LED upgrade to boot lighting

Disappointed with the level of illumination in the boot, I decided an upgrade was required (having done this with Octavia Scout previously I knew the results would be worth the expense.

So I made an offer on these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280801360692

Having first removed one from our Fabia, as the Suberb is not listed as being compatible - the one fitted in fabia was identical to that in the Suberb, so no problem!

This photo shows the original unit (top) and the LED replacement (below)

side-by-side.jpg

As the LED units are a bit universal and fit several different VAG vehicles, a small adaptor cable is supplied also, and in the case of the Suberb is required!

ledunit.jpg

The connector on this cable could do with being a better fit, but does eventually mate, and clip into place

connected.jpg

Not wanting any rattles (and to cover up the exposed ends of the crimps) some hairy tape was then applied.

NB: This tape was not supplied with the two units, I just happened to have it lying around, as you do!

wrapped.jpg

Can you tell which unit is the LED one :giggle:

fitted.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just a quick question regarding retrofitting the Interior Lights of the Skoda Superb II from halogen to LED. Do I need special Can-Bus Error-Free LED bulbs (T10's & Festoon's') or would the Philips Ultinon Vision? Has anyone tried this solutions or can anyone suggest another workable solution. THNX in advance.

Hi Bro., where did u get the LED's from? How much did they cost you and how is the life of the bulbs? THNX and TC.

See post one in this thread for the eBay link....

As for life span as they are LEDs they should last for around 5000 hours - had them in my Octy Scout for around 18 months without any problems :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi, do you think this will fit in the original housing for the luggage lights?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/xtec-canbus-501-w5w-high-power-smd-led-15-x-5050-smd-number-plate/

And, can you remember how you swapped out the puddle (under door mirror) lights? Do you push the door mirrors toward the front of the car and access that way, or do you have to take the mirror out?

Hi, do you think this will fit in the original housing for the luggage lights?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/xtec-canbus-501-w5w-high-power-smd-led-15-x-5050-smd-number-plate/

I tried (and failed) to change the filament bulbs for LEDs into the original housing in the boot. It is a w5w bulb in there, but the mechanism to hold the bulb clamps it in using a live circuit. So if you did put an LED in, it will end up shorting out.

Need to find another use for my fancy LEDs now - tried them in the puddle lights but they're just about 0.5cm too long. Bah.

Here you go. These are the innards of the factory bulb holder.

As you can see, the bulb is held in place by an overly elaborate cradle, which itself will form the live circuit once you clip it back into the boot space.

So you are pretty limited to the type of bulb that you can put in there - i.e. a w5w glass bulb, unless you are able to isolate all exposed circuitry on your LED. Otherwise it will just short out over the first speed bump.

post-99336-0-44674300-1361532451_thumb.jpg

post-99336-0-46850800-1361532459_thumb.jpg

Surely you'd just replace with this type of LED bulb:

IMG_3592.JPG

Although my W5W in the boot are replaced with blue tint ones which emit a whiter light. Upper boot light doesn't really bother me because the internal LED gives out enought light IMO

Whatever LED light I buy they ALWAYS die on me. Put one on the In cab light so it doesn't get used much, a month or so down the line the LED is now flickering when on. :/

Sounds like a poor contact. Try prising out the prongs a little bit.

Although my W5W in the boot are replaced with blue tint ones which emit a whiter light. Upper boot light doesn't really bother me because the internal LED gives out enought light IMO

So you've replaced the upper boot light with LEDs? How did you stop the circuits on the back touching the metal bulb cradle?

So you've replaced the upper boot light with LEDs? How did you stop the circuits on the back touching the metal bulb cradle?

They don’t touch, I have the type with the 4 SMD (on the right in the last photo), now been in the car over 2 years with no issues.

They don’t touch, I have the type with the 4 SMD (on the right in the last photo), now been in the car over 2 years with no issues.

I'll have another go with mine. They are 15 5050 SMDs, very similar to NoWaiting's picture of 18 SMDs. It's all the circuitry on the back that I'm worried about shorting out. And they weren't exactly cheap to buy...

I should have been braver. The LEDs fit inside like a glove. The metal clamps onto the bulb contacts and there is no play. Light is white (not blue, not yellow) and much brighter than the standard bulbs. Makes the yellow of the torch look a little out of place.

• 2 years later...

Here you go. These are the innards of the factory bulb holder.

As you can see, the bulb is held in place by an overly elaborate cradle, which itself will form the live circuit once you clip it back into the boot space.

So you are pretty limited to the type of bulb that you can put in there - i.e. a w5w glass bulb, unless you are able to isolate all exposed circuitry on your LED. Otherwise it will just short out over the first speed bump.

I am about to replace my bulbs in the boot interior. I have the housings out but I can't for the life of me separate the metal box from the clear plastic part. Can anyone help me? Thanks, Matt

Already two years ago I upgraded my boot light with these LED's:

http://www.hypercolor.de/Kofferraumklappe-LED-Lampe-fuer-Superb-3T-Kombi

And they've worked perfectly since. They give so much light, you can easily read a book (or newspaper) in the boot now. It's really perfect when you're looking for something in the otherwise dark boot.

Only disadvantage: The PCB was a little too big to fit inside the light housing, so I had to grind away some material (of the PCB, the light housing is still original).

Here are some pictures:

post-43309-0-79025900-1434476198_thumb.jpg

post-43309-0-96703900-1434476229_thumb.jpg

And a picture of the stock lights (for comparison):

post-43309-0-37059500-1434476244_thumb.jpg

• Like 1