Volf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Car is an absolute riot.

Darkside really know their stuff and I've have had no issues since. Even the hard start issue I couldn't solve, is now gone. They mentioned it was something to do with the actuator on the turbo setup I had before, no other details than that. But on the whole, pulls like an train, the LSD works very well, since having the forks changed in the box, the gear changes feel so much crisper and less of a stick in pudding. 35psi on the dial always bring a smile to my face, but what's more, when I'm not booting it and driving it smoothly'n'calm I can see upwards of 70+mpg. Driving from home to Heathrow for work for the week. Normally I'd end up having to refuel by the end of the week to a full tank. But if I drive this carefully, I only have to refill just under half a tank after a week. Not really pushed it to see just how much range I can get out of it now, the loud pedal is just too much fun not to (Makes for a few surprised faces)

I know before I fell out of love with the whole thing some time last year, But I'm glad I stuck with it. Has also just ticked over 140k on the clock but still going strong, okay for sure some of the body needs some love, spots of rust here and there and I need to strip away the sill's original rubber protective coating as I see some of has suffered a nick, allowing water to sit behind it. All in good time.

Not much else to say currently. Have a set of Rotaform wheels I need new rubber for. May use those for winter wheels as I like the TD ProRace too much. Also have a new grill, side skirts and a VRS front bumper I need painted. Any idea of having it wrapped in the future is pretty much on hold for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Volf said:

Darkside really know their stuff and I've have had no issues since. 

This looks like a cracking car now. 

I follow Darkside on Youtube and am always impressed with how they approach things.  I'm not really into diesels but am amazed what they can get out of an engine and despite the power, the economy can be just as impressive.

Your figures make my 300lbft of torque look positively weedy in comparison!:D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Small updates and stuff. Did fit a short shift kit, but failed to make a note of the shifters adjustments. Got it back shifting as it was before, but had to make a tool for the gear stick as I lost a drill bit down the hole. Thanks Haynes...

OmMUaqK.jpg  5SIYM7B.jpg

Now have a set of Vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts to go on. Fast road only, I'm told the comp ones are far too harsh.
Ap9jyhI.jpg

Edited by Volf
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

spacer.pngspacer.png

Rusty door shuts. Did attempt to repair myself. You've got to try right? But alas, it didn't last and it came back again about a year later. So a quick visit to TPSmart repair...

spacer.pngspacer.png

Top job. They also repaired the sills along the front as those were pretty rusted. Cut it all out and put new metal in.
Next up, new side skirts and VRS door bump strips. Still trying to find a half decent VRS rear bumper, which hasn't been rammed into everything...

-

In other, cleaned up the old mans Octi engine bay.

spacer.pngspacer.png

-

Finally fitted the new engine mounts. Not driven much since putting them in. Have noticed the cabin is louder with vibrations, but it doesn't really bother me. Its only really noticeable whilst at a standstill.

spacer.png spacer.png

-

Other bits to maybe mention on. Trying out an Ultragauge. Still not got rubber for the new wheels. Had a small slip on some diesel into a muddy bank. Fitted a VRS front. And not pictured, managed to rust treat most of the underside and added a layer of waxyoil. That wasn't a fun task...

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Rear subframe is far too rusted for my liking. Next month, we're going down the Verkline route :

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheels and new rubber on.
VRS door bump strips painted and fitted.
Side skirts painted and fitted.
Still looking for a decent rear VRS bumper.
Cupra R chin spoiler to go on at some point.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I've decided this is the end of the Darkside Octi, moving onto something more sensible. It's been great fun whilst it lasted, but the bodywork is letting it down and the rust is starting to worm it's way through the sills, inside out. As it's almost 170k miles it's done very well for all it's had and I've enjoyed every moment of it.

As no one will buy a pre-modified car, I plan to strip it and sell the decent parts, engine, ECU, turbo, 4pot brakes etc and scrap the shell.

11 hours ago, Volf said:

Well, I've decided this is the end of the Darkside Octi, moving onto something more sensible. It's been great fun whilst it lasted, but the bodywork is letting it down and the rust is starting to worm it's way through the sills, inside out. As it's almost 170k miles it's done very well for all it's had and I've enjoyed every moment of it.

As no one will buy a pre-modified car, I plan to strip it and sell the decent parts, engine, ECU, turbo, 4pot brakes etc and scrap the shell.

Msg me prices on parts of  insta young man, I need to crack on with the estate and tidy that up 

• 1 month later...

Well, it's settled.
Bought an Octavia VRS Estate 6 speed DSG

Quite happy with it so far. Have some plans, but none of them mean tuning the engine.

As for the Darkside Octi, as mentioned before, it will be stripped.

20230703_072827.jpg

20230703_072857.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Volf changed the title to Volf's Darkside Octavia Mk2 - End of the road *Stripping for parts!*