Engine pinking/flat spots

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help with a couple of issues I'm having with my Mk1 RS.

First of all i'm getting a small bit of pinking when i start to accelerate a little on low revs and when i'm over 4000 revs the car feels a little flat.

I use 95 ron fuel and i'm wondering if this is the cause.

Ive just changed the plugs recently and clean the throttle pot out regularly.

Any help would be great

Cheers Jon

Edited by speedyjon

Switching to vPower will give you much better running.

Did you do the sparks and the coil packs? You should see see if you can get them replaced on the coil pack recall.

Just the plugs, but the car has done 99k and is a 2001 and skoda would still change the coil packs under warranty?

If they're the right model number. Go to your local dealer and enquire. There prone to failure and a common fault

i would sugges vag log it, recon it could be the coilpacks too.

if the plugs are good, and the throttle body and maf are clean, then its a possible suspect.

Just call your local Skoda dealer and quote your reg and they'll tell you instantly if you can have some free new coil packs. :)

Personally I think it sounds more like a dirty throttle body and or the suggested MAF problems. I have just had a similar issue with my VRS and it turned out to be the MAF, although a thorough clean of the throttle body and a half bottle of good quality injector cleaner also helped get the purry smoothness back. :)

Just call your local Skoda dealer and quote your reg and they'll tell you instantly if you can have some free new coil packs. emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Personally I think it sounds more like a dirty throttle body and or the suggested MAF problems. I have just had a similar issue with my VRS and it turned out to be the MAF, although a thorough clean of the throttle body and a half bottle of good quality injector cleaner also helped get the purry smoothness back. emoticon-0100-smile.gif

I do clean the throttle body regular but someone else said about injector clean so ill give that a go.

those pesky coil packs can be guilty of a lot though!

if you only do one side of the TB, then take it off and clean it properly, if you move the butterfly it will need resetting with vag.con

You really do need a good quality cleaner, that has the right amount of the right ingredients. None of yer £2.99 Redex mind! :)

I use this, and it's fantastic. A treatment with this and my cars always feel better than after a £200 service :-

BG44k - High Quality Fuel System Conditioner and Carbon Remover:

http://www.powerenha...-carbon-remover

...but, I would look at plugs, MAF, and coils first, as they're probably more likely to be causing the hesitation/flat spot.

Edited by Longyear
  • Like 1

the TB should be reset by vag.com if you move the buterfly (which you need to do to clean the TB properly) its basically needs a reset, its a quick fix to do, assuming you have access to the software.

Did you change the gasket too when removing it?

Ive taken it off completely once before the last time i cleaned it but did not know about resetting anything

That's just if you remove the power connection to the throttle body. It is possible to remove the Throttle Body and thoroughly clean it, without actually disconnecting the power plug..... if you keep that plug on, nothing needs resetting. To do a proper clean though, you need a 2nd person to hold the accelerator pedal down (with the key turned on, but without the engine on obviously!), to get the throttle to open. :)

I done it that way because I don't have easy access to VAG-COM. If have access to VAG-COM, as Oet said, it's a non-event to reset it. ;)

Edited by Longyear

the TB should be reset by vag.com if you move the buterfly (which you need to do to clean the TB properly) its basically needs a reset, its a quick fix to do, assuming you have access to the software.

Did you change the gasket too when removing it?

The gasket was in good condition so did not bother replacing it, a friend of mine has a diagnostics machine will that do the job?

fair point, i always take mine to the bench to clean so no mess in the bay, plus i have the software so its not an issue anyway.

I just take off, manually move, and clean then reset and jobs a goodun.

Like your workaround though, nice thinking, you just have to bribe a helper:>

fair point, i always take mine to the bench to clean so no mess in the bay, plus i have the software so its not an issue anyway.

I just take off, manually move, and clean then reset and jobs a goodun.

Like your workaround though, nice thinking, you just have to bribe a helper:>

Heh heh, I use the wife, she's got a nice steady foot, but she did move it once while I was cleaning and she nearly had my finger off! Lol!

hmm if it just diagnoses no, if its vag.com, vcds or similar and he can code stuff etc, then it will work, otherwise follow longyears advice.

hmm if it just diagnoses no, if its vag.com, vcds or similar and he can code stuff etc, then it will work, otherwise follow longyears advice.

Yeah garage code reader, does most things i think

This engine can be especially sensitive to spark plugs gaps. Could be worth a look.

You need 0.8mm for a standard VRS or 0.7mm for a remapped car.

• Like 1