DAB Radio

according to the site, it only works with "Blaupunkt Stream, Audience, Swing, Bolero Head Units"

shame it doesn't work with the columbus. It doesnt work with Volkswagen's RNS510 either :'(

And it re broadcasts the DAB audio to the head unit via FM. The DAB data is probably via radio text which isn't on the Columbus unit.

I stream Internet radio to my Columbus from my iPhone via Bluetooth, works pretty well most of the time and it is free.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/newsuk/News/Pages/New%C5%A0KODAYetiUrbanLimited-editionSUVtargetsstyle-savvycustomers.aspx

Well how hard was that? DAB radio as standard in a Yeti.......by some accounts - the Skoda impossible dream!

My Superb order remains on hold until they get their fingers out or a similarly appealing DAB equipped model from a competitor appears.....a more likely scenario I suspect!

Jim

http://www.skoda.co....ycustomers.aspx

Well how hard was that? DAB radio as standard in a Yeti.......by some accounts - the Skoda impossible dream!

My Superb order remains on hold until they get their fingers out or a similarly appealing DAB equipped model from a competitor appears.....a more likely scenario I suspect!

Jim

I've got a Superb Elegance on order and will put up with no DAB as I intend to use internet radio. I've been advised by Skoda UK that it is there intention to have DAB available in the Superb by the end of this year but no definite date has been set. I've been waiting since Jun'11 so I'm not going to wait further for an indeterminate date.There was an announcement by Skoda CZ last April that DAB would be available for MY12 and it is available, I think, in some other countries that do not fit the Columbus as standard. I think Skoda UK chose not to take the Amundsen+ unit for MY12 as they could not offer a DAB option to their Superb Elegance customers...probably the right thing to do? I'd have been right cheesed off if it were available and yet I couldn't spec it. The Columbus is also not standard but optional in the Passat which is why VW can offer DAB to everyone at least as an option.

Some stream at 12 Kbs, other can stream at 128 Kbs... The higher the rate, the better the audio quality and the more data you have to download. Some radio apps allow you to set the rate. A station streaming at 56 Kilobits per second (which is a fairly decent quality), uses approx 25 MB per hour.

I have held off ordering my Superb CR170 DSG due to the long and unspecified delays in producing the car, lack of choice of seat colour (L&K = dog poo brown only) and lack of DAB (for no reason at all.) If I find that the VAT offer ends on Sunday then I will be buying another brand anyway. Hello Skoda, anyone listening to a potential customer? Shame because everything else is fine...

I'm not aware that anyone streams anything as low as 12kbps and I don't think it would sound too good. Stream bitrate will depend on what the broadcaster is putting out there and what software if any you are using, what your listening device supports etc, etc. There are MP3 streams, WMA streams and AAC streams which are possible the best. The BBC varies (they have WMA and AAC streams) from a 48kbps WMA stream for 5 Live up to a 320kbps AAC stream for Radio 3.

Working on an average 128kbps, that equates to approx 57MB of data per hour

For week 22 production, which radio are you getting? Columbus or Amundsen?

In UK I have just been told my build week is 26 (2013 spec like you) with Columbus. Maybe I will get DAB??

Hi Henrik,

Are you absolutely certain that your car will come with a Columbus and with DAB. I have seen similar comments from others in Norway in the last couple of months, referring to MY13 builds but when I asked Skoda UK about a Columbus with DAB they said it would be much later in the year and couldn't give a date. I'm aware that the Columbus is an optional extra in Norway and that the Amundsen+ is fitted as standard to the top-spec model and that's why Skoda in Norway are able to offer DAB...it's available to anyone who wants to pay to upgrade (similar to the VW Passat here).

I'm on build week 18 at the moment and DAB is the only thing missing from my spec and would hate to miss it by 4 weeks!!!!!!! Please can you check and advise.

I'm aware that Norway uses the same DAB system as the UK so the same unit should work here as well. If the Columbus really will have DAB for MY13 then the UK should have it and Skoda UK should make sure that the world's largest DAB market is properly served.

Simon

I have a L&K on order. Production scheduled to be week 18. In Norway it comes with the Amundsen+ with Dab+ as standard.

I do understand that the Columbus is "better" than the Amundsen due to:

- a somewhat larger screen

- an internal harddisk

- DVD functionality

In my opinion it is only the larger screen that is interesting. The Amundsen is faster due to it's flash memory so I have been told.

Am I missing out on something here? Please advice.

I would have expected that radios in development now would already be DAB+. Certainly the radio in my current car, and aftermarket Kenwood unit, has DAB+. This will work with the older DAB like in the UK, and the newer version in some European countries.

Here's to hoping we get it in the UK after week 22, though someone else has pointed out Skoda UK say later in the year.

I would have expected that radios in development now would already be DAB+.

They should be...see my previous post for further info here.

The Govt's Digital Britain Report from 2009 specified that "all digital radio receivers sold in the UK are at least compliant with the WorldDMB receiver profile 1; which includes DAB+ and DMB-A." Therefore any DAB car radio sold in the UK will be able to receive DAB+ & DMB signals should the government and/or broadcasters choose either technology in the future.

i am not sure about the Dab before my new superb is at my dealer ! I meeting my contact over easter. Hope to get all the information about the changes for 2013 spec ! It was not possible to get bad road package on L&K so im ordering Elegance with most extras. In Malachite green with ivory leather (to stand out in a croud) ! Amundsen with dab is standard on L&K in Norway.