jars' 2005 Fabia vRS

Titanium_Man

Do I ever and don't chicks dig scars.... can't wait til my next beach holiday :giggle:

Cheers Bowen.... I will do but only after I've have stopped being raped by Mortgage companies, Solicitors and the like first :( Once that is all said and done, been given permission by the missus to recoup some of my lost hard earned savings from our disposable income to get all my "future plans" on my car, but unlikely to make this start until the middle of this year, but it will be worth the wait :rock:

• 2 months later...

Just read this from the beginning, awesome build up!

The car looks absolutely fantastic, and call me a copycat all you want but it's exactly what I'm going for looks wise!

Been painting my grill black today and I've just picked up some Spiders too!

Keep it up bud, it's almost perfect in my eyes :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Right then, it's been ages since I have updated this in a meaningful way so, but it's been a bump 2013 up to this point, but finally dug my heels in and started to run again:)

I have now moved into my new house and have kind of organised my garage so now have my own man cave :rock:  but it hasn't been plain sailing as on my way to football at the start of October, I had to abandon her as there was smoke bellowing from my rear calliper :( I returned a few hours later to limp her home after everything had cooled down.

So at this point it I decided to use this as an opportunity to increase the rear brakes as they have always looked puny behind the 17" alloys, so purchased a used 256mm set-up off a forum member (cheers Oet ;) ) but when they arrived, they were in worse a state than I had hoped and would take time to get them into a condition where I was happy to put them on my car... fussy git I know :D

null_zpse2e21451.jpg

The paint was blistered in places, which looked like someone had already tried to tart them up a little, and it also needed a replacement piston seal. Not a problem as I had already discussed this with Oet and decided that it was something which I could do myself after watching some Youtube clips Oet sent me. But time was moving on, my car was off the road and I was having to drive my better half's Civic around which was costing me a fortune in fuel! So I stumbled across an Ebay advert for brand new Octavia Callipers, discs and pads for a decent price and took the plunge.

Parts arrived, and happy as Larry... until I realised my stupid mistake.... no carriers included in the sale :wall:  So got on to the seller to explain what I had order and what I had failed to ask for. So the carriers were sent the next day, arrived very quickly but were obviously for the 232 and not 256

592A8D77-FA90-417A-B15B-5CC13DF267E0_zps

So after another week of faffing around, I finally get my hands on the right carriers, but these came bare metal, out comes the trusty paint brush and tin again :D

7FEA1ACF-9FA4-4FFF-9910-34634B820EF3_zps

I wont bore you with the details, but in my quest to dry each layer of paint before applying the next one, I made myself a little oven out of my downstairs little bathroom... it's a fairly small, has a fire door and is a very efficient house being only built this year, so cranked the heating up for a week and worked away :D

C4FCD255-2565-4445-9E5F-E9EE85B14042_zps

Whilst all this was going on, I have been attending job interviews and trying to take off the old rear brakes. Having previously done the fronts and have some experience of rear braking systems, I attempted to put on the 256 set-up myself, but I had an issue with a carrier bolt, mangled head, my Achilles heel :(

null_zpsee61bde6.jpg

So after posting up to the every helpful community, I did try some of the suggestions, but I'm not a very good beginner DIY mechanic as I'm learning as I go, so finally put it all back together and drover her over to my mates garage. New brakes fitted and 12 months MOT, but at a cost of a new CV boot, hey ho!

Now, When I decided I was going yo upgrade the rear brakes, I did it with the intention of improving the looks only, I had looked for pictures to see the visual difference, which I appreciate is only marginal. But when I walked up to look with my own eyes, it is a massive improvement! I don't care that I didn't actually notice any improved braking (not that I was expecting to) and that some may say it was a waste of money, but it looks better in MY eyes :P

