Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi engine

Shhhh we do not want everyone to know how good this engine is...

160 bhp plenty of pull from 1500 rpm, NO DPF horrors, 40 mpg and best of all no dreaded timing belt :rofl:

Who needs a diesel?

The 1.8 tsi in any form is the best kept secret in the Skoda lineup

Totally agree - and I bet it isn't 160 bhp either.

Love mine, plenty of every day power and will suprise many other cars who do not expect a non VRS octavia go so well. Can easily get 40mpg and if you drive very very carefully even up to 45mpg on a run.

Mine broke down at 19K miles with an injector stuck open leaving me stuck by the side of the road in a cloud of smoke and warning lights on but by all accounts I was very unlucky as this is rare. Still love my 1.8TSi though despite that problem.

IIRC, you only need to replace the chain if it SOUNDS like it needs changing; it's unlikely to 'snap' like a cambelt.

How the hell is everyone getting 40's/mid 40's on their fuel economy?!! My manual '58 plate L&K reularly steadily gets to mid 30's, but it takes a fair old steady run to get it to even crawl over 40 mpg on my maxidot! And I drive like an old biddy most of the time, so how are you lot doing it?!! :doh:

IIRC, you only need to replace the chain if it SOUNDS like it needs changing; it's unlikely to 'snap' like a cambelt.

How the hell is everyone getting 40's/mid 40's on their fuel economy?!! My manual '58 plate L&K reularly steadily gets to mid 30's, but it takes a fair old steady run to get it to even crawl over 40 mpg on my maxidot! And I drive like an old biddy most of the time, so how are you lot doing it?!! :doh:

Im into high 30s with mine and on a steady run it will nudge into the low 40s.

I drive it very hard so perhaps you are not driving it fast enough.

Driving slow dosnt always get the best economy. Try driving a bit quiker.

The best "test" I ever had was on a nearly clear part of M25, coming round south-east from the M1 and passing Heathrow.

I was able to cruise on c/control at a steady 58, watching the mpg readout creep up. It got to about 48.9 just before the M3 congestion.

I was trying to get it to 50 mpg - not quite!

On any similar non stop long run at around about 60 m.p.h. it will get into say 44 to 46 m.p.g. but of course nothing like that around town.

When doing similar cruising at the legal - ahem - 70 mph it will just reach very low 40's.

This, by the way, is on bog standard 95, usually Tesco's [discount] due to shopping (miser that I am) but also Esso 95.

+1

Nothing can beat this engine apparently.......apart from everything else above 160bhp! :rofl:

Not all 1.8 TSi's have 160 BHP ;-)

To the OP, it's a very good engine, no problems with it lugging my Superb along behind it, and I tend to drive in a "spirited" fashion. I am averaging around 40 MPG on a run. it's very quiet and rev's to 7k. I have used about 1/2 litre of oil in 19k, most of that within the first 2 - 3k miles after that, nothing, not a drop used.

In summary, smooth, economical and refined with the potential for very good power / torque gains should you remap it.

The best "test" I ever had was on a nearly clear part of M25, coming round south-east from the M1 and passing Heathrow.

I was able to cruise on c/control at a steady 58, watching the mpg readout creep up. It got to about 48.9 just before the M3 congestion.

I was trying to get it to 50 mpg - not quite!

On any similar non stop long run at around about 60 m.p.h. it will get into say 44 to 46 m.p.g. but of course nothing like that around town.

When doing similar cruising at the legal - ahem - 70 mph it will just reach very low 40's.

This, by the way, is on bog standard 95, usually Tesco's [discount] due to shopping (miser that I am) but also Esso 95.

My 1.8 TSi Superb has done a best of 43.9 MPG on my regular run up to Inverness for work, that's a 420 mile trip at an indicated 80mph and cruise on, last trip I averaged 66mph for the journey and 41mpg.

If they had released the 2.0 TSi before I bought my 1.8 I would "probably" have bought that, but I do love this engine.

My 1.8 TSi Superb has done a best of 43.9 MPG on my regular run up to Inverness for work, that's a 420 mile trip at an indicated 80mph and cruise on, last trip I averaged 66mph for the journey and 41mpg.

If they had released the 2.0 TSi before I bought my 1.8 I would "probably" have bought that, but I do love this engine.

Is the 2.0 TSI = Octavia VRS

Or am I totally wrong here ?

Not all 1.8 TSi's have 160 BHP ;-)

To the OP, it's a very good engine, no problems with it lugging my Superb along behind it, and I tend to drive in a "spirited" fashion. I am averaging around 40 MPG on a run. it's very quiet and rev's to 7k. I have used about 1/2 litre of oil in 19k, most of that within the first 2 - 3k miles after that, nothing, not a drop used.

In summary, smooth, economical and refined with the potential for very good power / torque gains should you remap it.

so which ones do have the 160 BHP

only the elgance and l&k is it ?

I think he's talking about tinkering with the spec!

I was :-) ...but the SE Plus has the Euro V 152PS engine, same as fitted to my Superb, which is now pushing a proven 210 :-)

I think he's talking about tinkering with the spec!

oh ok, get ya now : )

But just on the matter, I think the "SE PLUS" Octivia 1.8 tsi has less horse power than the elegance by default.

Edited by obi604

oh ok, get ya now : )

But just on the matter, I think the "SE PLUS" Octivia 1.8 tsi has less horse power than the elegance

It does mate, the 152PS Euro V engine, same as fitted to my SE Plus Superb.

Hmmm, sounds similar if I can do over 20 miles (that's the distance to work and if I pooter to that destination I can sometimes hit the low 40's), just amazed that anyone's consistantly getting mid 40's where I can only do it by trying really hard over 30+ miles! :doh: