Useful tools for the budding DIY and techie alike

Tech1e

Useful post ross, if there were a thanks button I would press it but ther isn't so I'll give you a :p instead

Off hand do you know,Is there a special spanner for counter holding the power steering pump hub so you can rremove the pulley for the 20v engines? I'm sure I've seen one somewhere with a Large circular centre hole then 3 smaller holes surrounding it..?

Also there is a special little t shaped tool with a stud coming out the bottom for compressing the cam chain tensioner on the 20v engines, I used to have one but I lost it, is there a tool number for that still?

Useful post ross, if there were a thanks button I would press it but ther isn't so I'll give you a :p instead

Off hand do you know,Is there a special spanner for counter holding the power steering pump hub so you can rremove the pulley for the 20v engines? I'm sure I've seen one somewhere with a Large circular centre hole then 3 smaller holes surrounding it..?

Also there is a special little t shaped tool with a stud coming out the bottom for compressing the cam chain tensioner on the 20v engines, I used to have one but I lost it, is there a tool number for that still?

Yes to both, the tensioner tool is a M5 bolt, but tbh it's a lot easier to undo the two 10mm bolts, take the damper out and compress it in a vice and pin it, then refit. As for the counter hold tool there are two I know of. One is a hinged rod with two pins in, might have a spare one of them, I'll have a look.

Edit, cam chain not belt, yes I have a few of them. I'll get number or see if I can find one for you.

I seem to remember that when you purchase a new chai tensioner from vw (or skoda) it comes supplied with one becuse it comes pre-tensioned ready to fit. I remember bying the tool from the seat dealer in Portsmouth for about £5 but I can't remember the number for it now and the delearship has since changed hands and they are less willing to help folks now.

Edit: apologies for cluttering up this thread. Found the pulley holdng tool I was looking for

sealey-vs0901-sealey-water-pump-pulley-locking-wrenches-round-vag-car-tools-and-stuff.jpg

only £20 odd quid too, also does some of the water pump pulleys too.

Yeah that's right Tom it does come with the new tensioner

6fbaeab3.jpg

The other tool is a holding tool, fits a lot of pulleys especially the viscous ones (number 3212)

But the PAS pump on the 1.8T by the manual is counterheld with a 9mm allen key up the centre, a'la.

472a9443.jpg

Ah, thanks for that, I was unaware that there was a hex socket inside the centre of the pulley, the pump I have came from a breakers yard so the it's a bit dirty, strange thing is I can't remember ever having to take a pulley off to remove the pump on a polo or lupo, must be a slightly different pump design or maybe my memory is failing me.