So, before

6BFF8B0A-AF1D-4456-A5F1-1747D202306E_zps

And, after

2256CD8F-F589-44DB-A25F-BEF89E58C0DE_zps

So going forward.... I have toyed with the idea of getting rid at times TBH. I only do around 7k a year and I do fancy a nice "burble" for 6 months, but then I will be back looking for another small diesel, will have to go through all that expense of selling and buying another, running the risk of buying a lemon etc. But after going over to Newport last Sunday for a local meet over there, I got chatting to Bowen again and you made me realise I was following a very similar path you started on, but changed your mind at the last second and now finding yourself re-building your car again. (sorry dude not laughing at you, but you made me realise I would probably regret it, so thanks :kiss: )

My car has only done 92k, I owe nothing for it and is as reliable as any car I have owned. I still love driving it, even-though it is still running standard power. So I am keeping her and have the next few weeks to bring her up-to-date so to speak! 

• Like 2

Made a start today.....well yesterday really...

When I went to take my car over to my trust mechanic, the battery was dead so ended up borrowing his jump pack to get her going. I have since covered 700 motorway miles up until yesterday morning when I went to move her and she was dead again :(

So I sent out an SOS to my mate grr666 for a lift to the local ECP, but he went one better and brought over a super dooper battery for a fraction of what I was going to pay :thumbup:

B3445B16-B62F-4083-AB87-D715FA7CFB3C_zps

Apart from the last 12 months, I have smoked for the previous 20 years, but gladly packed up for surgery last year. Trouble was, much like when the smoking ban came in, initially all the pubs smelt like crap and my car is no different right now :(

I have very much neglected her cleaning wise over the last 18 months for various reasons, so set about putting this to an end! Just look at this

2F906B76-307C-47B7-9D57-52D092BBB3AA_zps

I started by disconnecting the battery and removed all the seats so I can Vax everything before putting back in.

1F4F67A1-01B2-4B83-AB62-D00DBEA224C8_zps

Whilst I am at this I plan to add some of the mods I have sat in my garage, plus sort out some niggly bits like this bloody brake bulb which dropped out in my rear light (top obviously :P )

71DEBB5F-1046-4279-831D-45BB1526FB9E_zps

Also notice some evidence of a leak which I already have I my agenda in the coming weeks

37DAEAAC-2178-4020-9346-BD71C845ABA7_zps

My mate was meant to pop over to me today, but his missus was ill so meant I had to drive to him. So I quickly re-attached my battery and popped down the M5 to Taunton with just my drivers seat bolted back in and she felt soooo much nippier :)

Anyway, saw my mate in Taunton, who just so happens to be the friend who took my Twists and Brembo's, not a pretty sight :(

0C248D68-A786-423B-8B1E-D147CDD6D24D_zps

I'm now at home, chilling in front of the Spanish football having a brew, mid-vaxing my seats :D

0DDDF242-1079-43E4-B61C-D65D4AC4ED68_zps

Till the next update ..... B)

Just finished cleaning the front seats, yuk! Anyway, seems as though I've gotten lazy :(

764652BC-55A8-43B3-B760-51359295913B_zps

It's been getting steadily worse and had to take extra care not to make it worse whilst cleaning.... hopefully this will be the last seat clean .....

Whilst it's all accessible, I thought I would try and spruce up the black bits but soon realised I was out of any specific products (apart from a very small bottle of more expensive and better stuff for the dash and bits more on show), so out came the Meg's Endurance Tyre Gel, not bad and smells awesome :rofl:

67AA3A73-8306-4C06-A2B6-93C1D56DE81E_zps

Will carry on with the seat bases with this stuff and crack in with the rears once done.....also thought I would finally ready and install this little thing....

8A05521B-306A-49BF-9E35-C3DD35717376_zps

I cut up an old Golden Virginia tobacco pouch and a club flyer I believe :D Will fit it tomorrow, remove the old floor carpet clips and Vax front to back, replace an LED light which has stopped working, and if I come across it, will install the boot LED bulb I bought :wonder: put my seat back in and pop to Maplin for a lead for my Connects2 unit and get that plumbed in..... then we'll see what time it is ;)

