me it needs both! (plus earth!)

They also said that the central locking will have a permanent live, so there should be the right number of 'lives' in the rear hatch.

I guess I now have to bite the bullet, find a good auto electrician and get it sorted before the cold weather.

As far as I can tell, it uses the car battery, and when the voltage drops below a certain point it switches off the camera. Or you can have it running for a set time before it turns off, possibly a mixture! When the voltage then increases over a predetermined level, the unit then powers up the camera again.

Saw ,"Twins" and had thoughts of when Mrs V told me that juniour was on way. WHEW - One ,mind you -way back in the 70's , you sat back with Dad in law, and got sloshed. These days, you get kitted up in cap & gown, and try to stay out of reach of NO2 - great for engines, no so good for prospective dads who wifey wants support. Been there in both ages and got the hangover with Dad , and looked a total prat with gown.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well just ordered a blackvue dr400g hd 2, I think you should ask TTW for commission BossFox.

This will go in the front of the Yeti and also the Mitsibishi Evo 5 when rallying, hope it can take the rough ride of the evo?

Having read FocusZetec's Yeti thread and looking at his big brakes is pointing me towards an upgrade.

I drove my wife's 1.2 DSG Yeti today. After the Nissan with it's huge 400mm discs and my 170 CR Yeti with it's 312mm discs the brakes on the 1.2 came as something of an unwelcome surprise. By comparision they are not good once up to a decent speed.

They worried me this morning when a BMW decided to share my lane at about 45mph on the A12 with no indicating, while I was happily plodding along at around 70mph.

Plan is a big brake kit for my 170CR and then put the brakes from mine on the wife's 1.2 DSG.

Just need to find out what the largest discs are I can get behind the Annapurnas with a big caliper, as the 312mm discs will be transplanted onto the 1.2...

• 1 month later...

Funny, Matterhorns were one option I was considering as I sold the steelies. Dont suppose you managed a half decent discount on a set?

Yours dont look like 225/55 rubber though.... maybe darker wheels make the overall tyre/wheel appear smaller? Love the style of them though. :love:

So you have 225/55 17 Winter tyres? Very interesting.

They do look good, particularly on the Matterhorns and particularly with the retro centre caps (Pasty Boy's?)

Yes, 225/55R17 tyres. Same width, but 10% more sidewall. Overall 3% bigger rolling radius, so the speedo is still not under reading.

The caps are genuine Skoda ones from a Citigo. :)

(Not that here is anything wrond with Pasty's badges, but I can get these within 24 hours.

Funny, Matterhorns were one option I was considering as I sold the steelies. Dont suppose you managed a half decent discount on a set?

Yours dont look like 225/55 rubber though.... maybe darker wheels make the overall tyre/wheel appear smaller? Love the style of them though. :love:

I always negotiate a discount. ;)

Mind you, I do put a little business through Preston Motors in East London.

They look more butch in person, I agree they look smaller in the pictures.

Yes, 225/55R17 tyres. Same width, but 10% more sidewall. Overall 3% bigger rolling radius, so the speedo is still not under reading.

The caps are genuine Skoda ones from a Citigo. :)

(Not that here is anything wrond with Pasty's badges, but I can get these within 24 hours.

I always negotiate a discount. ;)

Mind you, I do put a little business through Preston Motors in East London.

They look more butch in person, I agree they look smaller in the pictures.

I should have known as I have got a set of CitiGo caps on my winter Spitzbergs. Did you have any trouble fitting them? I had to file a bevelled edge to the cap prongs to get them to fit into the hole.

If 225/55 17s are only 3% bigger than 225/50 17s then that sounds fine as the 225/50 17s are smaller than the otherwise 215/60 16s OE fit on other trim levels; so the 225/55 17s are probably only 1.5% bigger than 215/61 16s - if that makes (any) sense.

Yes, the badges were a pain to fit.

You have to put a lot of pressure on them to get them to pop into the wheel while trying to keep them level or they just fly off!

I got them on without modifying them through brute force. :)

I don't think you could go any bigger on the tyres, as you turn the front wheels the back edge of the tyre comes within about 2mm of the arch lining.

There is lots of height clearence, but little in front and behind.