Alarm type on superb

madjack

It's mounted under the bottom of the windscreen, I think on the opposite site to the air-intake for the HVAC. It's riveted to the bodywork.

The alarm unit contains the controller, a battery backup (rated for 6 years) and an alarm siren. I think the alarm siren 'vents' or sounds into the wheel well but I'm not sure as I haven't actually seen one.

The interior monitoring is via ultrasonic sensors mounted in the roof console. If you have a sedan, you have two sensors. The combi/wagon/estate has three sensors as the interior is longer.

Door switches will also trigger the alarm. There is no glass break sensor.

Other things that will trigger the alarm:

- disconnecting a trailer while the car is locked and armed (requires OEM trailer control module, not a generic after market);

- a significant voltage drop in the car battery (i.e. someone trying to remove the battery);

- opening doors, the boot or the bonnet/hood;

- interference with the ignition switch (for cars without KESSY). This can include attempting to force the ignition lock without a transponder key near the RFID reader;

- there is a tilt sensor that can detect the car being towed;

There is a button on the lower section of the B-pillar, drivers side. Pressing this button before locking and arming the car within 30 seconds will disable the interior ultrasonic motion sensors and the tilt sensor. The reasoning for this is if you leave a pet in the car, or are having the car towed.

Note: leaving the sunglasses storage thingy open will block and interfere with the ultrasonic sensors, reducing their effectiveness

• 3 months later...

Hi all and Happy New Year!

I was wondering if you'd recommend the factory alarm over an aftermarket canbus alarm (on the car's own remote) like Viper 39xx? The factory alarm doesn't have shock or outside perimeter sensors. Can the factory alarm be controlled from the maxidot to close windows when keeping pressed the close button on the remote? Or else?

Happy arbitrary calendar overflow to you too.

The alarm itself has nothing to do with closing the windows by holding down the key fob, but you can turn this feature on by Maxidot or VCDS.

I personally don't think car alarms achieve anything, people here just ignore them and walk past as there are too many false alarms. If it was an option, I wouldn't have optioned it but it came standard so meh.

Havent activated anything on MaxiDot but if I hold on "Unlock" button on remote then it opens all windows and when I hold "Lock" then it closes all the windows.

I myself consider factory alarm enough and those perimeter things can really be annoying. Factory alarm could IMHO be louder tough.

Factory alarm has tilt too (more reliable than shock), and does have perimetric. Perimetric means if any doors / bonnet / boot are opened it will trigger.

Were you looking for something more than this?

I was looking for shock like another car hits mine while parked or the thief knocks on a tire to see if the car has alarm (I have now and it blirps once if you kick a tire or punch the car, or stay very close, it has two settings for shock and perimeter)