Today didn't go as planned, has some dozy twonk reversed into me in the Civic :( Thankfully after the little French woman had stopped trying to blame me and call the cops, we went our separate ways and left it to my better half to sort. Two phone calls later with the woman and she's agreed to pay for her own damage and not contact her insurance company..... what makes it all the sweeter is that the only real damage to the Civic is on the bumper which was already going to be resprayed in the next few weeks :rofl: (although I may have to replace the light cluster :( )

Anyway, I had popped out to replenish some supplies and to pick up a jack to phono lead for my Connects2 adapter I was going to be installing today, but after the carpark fiasco earlier, I wasn't in the mood for faff on about with that, so instead settled with removing the floor carpet clips (cheers Lee Patrick ;) ) ready for the carpet cleaner, and replaced the pollen filter

0AF37553-AF50-46EE-BAB6-EA14E0C5DE6D_zps

744A72C6-5C9C-44B2-9AD8-7CBC30A39F4C_zps

At this point the night was drawing in so downed tools had had a quick rummage through some shelves and came across some light bulbs for the reg, boot and some replacements for the blown interior bulb, awesome :)

I've been a busy boy today :rock: 

Since my double-Din blew up I've been making doo with the radio and a few CD's, but it's been doing my head in, so made it a priority to install my  Connects2 adapter which I picked up for £10 :) I purchased the relevant 3.5mm Jack to phono lead yesterday, so set about plugging it in today. I did a quick test install as I knew if it worked I would be hiding it as best as I could. 

First I had to earth it, so simply loosened one of the screws on the side on the unit and wrapped it around, then tightened back up and attach the phono lead....

A5612CC2-225F-4880-B99C-DCE81DBD9A83_zps

... and plug in the unit to the CD multi-changer slot...

50632F4C-68ED-44CC-8289-14F87391A316_zps

Et voila, all working and even got an added surprise when my missus called me whilst testing and it doubled up as a hands free kit, winner :sun:

8B1FD62F-D5B4-49AF-8E97-E4315284C1C5_zps

Once it was all checked, I tried routing the cable as I did the Iphone lead with the double-Din unit, but this looked untidy and would annoy me, so out came the drill and gaffer tape :giggle: to secure the unit in place and put it all back together.

5D1953B4-67E7-4AFC-806D-64447D7C989D_zps

FFDCF247-1FD9-490C-9A4C-9ABA95D69424_zps

20466131-4F7A-4F38-97AE-BF44DE98BA0D_zps

Whilst I was in a good mood, I got out the replacement interior bulb and sunglasses holder. Since changing to the vRS, I have missed a few little things from the Audi, but none more than the sunglasses holder. So whilst off work at the start of this year, I researched what I could do about it and initially found one from a MK4 Golf, but they were all the wrong colour. However, a few weeks passed and I did come across one from the GTI Anniversary which was the right colour, but was £40 :wall:   So waited again, until some cheap Chinese copied came onto Ebay. For £12 it was worth the risk, and glad I did B)

5099BF03-779D-45C6-B8F7-0293E23731D0_zps

For the rest of daylight hours, I punished myself for being a dirty fagger in my past life by getting on my hands and knees scrubbing the head-liner and all the interior carpets with Scotch Guard. I decided on this as it smelt strong and hoped it would get rid of the stale smoke and had plenty left after cleaning my front seats. I gave all the interior plastics a really good rub down with a strong mix of A.P.C as some parts hadn't ever seen cleaning products :D

So this is how I have left the interior for the day

627931C1-5131-43D4-9A20-337F508832F6_zps

Tomorrow I will be putting the seats back in and have to make room in my man cave as the missus has bought a new car, so her old one needs to go in the garage until it's sold :( Not the end of the world as I will just swap them around as and when needed... need to get my hands on the rivet gun for the doors as I really want to move things along now...... ;)

Looking good mate! Glad to hear you're all moved in and healthy.

Nice to see a lot of niggly mods getting nailed. I've let a lot of mine slip and now have a list as long as my arm!

I have a rivet gun you can borrow. It takes quite a beastie one to get them back in the carrier.

Very jealous of your man cave. Is it available for hire? :love:  I still haven't found time to give mine a proper machine polish!

