jars' 2005 Fabia vRS

Titanium_Man

Sorry to hear you've been ill pal :(

Front end of your car looks really nice with the black grille and Depo projectors :)

Ref the tailpipe,Dan noticed it did soot up the one pipe when he first had it made.

He took it back and iirc it's something to do with the piece where the single pipe divides into the twin tailpipes. 

Edited by coskev
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear you've been ill pal :(

Front end of your car looks really nice with the black grille and Depo projectors :)

Ref the tailpipe,Dan noticed it did soot up the one pipe when he first had it made.

He took it back and iirc it's something to do with the piece where the single pipe divides into the twin tailpipes.

Cheers, Kev.... Oh and you were right about those pipes for the catch-can not being up to the job, as you can see :p

Yeah that makes sense about the exhaust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kevs right about the exhaust! I can't remember what the bloke said its a long time ago - something to do with the way it's divided into the 2 tail pipes, have a look down the exhaust with a torch and see if there anything poking out inside (diverting flow)

Kevs right about the exhaust! I can't remember what the bloke said its a long time ago - something to do with the way it's divided into the 2 tail pipes, have a look down the exhaust with a torch and see if there anything poking out inside (diverting flow)

Ello stranger.... Not seen you post for a while!!

Coolio, I'll stop thinking about it :p

Hope you're well mate.

I do lurk in the shadows now and again - busy busy now not much time for forums etc :D

Glad to see you're on the mend and the car is back on the road mate - hope that turbo is still treating you well!

Cheers dude. My recovery has been a battle and have some battle scars in the form of hearing aids(!) but I'm still alive and breathing.

The turbo is treating me well, but no surprise really as its only running at about 75% of its potential, for the time being .....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

6E9C4DFE-E009-4A79-9A04-B83149B9FB7C_zps

This came up for sale a couple of weeks ago at a price I wasn't willing to pay at the time, so I initially let it be. For some reason, I woke up one morning and had changed my mind so put in a cheeky offer and after a quick bit of bartering we both walked away happy :)

So after a very long day set out for to Devon at 8am to pickup a T5 to take to Glastonbury, back to Bristol to drop it off and get in my silver Fabia to drive to Kent to get this one, finally arriving back home at 11pm, I now own my second Fabia vRS with this one being a year older, '04 with ~185k miles on the clock. A couple of optional extras; Xenons with headlight washers, cruise control and the better traction control system, a few choice mods that I can sell on; Miltek exhaust, 312's * wind deflectors, black Spiders etc. Also has a very new turbo (I'm hoping for a garrett, but not holding my breath) clutch & DMF and a very silent gearbox :rock: It has a solid sounding engine with no rattles, misfires or lumpy idle.

So what are my plans...... well, firstly I need to decide if I'm keeping the bumper and bigger washer bottle, getting it resprayed and put on my silver one :P I've always liked the look of them on the vRS and it's just been handed to me on a plate! The thing is, I can't get away from trying to make as much money as I can from selling parts in the hope I can generate enough cash to cover the 'box rebuild/refurbishment and installation of the LSD inbox into my silver vRS, so it's not an easy decision.

There's a few bits on my silver one that no longer work, or not fully functional, such as the air-con hasn't worked for a while and have always planned to try and get it fixed and rip it out if that was going to cost me a lot of money. Now I have parts that I can change and make it work, I hope :wonder: My handbrake cable keeps needing adjusting, despite brand new calipers a couple of years ago, so have decided I need to change the cable itself, scratched interior panels etc etc

Now the deciding factor in me buying this (a) car to break apart (sorry keithys, top man by the way :thumbup: ) is that I've noticed I've got a bit of a lumpy idle when she's cold, so I figured this would be a decent insurance policy, if the worst should happen upon diagnosis. However, what I've posted on here is pretty much the furthest I have taken my DIY'ing if I am honest, so breaking this car down selling off parts will be a challenge and I'm sure I will have to call on my mate or one of his mechanics to come help me out at some point. But what the heck!!

Edited by jars
  • Like 2

Well, things have moved on again.... I no longer own the red vRS, I now own this .....!!

41388DB6-0F58-431A-A600-2C7E27A9A5E9_zps

After I came back from Glastonbury on Monday, my mate popped over for a catchup and saw the red one in my parking bay and immediately ran down to take a look. He owned the above black '53 plate vRS but it has started to have a few small issues pop up like a broken engine mount, dodgy window switches, suspension leaking etc and decided to offer me cash + add ons amounting to what I paid for the red one, but the black one has a long ration gearbox which was fully rebuilt nearly 2 years ago, costing over £1k (receipt in hand) :dance: and after a bit of number crunching I finally decided to agree this morning.

I've known this car since it was ~50k miles old when it was bought by my very good mate to commute between Taunton and Bristol 5 days a week, so despite it showing 182k miles on the clock, the engine is tight as a nun, quieter and rattle free, so I'm more than happy to pull it out to work on, not to mention had some Brembo's I can sell on.

