1.2 htp long-term ownership possibilities?

poloHTP

Hi guys,been an owner of a VW polo mk 8 for about 8 months now,and am pretty pretty pleased with it,particularly the sweet,Skoda-developed 1.2 HTP (70ps) motor.I suppose TSI technology is the way forward nowadays,but the idea of the HTP's comparatively simplicity and character which really appeals to me.What I really want to ask is what is long-term ownership of the HTP like? Would it cope with a long motoring tour of Europe? What weaknesses (and strengths) do I need to look out for and is there still a place for the HTP in the modern motoring world?

The wife used to have a 1.2 12v 70 bhp silver line estate and then a Fabia MkII Blueline with the same 3 pot engine.

Cracking little engine and almost bullit proof. Needs to be revved to get the most out of it, can hold its own on the motor way.

0-60, not the fastest, loverly sound when revved

• Like 1

The HTP (70) is a cracking little engine. VERY low maintenance and powerful enough for long journeys. As I have posted a number of times if you exceed 70mph it drinks petrol in alcoholic proportions but respect this little engine and it will go on and on while keeping a smile on your face and with a fuel consumption in excess of 50mpg. All I can say is that I moved from a BMW 528 to my little number and I don't miss the power at all. Just respect it for what it is, a 1.2, 3 pot and you'll be amazed. I know the Tsi has the better performance but each engine has to be respected for what it is. Long term ownership? I don't see a problem. Have had mine around 18 trouble free months and love it as much as the day I first drove it. :thumbup: :love: !!!

We have htp(70) and TSi 105 DSG. Around town and urban driving the htp is really fun and full of charachter, For Urban type driving I prefer the htp over the tsi or my Passat.

The htp will do motorway speeds without issue but at 70+ fuel economy really suffers. At 60-70mph it feels relaxed and economy is OK, at 70-80 the noise rises significantly and the economy drops away.

The TSi's refinement is in a different league, it's nearly silent when you are not pushing it. Even at 70-80mph the engine is relaxed although ours has a 7 spped box with tall 7th gear. Economy still suffers at 70-80mph due to the Fabia's poor aerodynamics but it's still a better motorway partner than the htp.

Both cars are a not a patch on a big 2.0Tdi for high speed motorway work though, there's no comparison at an 80mph cruise for refinement and economy.

So yes the htp(70) is a great engine, simple, reliable, full of charachter and is fine if 60-70mph is your happy motorway speed and still has good pickup at that speed. If it's high speed motorway work you need then yes the TSI's are better but not massively so, you'd be better off with a bigger diesel hatch or saloon with better aerodynamics.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

We have the 59bhp version. I would say it is a good little car for local/urban driving but find it lacks power on anything above the national speed limit. Yes it can sit at 70-80 but it is hard work and fuel consumption suffers as a result. I have not driven the 70hp model so can't say if thats any better. I also find the seats uncomfortable after an hour or so but then again im a big bloke and ours is the Fabia (1), dont know if the 2 or 3 had better seats?

HTP stands for high torque performance, however i constantly find myself changing gear if looking to make progress- something i dont need to do in the Octavia.

On the positive, it is really spacious inside for such a small car and the boot is reasonable. They are cheap to run/maintain as there is no cambelt to change on these as they are chain driven. Also the three spark plugs are easy to get to as they are at the front of the engine.

Oh and the engine sounds awesome! Give it some revs and it sounds like a 911/small vR6.

A good little car, but if i was looking to tour like you, had the choice and bit more money, i think i'd go for the 1.4 TDI. Take one for a test drive but make sure you get it on a motorway/duel to see how it is.

Neil.

I agree with all above, I love the engine.

last summer I drove 6500 km through Europe without any problems ( except crazy french and spanish drivers). Never really felt underpowered, not even through Kassel. Did approx.13 km/l with 3 persons + bagage and with aircon on for the most of the time.

No issues with the engine so far.

Bgds Dan

I've had mine for almost 3 years (70bhp) - i do about 300 motorway miles a week at the moment.

As others have said, it will cruise well at 70mph, but it does drink a lot of fuel.

If you drop your speed to about 62 mph the economy is a lot better.

It's a lot better on the motorway than i thought it would be!

Thanks everybody for your responses-almost all positive! I think the consensus appears to be that,yes, the HTP does have it's limitations,mostly to do with power,but stay within it's obvious parameters,and it'll serve you well,even to the point of long distance touring. Going forward,as a possible long-term keeper,I hope that the relatively simple engine will repay loyalty,and a relaxed driving style,with a hopefully robust and almost trouble-free running record

Thanks everybody for your responses-almost all positive! I think the consensus appears to be that,yes, the HTP does have it's limitations,mostly to do with power,but stay within it's obvious parameters,and it'll serve you well,even to the point of long distance touring. Going forward,as a possible long-term keeper,I hope that the relatively simple engine will repay loyalty,and a relaxed driving style,with a hopefully robust and almost trouble-free running record

Had a day out yestersday, run over to Lowdham caravans then over to see my parents then back home. About 80 miles of A roads (mostly 50mph limit) and B roads.

