The Mr Muscle VNT Turbo Treatment - thought we needed a guide of sorts

Lofty79

• 2 weeks later...

Have just used the me muscle treatment on my Octivia TDi that has been suffering with limp home mode for most of the last 80,000 miles of its 166,000 miles. At around 100,000 a garage removed the turbo and rebuilt it along with new mas and although this made life better it still did not cure it. Now its like the car was when new, and will rev in most gears towards the rev limiter speed limits alowing.

Dave.

Guest BigJase88

Jesus christ just done my 150 arl!

What a nightmare! Would of been simples on my old fabia but i have an egr cooler!

Nightmare in a bubble car!

Just waiting now and pumping :o

Guest BigJase88

One word!

WOW

It works

Easy on a pd130 so would recommend! But i will NEVER ever being doing my 150 again!

Pooped

good stuff mate, aye the one with the cooler is a real nightmare, i did one on a passat, feeling blind to get the wee egr pipe off the mani, sooooooo fiddly. But it makes a difference to power doesnt it?

Guest BigJase88

Oh its that wee pipe that goes from the cooler to the mani

Got both bolts off the mani no bother. Got the easier of the allen key ones from the cooler! With the aid of some pipe grips as the allen head was screwed! The other allen screw was a no go! So thought about writing it off! Then decided to use a pry bar to lift the pipe off the mani by about an inch.

Then just managed to fit a hose down and no more! Turbo actuator was gritty as anything to begin with but after 20mins was nice and free.

Gave it a run and seemed alright, the main issue with mine was cold running, was lumpy as anything on boost so waited a few hours until engine was stone cold and took it for a blast. From cold it pulled like a train wheras before it would be lumpy and usually conk out. As ive been booting it for the past hour or so on back roads it feels dead slow. Think i need a remap now :o

Quick question for Lofty or anyone in the know.

My pd130 has now done 125k miles with 100k miles on its hybrid turbo.

Only had limp modes due to boost leaks never had sticking vanes or sticking actuator arm. I've always used millers diesel additive from the day I bought car brand new.

Drive it on long journeys only and do track days plus i take it to the red line regularly to keep it sweet.

Do you reckon my car would benefit from some

forte turbo cleaner?

Car runs perfect with 200 horse powers and 380 talks.

Dont think it needs the mr muscle trestment yet.

Guest BigJase88

Nope /\

The turbo's only clog up when people dilly dally around. I know for a fact my car done around 70k with a woman driver (know previous owner) so it never got a hammering EVER!

You take it to track days etc and its a hybrid! So you push it! Which is good! These turbos like to be worked

I had the egr removed when the hybrid turbo and fmic was fitted. That was 8 years ago.Those things are nowt but trouble lol.

A full italian tune has just been compleated around the evo triangle following my mate in his 300 bhp Leon. Time to get the house pipe out before it gets dark.

Hi Lofty

Just joined this forum so that I can add my views on your thread. I have a 2002 SEAT Leon tdi 90bhp (although according to my friendly SEAT expert it has a 115bhp remap).

For the last year it has been gutless to the point of being dangerous to try and overtake anything.

Followed all your instructions for the Mr Muscle treatment and whilst at it, cleaned the EGR valve. It was hopelessly blocked with S*** and corruption. Took it out for a spin and…………….wait for it………………………no real difference.

I felt a bit fed up but not dejected because I can understand the logic and the chemistry of what the thread is all about. Late yesterday as darkness fell (no garage to work in) I rang a mechanic friend who happens to be an ex-SEAT mechanic (didnt know that when I rang him). He collected the car and immediately diagnosed the fault as a faulty barometric sensor. By 11am today it was replaced and the readings on his plug in computer said everything was pretty much right. However I felt that there was still a possible vacuum leak as I had damaged the vacuum sensor connector on the one way valve from the vac pump to the brake servo. This was replaced. Once this was done the turbo pushed out smoke and crud. I have just taken it for a spin prior to a 300 mike trip tomorrow. The car is unrecognisable. It pulls better than it ever has done in 2 years of ownership and the mechanic told me that it is going so well that the turbo and EGR have to be spot on for this type of performance. So, although I had to wait a little longer than some, thanks to you I now have a car that is far better than the day I bought it.

If it gets better after a decent thrash tomorrow I will let you know. My thoughts on the remap by the way are that this was probably done in an attempt to improve the flagging performance. So for all the potential remap customers out there, it makes clear sense to clean the vanes and the egr before doing anything else.

Thanks again Lofty!!

By the way, I was all for selling the Leon; but not now so looking for some better seats. I have been told that Octavia seats fit the Leon. Is this right? If so please contact me if you have any that are comfortable and a bit more supportive than basic SEAT seats. Pref grey cloth or black leather. Car is red with grey interior.

Guest BigJase88

Mine went into limp mode again today :o

No codes!

Will try cleaning turbo again in better weather. Has helped a lot though

• 5 weeks later...

silly question... can this be done just in the inlet pipe with the engine running or does it need time to soak in to the carbon build up?

DON'T even think about it. Diesel engines (or any engines, ideally) shouldn't ever have any fluids sprayed into the intake, it's asking for trouble (such as hydraulic locks, for example).

Follow the guide, free up the turbo vanes. Or don't follow it, and potentially knacker the motor.

Anyone in North Yorkshire area who has done this mind lending a hand for some beer tokens?

All understandable but would rather not do it as not brilliant with engines!

• 2 weeks later...

Massive thanks to Lofty.

I bought an Audi A3 TDI 2.0 2006 in December with 120k on it. It was going great until 2 weeks ago when I noticed excessive grey smoke when pulling away from standstill and occasionally going in to limp mode when pushed hard up hills. Car wasn't using any oil and there was no water contamination etc and when it came on the turbo it went fine most of the time.

Last week it went permanently into limp mode, even after a reset via the ignition.

Googled it and started by cleaning the EGR but didn't make any difference, then found this thread and did the Mr Muscle treatment.

Took all the air system off and managed to remove the EGR pipe without removing the cooler, not a lot of room on a BKD Audi A3 but it can be done from the top, left it for 2 hours and worked the actuator arm until it moved freely and then took it for a drive, the difference is unbelievable! Its like a different car, sooo much more power than previously and no smoking or erratic idle.

Top man Lofty, this saved me a packet as the garage had already diagnosed new turbo. Have a virtual beer on me