So now I need to bang the drum at Zee to get her arse in gear and sell her Civic so I can get to work.....

• Like 1

I'll buy the Porsche wheels if they are FUBAR :p

They'll come with the adapters too if you wanna make me an offer?!?

Or if you're not too far away from Bristol or fancy a night away we might be able come to another arrangement with help instead of cash?!? (Board, food and cider provided ;):D )

Edited by jars

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

So, not updated this for a while as things have been on hold due to impending weddings next year. Yes, I said weddingS(!) so have not been able to chuck the money at her as I had originally planned. 

Anyway, been stockpiling various bits and pieces, but tonight things have taken an unexpected turn. 

I’ve felt a disturbance in the force since I got back from my last adventure abroad Sunday just gone but couldn’t put my finger on it.... until now .... eye spy with my little eye .....

Was on my way to see my mate grr666, accelerated off a round about, into third gear then pop. Lost power. Initially thought I had popped a hose, two seconds later realised I literally had nothing from the engine. Clutch in then she died. Clearly more than a popped hose. 

After checking the other basic things decided the only thing left to check whilst I was waiting for grr to arrive to tow me was the cam cover. The second it popped off I could see the belt wasn’t in sight :o

Once the cover was removed the belt had clearly lost all tension. :crying:

At this point I have no idea what damage has been caused or what has failed, belt or tensioner, but she’s at my mates garage ready and waiting for him to arrive in the morning. 

579CED34-65DF-4880-BBD0-2A08752BFE9C.jpeg

3A0227D9-B7B3-4F21-B221-5655A57701BA.jpeg

Checked my records.... cam belt changed 3 years and 360 days ago, although the dayco tensioner failed within a few days after so went back in. 

Annoyingly, she was serviced January just gone and when I asked for the belt to be changed I was categorically told three times by the chief mechanic it was not due. Despite my fairly good knowledge of this car, I bowed to their professional advice, after all I am not a trained mechanic or engineer (after three times telling him I disagreed with him)

I’m hopeful that as it is my mates garage this will get sorted FOC, but worst case I have to drop in the engine from my doner car. 

Fot my missus 90bhp Zetec S Fiesta for the time being. It sucks. 

Edited by jars
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Hero said:

Sorry to see this. Hope the damage isn’t terminal

Wont be terminal thankfully as I still love having this car in my life :blush so what needs to be done will be. 

Not heard anything yet, but of course taking apart an engine piece by piece to check for damage takes time. Best leave em to it :sleepy:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, she does lives on.... My mate had her in for two weeks to slowly take things apart and see what was damaged. I got very lucky.... four bent valves and that was that :dance: £500 later and she was back with me.

Lesson learnt .... from here on in I will stand by what I want for my car regardless of what I’m being told it needs by a mechanic.

Still not done anymore work on her in terms of mods. Impeding weddings are sucking me dry each month and took the rather large lump set aside for LSD, clutch and respray :sick: But, I’m only getting married once and therefore I want it to be extra special, so allowances have to be made!

The one thing that has happened.... finally put her on a rolling road :clap: Been trying for the last two / three years to get down to the JKM sessions but something has always come up. This year I was adamant it was happening. 

A quick offer of a night in a hotel and an appointment on the Isle of Wight for wedding stuff got Zee on board, although to be fair she loves it as much as me and has been known to encourage things car related.... she’s a keeper :heart: 

Anyway, set off at 6:50am yesterday morning for the 2 hour drive from Bristol as I needed to be one of the first to make the crossing early afternoon. 

I’ll be honest, I was nervous! I don’t spank my car everywhere, I’ve still never properly launched it from a standstill and can’t recall taking it anywhere near 5k revs. Smashing it right to the end had the potential for something to go wrong, but it didn’t :rock:

Dirty Torque plumbed in the turbo and mapped it in and reckoned it was running about 220/300 but didn’t have their rolling road installed to check. I was not worried tbh, I just wanted a car that went well that also preserved the new-ish clutch. 

So, after four years I can now tell people what she’s got when asked :giggle: a decent 216 bhp and 325 torque.

I say decent and not healthy as I’m not sure the graph shows a healthy car.....

A little surprised to see a dip in power between 3k and 3800 revs. In the last four years I had picked up that there was a slight surge in power and big puff of black smoke when I was giving it some, so was expecting to see a sudden jump up at about 3500 revs because that’s how it was mapped to look after the clutch. I guess this is not the case and I need to check pipes for holes, loose connections etc?! Not the end of the world and not concerned though. 

Another good thing that happened yesterday was the nice Jkm chap diagnosed a rattle that up to then I could not replicate to start diagnosing. What a legend! Maybe more on that on my next post ......

2CE79693-1B03-460E-ABCD-810D69E0D047.png

8C72AE48-BD2A-499F-BB39-887029E21487.jpeg

Edited by jars
  • Like 3