Cylinder 2 misfire any one have an idea of what to check next?

If you have full history then it costs nothing for a dealer to ask. There is a TPi on them for certain engine codes for this issue so you may get a kit for your car, this includes a new cylinder head, cat and all the sealers and bolts required. The kit was very cheap at one point, cheaper than a cat on its own.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so just a quick final update (just in case it's useful for anyone else in the future.). I spoke to my local dealership who said there was no known issues with this engine code and so it would be unlikely to be covered via warranty especially given the age of my car (despite its low milage). They said I could bring it in and have all the work done then after they'd tell me if it would be covered by them or not. Seemed like an expensive risk to take! So I returned it the Brookroyds in Harrogate who were brilliant. They had the cylinder head off and replaced all the valves (2 were cracked and split on cylinder 2 hence the low compression see pic below) but I thought whilst the head is off no point in not changing the others. Had it back within a couple of days and problem solved. A sadly expensive end to a annoyingly intermittent fault!

Big thanks to Tech1e and others who gave suggestions and help!

IMG_20120404_131505.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted but that's not the cheapest of outcomes. On the warranty front you have two years under EU law and in theory 'up to' 7 years from new but the SOGA also makes it clear that an allowance for reasonable wear and tear can be deducted as age increases and VW don't want anything to do with a car that's over 6 years old. If you have FMDSH you may find the discretionary discount is applied on jobs like this and the brand 'may' contribute a % to parts but it's going to be small by now so you probably made the right call.

• 11 months later...

So after 10 months of happy motoring the faults have returned ish.... So the garage rebuilt the cylinder head last year with all new valves and seals. The cracks in the old valves (as shown in the picture above) remain fairly un explained.

About a week ago it misfired at idle (not technically true, I was sat idling, it was juddering a little as it always has then the engine management light began to flash. Plugged in the fault code reader and it registered a pending fault of misfire on cylinder 1. Spoke to the garage that carried out the work and they said to monitor see what happens. I swapped the coil packs around to check it's wasn't them and also did a resistance check on all 3 of them that was all as it should be.

Unfortunately today it did the exact same thing again showing pending fault of misfire on cylinder 1. I've now swapped the spark plugs round they all looked fine but wanted to see if the misfire followed.

What do people think? Take it back to the garage? Does it should like I might be unlucky enough to suffer the same fate as last time? Very aware I have about a month before the warranty on the work they carried out runs out. Although I can't see what they could have done for it to be fine for so long and suddenly go again!

Apologies for the long post and resurrecting such an old post!

Do you have any photos of the cylinder head, valve seats etc. other than the pic of the cracked valve you've posted?

Did the garage mention having checked the valve guides for play?

I suspect the root cause of the problem was not addressed 10 months ago. New valves are all well and good, but something caused the originals to have a foreshortened life, and if that something was not corrected, no real reason to expect the new valves to last (unless the original valves themselves were faulty of course).

I'm sure I've read something on here about poorly fitted or poorly machined valve seats on a 1.2 (think it was a 6-valve, not sure), have a search around.

Some background reading here: http://www.mechanicsupport.com/exhaust_valve_leak.html

• 1 year later...

hi just read your faults and problem with interest as my 1.2 bmd engine had the same idling problems leading to stalling

did find tha my rad relay wires were crossed wired crossed them back and  my rad fad now works on A/C

so have you checked that you rad works when you turn on the A/C

I also had bubbles in my expansion tank

in the end the car had two cracked exhaust valves so after a rebuild

i am gutted to find that i still have same fault once more with misfire in cylinder no2-

so after much trawling through websites on VW polo BMD engine someone suggested ECU relay problem so i am currently exploring that option as well as air flow and like you will clean and check my injectors

clearly the exhaust valve damage is the effect but what is the cause i still have no idea

have you found an answer to  the problem?

I would really interested to find a solution because when cold and at speed the car is sweet sounding

pity we have to slow down?

• 5 months later...

So after a long time since my last post I"m afraid to say there's need to resurrect  this again! The missfire I mentioned in march 2013 stopped happening. Unfortunately I now have a missfire as bad as the first issue on cylinder 3 (the only one that hasn't registered a missfire before. Swapped coil packs and sparks but the code stayed on cylinder 3. I think I'll be booking it back in to have the compression checked and further investigations in coming weeks........will update this post just in case it's helpful for anyone with a similar issue. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Same sort of things happening now with my sons Fabia 1.2 it seems Ben, and it's April 2017.  It's my lads 3 pot Fabia 1.2 that's caused this particular problem this time... ordinarily he potters around in his Fabia and promises he never loads up its engine! but recently (uncharacteristically) he's  been "canning the thing" he says, when he's doing long fast runs to see his friends and his extended family who are quite away-away and up to 30 miles away infact.

I take on all said above, about how valves can burn up in these Skoda mills and how loads of dosh can get spent sorting out the trouble, and that sometimes things never get sorted, and sadly sometimes another Skoda will get crushed and sent up to the great auto god who resides in the ski (if that's where gods of any description or type really do reside?) but in this instance I don't wanna see my kids dosh evaporate into nothingness... but please forget about what I just said or what I want, or anything anyone wants or anything, what's the fix with these Skoda Fabia not idling properly and with engine light on?