• Like 1

Looking good mate! Glad to hear you're all moved in and healthy.

Nice to see a lot of niggly mods getting nailed. I've let a lot of mine slip and now have a list as long as my arm!

I have a rivet gun you can borrow. It takes quite a beastie one to get them back in the carrier.

Very jealous of your man cave. Is it available for hire? :love:  I still haven't found time to give mine a proper machine polish!

Cheers Tim :)

It's been a long time coming, but finally everything is starting tine up so need to make the most of it and kick on!

Of course it is mate! Will have to wait until the New Year, but by then all the remaining crap will have found a new home and it will game on and will give you a shout :rofl: TBH

I've only machined her once in the very nearly 3 years I have owned her and have only cleaner her once this year as I wont let anyone else touch her, so know how you feel... looooong overdue :D I will need to do this soon as she will be going back into the bodyshop to fix the dents lard arse put in the side and touch up the door handle as it has a big chip in it and obviously once it's been painted, I wont be able to machine polish her for a little while if I'm not mistaken?

good progress Jay, im going to have to take my seats out soon and give the carpet a good clean! 

cheers Dan :thumbup: Get some knee pads ;):rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

OK so another little update.... been carrying out some essential maintenance over the last week or so whilst clocking up some pretty heavy motorway miles again. She was in for her annual service on Wednesday, and it was a biggy, but needed before I move on with things. Also finally treated myself to a new Camera, (cheers Kiddy :thumbup: )so have put it to some kind of use (full auto mode :p ) and taken some snaps :)

Here's my vRS footrest finally installed

DSLR2012_zps6e4af29d.jpg

Cambelt, water pump and tensioners all changed, I decided to have the gearbox oil changed as after a long stint on the motorway changing gears coming off was a little clunky and grindy, also had the rear off side hub changed as I noticed the bearing was on it's way out when I tried to change the rear brakes a few weeks ago. Also got my mate to try and stop the squeaking coming from the front, plus a couple of other different knocks which occur under different scenerios, but none of these have been fixed  :@  As it happens, I have found a new bodyshop very close to my old house run by a young-ish fella who is just like most of us on here who make build threads, so we've been chatting and he's put me in touch with his race mechanic/engineer and he's agreed to sort it all out after a brief chat, so that will be done after the New Year now.

Anyway....

Since then, I've sourced all the tools and supplies ready to attack my ever so slightly leaky rears doors, and whilst at it, try and recover my lost driver's lock barrel torx screw! I've decided to drill out the carrier rivets and try and clean it all up as best as I can  and seal between the carrier and the door in the hope this is the first and last time I have to do this. So I borrowed this massive gun from TimFok.... thank you again kind sir ..... and already had the replacement rivets in stock.

DSLR2007_zpsb71a45dc.jpg

I was going to use Plumbers Gold and me ole chum, Garry, said to bell him when I needed some as he had some left over from when he did his. So after Tim kindly dropped round his rivet rocket launcher, I met up with grr666 and was given some of this stuff which is can be applied even when wet :rock:

DSLR1006_zps1b09a84a.jpg

I've still not cleaned her and have been racking up the motorway miles since she was off the road and found myself having to literally wipe the crap and road-grime off my headlights to make them effective again :giggle: Once Christmas has been and gone I will be having a tap installed in my garage by  very accomplished handy man/tiler (or whatever you class yourself as dude :p ) and will get the outside back up together ready for another trip to the bodyshop, but not the same place as last time :finger:

DSLR2009_zpsf372fe6c.jpg

DSLR2013_zps5c629d68.jpg

DSLR2014_zps35bd3d2f.jpg

After coming home, I sat down and decided to take some snaps and update this whilst having a brew :angel: but now it's getting dark and I'm nice and cosy so I think I'll make a start on the doors tomorrow morning :p

• Like 1

Yeah she'll be at the next meet, hopefully with some major changes, although I'm away snowboarding 2nd week of January so time's against me :wonder:

Once my doors are sealed, I'm getting on to seat Surgeons and ripping it all out, no more dirty, scabby looking seats B)