The Mr Muscle VNT Turbo Treatment - thought we needed a guide of sorts

Lofty79

DON'T even think about it. Diesel engines (or any engines, ideally) shouldn't ever have any fluids sprayed into the intake, it's asking for trouble (such as hydraulic locks, for example).

Follow the guide, free up the turbo vanes. Or don't follow it, and potentially knacker the motor.

http://www.spdiagnostics.com/index.php/products/workshop/revive-turbo-cleaner

Not strictly true.

I used the product posted above as a preventative measure, so I noticed no difference afterwards.

I did however smoke out the entire street while using it :giggle:

Edited by Ben90

Oh and also please leave your EGR valve fitted its there for a very good reason,if its not working as it should you would be better off fixing it than removing it.

Its there to hinder the motor and score emissions points. Mine was working as it should.......and thats exactly why i shut it off.

Egr blank/delete is one of the most favoured mods on here, you maybe starting a losing argument.

When i got my bora estate, signed papers over, disconnected egr straight away.

I wasn't looking to start an argument but EGR is a very misunderstood item and what it does is not all about emissions. I have seen the consequences of blanked off EGR albeit on motorway ran cars and it is never a cheap repair.

can you definitively prove the failure was the result of blanked off egr? I tell you now its a no.

I have done over 200k egr free, and the motor was as strong as ever 28k a year

Hi Guys

I have a Skoda Octavia 1 with this sticky vanes problem (I think) and it is driving me nuts. The loss of power happens all the time even on flat roads in fourth gear with no additional weight in the car.

I took it to a local garage and they tried using the Innotec turbo cleaner to solve the problem. It did not and cost me a fair amount of money in the process.

Is it worth doing the Mr Muscle treatment?? or do we think it is likely to be something else?

Also is anyone local to the Chichester, West Sussex area who has carries out the Mr Muscle and fancies having another go for some cash, as nuts and bolts are not my strong point!!

One point to note - make sure it goes down and slightly biased to the drivers side as it enters the hole with the pipe as its slightly off centre with these, and it could go left (although not easily) into a cylinder. Not hard just appropriate care needed. A slight curve in the pipe would help

Just to clarify, if it did go into the cylinder, is it game over?.......

Car normally runs fine. Occasionally get a flat spot in 3rd just after turbo spools up. Twice now, 4 in car, overtaking on motorway in 6th, limp mode. Reset straight after restarting.

I also believe it did not register in Vagcom, although the cable turned out to be fake and has gone back.

Sticking vanes? Done 115k miles now, all motorway....

Yes sounds quite classic.

Hard to say if cylinder injection would be game over but it certainly shouldn't be in there. If enough care is used you should be fine. If it worries you, go in on the exhaust side of the turbo, emphasis on exhaust side.

Yes sounds quite classic.

Hard to say if cylinder injection would be game over but it certainly shouldn't be in there. If enough care is used you should be fine. If it worries you, go in on the exhaust side of the turbo, emphasis on exhaust side.

Doesn't worry me as such, just that my pd170 engine looks different to the pics. I guess the turbo is at the back of the engine, I hoped to find it and then just disconnect the pipework and 'mr muscle' it from there.

There is a valve on top that looks a bit like the one shown, but it has electrical wires and when I feel underneath it looks like no pipework to disconnect. I was under the impression the Egr valve was at the front of the engine on mine.

IMG-20130203-00053_zpse2eed7f3.jpg

OK, my engine looks different to the pics. I have found the turbo i guess. it has 'Garrett' on it, which i know make turbos:

IMG-20130305-00081_zps7eebc378.jpg

Now from the bottom of this, there is a rubber pipe about 2" in diameter that joins to a metal pipe of the same diameter. the rubber pipe looks easy to get off the bottom of the turbo and i can then run in a pipe with mr muscle. I am unsure if this is the exhaust side or not though. the air intake runs into the centre of the turbo also and i am guessing i should not be going in that way?

I also cant find the actuator. Where in relation to my pic can it be found?

Edited by jamiepullen

That's the 'cold' side of the turbo which compresses the clean air, not to be Mr-muscled. You'll want the hot-side as that's where the exhaust fumes go, it's normally covered in surface rust. I can see a partially rusted section just to the left of the bit with GARRETT on it, Ill wager that's where the hot side is. As above the easiest way in is probably through the small EGR pipe that is attached to the exhaust manifold as there are only 2 bolts to undo.

Ok, my turbo is at the top of the engine, I believe they are often lower down. If I do this, do I need to worry about gravity pulling all the crap down into the engine?

I have seen turbo cleaners like wynns and innotec. Would they do as good a job, as the method seems easier?

sorry for all the posts, but i have been looking at the engine bay. Below is my egr at the front of the engine i belive, but the turbo is at the back. reading your posts, can i do as per my badly drawn arrows?

If not, i will try and take the exhaust end off and go for it.

0c00ad7b-b6df-4085-83aa-9a3c233c3a9a_zps04aea63a.jpg

So in the exhaust it is then, or recommend not to do it at all?

If you follow the correct instructions for your car on this thread you should be ok.

That pipe you mention goes to the EGR cooler, which means you could end up with Mr M in the engine, which wouldn't be good.

As above dont do this, on BKD engine etc, exhaust off, or the teeny pipe that goes from bottom of cooler on back of engine, youll know its right cos there is a turbo there.

• Like 1