Dash Cams

Good spot FUBAR, cleary the Mobius is Mini not Micro, poor choice of image on my side.

Another school day for me!

wall-charger-for-blackberry-micro-mini-u

As long as you have the right one and are not delayed in recording the mayhem on our roads! Are you all set up yet? 

I now have everything except the camera, it's still on the slow boat from China!

When did you order and where from? Mine used to always come within 4 or 5 days from China, inc when in Holland and mail was routed through UK! 

This is what I have so far, all from China excluding the fuses which were from a UK seller. I also have a micro SD card from Amazon too...

IMG_6672_zpss9hbekcs.jpg

The camera, two mounts (suction cup type & sticky tape type) and 3 meter USB cable are all from this eBay seller (eletoponline365)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think this seller was recommended on one of the many dash cam threads. They have provided tracking details which say they are currently 'in transit' via China Post. Marked as dispatched on the 20th January.

Fingers crossed they aren't stuck in customs!

• Like 1

This is what I have so far, all from China excluding the fuses which were from a UK seller. I also have a micro SD card from Amazon too...

IMG_6672_zpss9hbekcs.jpg

The camera, two mounts (suction cup type & sticky tape type) and 3 meter USB cable are all from this eBay seller (eletoponline365)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think this seller was recommended on one of the many dash cam threads. They have provided tracking details which say they are currently 'in transit' via China Post. Marked as dispatched on the 20th January.

Fingers crossed they aren't stuck in customs!

No messing about with that lot of stuff! That is the original seller of the camera, the best and also cheapest place to order from. Might be something along the way has held it up, fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow or Monday :D 

• Like 1

They must have heard you FUBAR, it arrived by Royal Mail this morning!

There was apparantly a revision made to the Mobius late last year, so we are now on V3.

I think I may have the V3 version as I noticed the top surface mounted LED is a rectangle shape instead of round? Can't be sure though. 

"Three new modifications have been made to the Mobius.

Case Revision: A new Mobius case has already begun to be sold, as was posted by a user in the Mobius Owners Thread a few weeks ago. The main difference is a widening of the top LED observation hole filled with a clear plastic "light pipe" that extends over the four LED's inside, capturing the LED illumination and directing it to the plastic in the hole where it is much easier to see.

Circuit Board Revision: A new V3 circuit board has been released with an over-voltage protection IC added at the USB plug which will immediately disconnect external power if the applied voltage is between 5.6V and 28V (nominal). This will protect the camera from virtually all of the situations where greater than standard 5V USB power (e.g. 12+ V from a 3S lipo flight pack or FPV TX buss) has been accidentally connected to the camera. This protection IC is ahead of all other camera circuitry, so there will be no indication from the camera when this circuit cuts power. There simply will be no power from the external source. If the camera was already operating on it's internal battery when an over-voltage external supply is connected, it will continue recording on it's internal battery with no help or re-charging available from the external source. NOTE: This IC protection does NOT provide any reverse polarity protection, so it is still imperative that ANY external power connection is not reversed. Doing so will damage the circuitry, as will external power that exceeds 28V. The V3 circuit board will otherwise perform like the V2 board.

Optional Battery Available: An 820 mAH battery is now available, which fits in the standard Mobius case and will boost the normal recording time (in default 1080p mode with normal data rate) by about 60% to approximately 130 min . Charging, of course will take proportionally longer. The V3 circuit board has a higher battery charge current than the V1 and V2 boards, and will recharge the new battery in about 3 hours, whereas the earlier circuit boards will take about 5+ hours for a full re-charge. The new battery weighs about 5 gms more than the 520 mAH original battery, and will cost about $1 more. The original battery will continue to be sold, but you may need to specify what you want if it's not specified in the product description.

Some vendors may need to clear out existing inventory before offering these improvements, so if you only want the new models, be sure to specify that when you order and maybe be prepared to wait a bit before your order can be filled
."

This is what mine looks like...

IMG_6676_zpslugu8lio.jpg

Older version with round LED?

mobius-left.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Yea the newer one is much better mainly for battery being a higher capacity. Mine are both V1's I would think considering how long I have had them now :D Where are you mounting it to need all those connectors? Makes the camera look twice as big! :o 

I thought that by trying to get the power cable facing towards the windscreen would make it easier to feed the wire into the headlining and prevent it from fouling the back of the mirror.