Three sets of keys on the table, Passat 2.0CR DSG, Fabia 1.2 TSi, Fabia 1.2 HTP70. Yep I grabbed the HTP, it's a great drive at low speeds, the three pot soundtrack and low gearing gives you the feel of driving so much quicker.

So really enjoyed the drive out and averaged 51mpg on the computer, can't grumble with that.

Cheers

Lee

I'm a Fabia 2 HTP(70) owner.

I drive around 30miles (60m round trip) to work everyday, I have two main officies that I visit regually.

One is very rural and it's 50/60 single carriage ways the entire way. This journey is lovely, the htp is brilliant at 50-60mph range, I get about 45-50mpg even gunning it through the gears all day long.

Office number two is in a nearby major town, it's duel carriage way nearly all the way. It's a far less enjoyable journey, If I hold the engine at a very steady 70mph then it sits at about 35mpg, the second you start heading for 80 it bottoms out. This journey has actually caused me to consider getting a bigger engined disel car.

In short - if your using it to whizz about town, short journeys, or rural long journeys, it's great fun (It rolls ALOT in corners, but you'll get used to the roll quickly and know how far you can push it...hilarious to scare passnegers though). Duel Carriage ways and motorways for a long period are a no-no, not for this car at all.

Oh and the only other point - watch out for sideways winds, it's a tall boxy car (I think it looks good though), but the wind dosn't half catch it!

I'm a Fabia 2 HTP(70) owner.

I drive around 30miles (60m round trip) to work everyday, I have two main officies that I visit regually.

One is very rural and it's 50/60 single carriage ways the entire way. This journey is lovely, the htp is brilliant at 50-60mph range, I get about 45-50mpg even gunning it through the gears all day long.

Office number two is in a nearby major town, it's duel carriage way nearly all the way. It's a far less enjoyable journey, If I hold the engine at a very steady 70mph then it sits at about 35mpg, the second you start heading for 80 it bottoms out. This journey has actually caused me to consider getting a bigger engined disel car.

In short - if your using it to whizz about town, short journeys, or rural long journeys, it's great fun (It rolls ALOT in corners, but you'll get used to the roll quickly and know how far you can push it...hilarious to scare passnegers though). Duel Carriage ways and motorways for a long period are a no-no, not for this car at all.

Oh and the only other point - watch out for sideways winds, it's a tall boxy car (I think it looks good though), but the wind dosn't half catch it!

I think you do the car a disservice. Mine will cruise at 80 and certainly does not bottom out as you say. I have driven Lincolnshire to Fort William and back in comfort and I can honestly say that I have to go well above the 70 mph to drop anywhere near 35mpg.In fact at a constant 70 I would expect nearer 40 mpg Cross winds are not a problem and we do get plenty of those in the wide open spaces I live. To say that motorways are a no no for this car really surprises me as I love taking mine on the motorway where it is more than happy to cruise along and has plenty of overtaking power to pass the wagons etc. At normal speeds the car corners really well and only leans at all if you take the corners too fast or do not get the line right. As I have said before, this is a 3 Cyl powered car on standard suspension. Treat it correctly and there is no better car in its class for me.

I get about 39mpg doing 70mpg and some urban driving. I get around 32-34mpg urban, drops significantly in the winter and with air con on. I averaged about 43mpg in my mark 1 1.2htp (64bhp) estate. heavier, but smaller wheels, gear ratios different maybe?

At the risk of stirring the usual SUK trolls that lurk around here and got me before, buying a 1.2htp is a bit of pot luck. Get one thats been built well (possibly on Tues -Thurs) and been installed in your Fabia correctly (i.e. level) then they are pretty acceptable. My Mk1 64bhp AZQ was like that. My Mk2 70bhp BMZ is however installed on the pish (search threads about whether engine should be level or not), is noisy, drinks fuel like an alcoholic and does indeed "bottom out" i.e. gets asthmatic at 80mph.

Its only saving grace is its dead easy and cheap to look after if you DIY (But dealers charge as much to service it as most other cars in the Skoda range i.e. far too much)

Usual comment about mpg plummeting above 60+ mph applies.

My sons new Octavia 1.2tsi is much much nicer and significantly more economical even though its not run in yet.

I vow never to buy another 1.2htp........

If you spend most of your time on motorways/dual carriageways travelling fast then the 1.2htp is a false economy. Its an engine suited to bobbing around town or going to the shops - even then the poor fuel economy is questionable.

By the way my Mk1 is still in service with the daughter in law on 120,000 miles/8 years mostly DIY servicing - no engine problems apart from coil pak failures. Only other major comment is never, never fit solid console bushes to replace the original voided ones if you value quietness and comfort. Turns the car into a dustbin on wheels.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1