Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi engine

Hi obi604,

I own one with 7dsg for about 8 months already with about 9,000km now (about 2 months sitting still in the parking building to get out of water during the Big Flooding in Thailand Oct - Nov 11). This engine runs smoothly and so quiet, start working strongly from 1500rpm. Since mine is quite new, there's no sign of problem at all. This engine is so sweet when you need to accelerate quickly and this makes me feel like I want a fast acceleration too often :yes:, and as a result, I also have to visit gas station very often. :( All in all "Good Engine" go for it.

Hello

Seriously thinking of buying the Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi engine

Any comments on the 1.8 tsi engine ?

Is it reliable ?

Is it fast from low revs ?

Any known problems with this 1.8 tsi petrol engine ?

1.Yes it is reliable mines nearly 18 months old now and has 69,000 on the clock with out a problem.

2.Depends what you call fast you need to drive it I think its OK but not compared to the Bikes I used to ride.

3. They do rattle a bit and when sat at idle with the windows down is unsettling at first.

*waits for lol*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

Nothing can beat this engine apparently.......apart from everything else above 160bhp! :rofl:

1.Yes it is reliable mines nearly 18 months old now and has 69,000 on the clock with out a problem.

2.Depends what you call fast you need to drive it I think its OK but not compared to the Bikes I used to ride.

3. They do rattle a bit and when sat at idle with the windows down is unsettling at first.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Is this rattling thing a known problem

Mine is nearly 4 years old and has been 100% reliable. Max torque is from 1500rpm and the turbo kicks in around 2000rpm so it's very flexible. I had mine remapped in May 2010 so is very quick but even as standard it has plenty of punch. Mine doesn't rattle at idle so can't comment on this. Mine is very quiet, even with the bonnet open. An excellent engine - can be economical too.

Mine is nearly 4 years old and has been 100% reliable. Max torque is from 1500rpm and the turbo kicks in around 2000rpm so it's very flexible. I had mine remapped in May 2010 so is very quick but even as standard it has plenty of punch. Mine doesn't rattle at idle so can't comment on this. Mine is very quiet, even with the bonnet open. An excellent engine - can be economical too.

Thanks.

Thats what I like to hear.

What BHP did the remap bring it up to ?

Is it best to get these cars in the Manual or automatic gearbox ?

Rattling??????,I think the person must be thinking of the diesel.I have had my Scout for 20 months and it is great very queit ,and smooth acceleration cannot fault it.

For the UK people on this forum

I just did a search on autotrader.co.uk and skoda.co.uk

I searched for the 1.8 tsi engine

there seems to be a load of them in 2011, 60 or so

but only 1 of them in 2010

anyone know why there are so few Skoda Octavia's 1.8 tsi cars in the UK in 2010 ?

Thanks.

Thats what I like to hear.

What BHP did the remap bring it up to ?

Is it best to get these cars in the Manual or automatic gearbox ?

The remap added 40hp and 65lb/ft so roughly 200hp and 250lb/ft. You can only remap the manual as the 7 speed DSG can't handle the extra torque apparently.

probably so few because its only available with dsg in the elegance and l&k I presume

So are you saying for 2010 that the 1.8 tsi was only available in l&k and elegance and thats why there are so few of these cars in 2010

2011 has quiet a few elegances but mainly SE plus

You can only get the DSG box in Elegance or L&K spec.

The SE Plus has a slightly different map and produces 152hp against the 160hp of the Elegance / L&K.

im not specifically talking about the DSG gearbox, just in general

Im just wondering why there are so few skoda octavia 1.8 tsi's for sale in the uk from the year 2010

Edited by obi604

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Is this rattling thing a known problem

it may well be the variable cam timing mechanism my09 was done after being "flagged up" by skoda UK I don't think they were "recalled" formally only a few but worth checking for -- mine didn't rattle but was done under warranty other wise very smooth and happy with it

it may well be the variable cam timing mechanism my09 was done after being "flagged up" by skoda UK I don't think they were "recalled" formally only a few but worth checking for -- mine didn't rattle but was done under warranty other wise very smooth and happy with it

is there fast accelartion in your car ?

Happy with my 1.8TSi with DSG7.

Quick when I need it, perfect in traffic, it prefers premium brand unleaded fuel (super unleaded occasionally) rather than the supermarket stuff if I use that then I put in some Millers EcoMax which seems to help it along.

What I don't like is the way it guzzles petrol at times.

Would I have another? Probably yes, but I might go for the 2.0TFSi vRS next time, dependent on funds.

Mine is a 58 Elegance hatch, manual - no rattles at any speed - at idle I can't hear it at all.

Wonderful engine - mine is over 3 years old though low mileage (22K) no trouble to date, low oil usage.

You can use it for a sporty blast up the road, or poodle around. Mpg on a run can get into the mid 40s.

Rattling??????,I think the person must be thinking of the diesel.I have had my Scout for 20 months and it is great very queit ,and smooth acceleration cannot fault it.

Why would I think my 1.8 TSi is a Diesel?

It sounds very tappety on tickover and has since new I took it back to the dealer when I first got it and was told it was normal for the TSi engine.

It still does it now after 69,000 miles. You cant hear it much unless you have the window open or are under the bonnet with the engine running.

is there fast accelartion in your car ?

not bad considering it's hauling the Haldex in the back around but between steering and a boot full of throtle is goes round bends better than it should B) p.s has never used a drop of oil --some thing I was concerned about before I bought it

Shhhh we do not want everyone to know how good this engine is...

160 bhp plenty of pull from 1500 rpm, NO DPF horrors, 40 mpg and best of all no dreaded timing belt :rofl:

Who needs a diesel?

The 1.8 tsi in any form is the best kept secret in the Skoda lineup

Edited by PC1212