Another member did this (albeit with smaller connectors (no longer available) and it seemed pretty neat.

I'll try it, they can always come off...

I thought that by trying to get the power cable facing towards the windscreen would make it easier to feed the wire into the headlining and prevent it from fouling the back of the mirror.

Another member did this (albeit with smaller connectors (no longer available) and it seemed pretty neat.

I'll try it, they can always come off...

The amount the first connector sticks out of the back of camera in comparison to the solid bit of the plug on the USB cable before it can flex upward, looks like 2 or 3 mm at most. Get out there and get her fitted :clap:  

Ran out of time today, this time next week it'll be in with pictures!

My biggest concern is finding a switched live fuse in the fuse box. It's going in a Superb with no rear wiper so I'll have to have a little play around I think.

• 5 months later...
Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

Love my DR400G :) Wired in to switched live to it comes on recording and I usually forget about it as its hidden behind the rearview mirror.

Likewise, both mine are "fit & forget".

Likewise, both mine are "fit & forget".

LOL top marks for a reply to a post over 3 years old :D 

I do love the fit and forget ability of dash cams though too! 

For those who doubt the usefulness of these, have a look at this clip at 0:18 to see the woman forced off the road - could have been so much worse and all safely recorded. Mine is a three year old cheap e-prance unit.

• Like 1

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

LOL top marks for a reply to a post over 3 years old :D

They do say better late than never. Clearly I've only just caught up on some reading.

Now, back to real life.. :beer:

Yes but they never got back to me - needed the other driver to file a report for them to be able to do anything.

That is the issue in certain forces, inc mine (until my recent one). Sometimes it can be down to the specific investigating officer and their own opinion on it. West Midlands Police this week announced they will be setting up a way to submit such footage to them online due to their continuing use of it and recognition of it's value. I hope that all works out and it sets the standard. For the first time ever in NI I have the Police on board wanting to use 1 statement and video footage together as evidence, next hurdle is if the public prosecutor feels brave enough to try something new..... I fear they will be too lazy to make it a test case, despite it being ultimately water tight. We will see, the police seeing it's value is a positive enough step forward for me for now.

Met Police with Roadsafe and Sussex Police with 'Operation Crackdown' now have a dedicated channel to handle these kinds of reports, ensuring they end up with an officer familiar with the procedures. Hopefully other forces will launch similar schemes - like you say I'm sure the situation will improve. Wouldn't be surprised to see either insurance companies demanding cameras or car manufacturers fitting them as standard in the reasonably near future. Let's face it, probably 95% of collisions are due to human error.

• 1 month later...

Mine picked up its first bump yesterday, nothing major just silly young girl.

Did you pull up & offer your details to the driver of the black car so she could have a copy of the footage in case the corsa driver started denying resonsibility?  :thumbup:

• Like 2

For those who doubt the usefulness of these, have a look at this clip at 0:18 to see the woman forced off the road - could have been so much worse and all safely recorded. Mine is a three year old cheap e-prance unit.

I also have an E-Prance cheapo cam and for the price I think that it is more than adequate, got it set to record 5 minute sections and overwrite old files.

Use the power and return leads to one of the boot lights. Controlled by the canbus it switches power off about 10 minutes after switching ignition off, so no power drain. I have the power for my reverse camera from the boot light and never had a problem, and it's a nice clean power source too with no interference.

Mike

Mike can you give me a clue to save stripping off stacks of plastic trim in the boot,  I'd guess it's in the region of the lock as the boot lamps are out when shut  cheers Nic

I kinda went overkill with my dashcam setup which I use for longer trips..
GoPro Hero 4 (silver) with a suction cup mount. Also routed/hid a power cable behind dash so I don't have to worry about swapping batteries mid-journey :) 
Can post a pic later of the cable route if people are interested?

Simply pull the nearside boot lamp out out where it is mounted, and tap into the wires from there, close to the multiplug. No trim to remove.

Mike

sorry for being dense but do you mean the rear lamp cluster (left hand side ) as the rear BOOT lights are switched from the tail gate and are off when it's shut altho' it does seem to time down to off if the tailgate is left open -key out,   but if shut not locked will light when reopened - key out don't want to blow the controller