Who`s RON are you using in these tough times?

If I remember correctly,

RON is not a measure to indicate more energetic value per stroke. so not worth from a finance point of view.

RON is used to indicate resistance to pre-ignition and knock.

RON is not the amount of Iso-octane, instead it is how much iso-octane you would need in order to achive the same knock resitance, hence fuel boffins can achieve more than 100, as that would mean their mixture is more restitant to knock when compare to a 100% iso-octane mix. (How they achieve that is a different matter altogether, but all in all, it's better than a lower RON, even though it has been fettled with)

Broadly speaking, knock and pre-ignition happen in high conpression situation and when the Engine is running hot and used on Full-throtttle with agressive timing (aka so our mapped cars when driven hard for a sustained period!)

the octy VRS MK1 already had 2 fuel settings; 95 and 98+. The ecu has algorithm to deduce which fuel you are running on and adjust timing, boost accordingly to keep knock within an acceptable frequency.

All I can say is that if on RON95, if you're gonna push it, you will have knock, though the ECU will allow some as normal "wear and tear" and yes technically you'd have decreased performance. You should have used premium for its better resistance and for the additives potentially protecting the chambers a little more.

For me, day to day use with the odd home rush, mapped and on 95, safe in the knowledge that my ECU keeps things within acceptable levels.

If on airfield, track, different map with different boost and timings. then no excuse, couple of tanks before and during the track work!

all a matter of personal opinion/perception though

• Like 1

5th Gear did another fuel comparison test -

I have to say that you guys in the UK are lucky that you get such a choice.

The best fuel we have avail in Ireland at the moment is the Maxol with E5 added (they withdrew E85) and not every Maxol has this.

Two companies add ethanol to their fuel - but it is nominal amounts to make any noticeable difference to the economy or power of our cars.

err, am i the only one who runs a vrs on 95ron? i tried the occasional 98ron but didn't notice any difference and because i'm a cheap skate, went back to the cheap stuff..........

I tend to use Tesco Momentum as I find the car runs and performs to its optimum. For some reason it really doesnt like V Power at all. Occasionally though I will use Sainburys 97 or even 95 if im really skint and although it feels as though it doesnt pull aswell the general running seems fine.

err, am i the only one who runs a vrs on 95ron? i tried the occasional 98ron but didn't notice any difference and because i'm a cheap skate, went back to the cheap stuff..........

No mate, like I said - I do at the moment. But that's only been since I've been back in the UK the last 6 months.

If you want to see/feel a difference, you need at least 2-3 tanks for the ECU to detect the change and adjust things accordingly. So it's no good just filling up and deciding there's no difference and switching back.

Lots of my mates laugh at me for keep spreadsheets of these sorts of things, but turn it into an experiment and really give it go, you might be surprised... :happy:

Na mate.

When my car was std i pritty much always ran it on 95. Again never noticed when i used vpower. Used for a fair while to see but never noticed.

When remapped stage 1 again never noticed and just ran on 95. Never pushed it tho.

When on custom map i did notice as it was mapped on v power when it was optimax 98 iirc.

I find the shell 95 fuel save is pritty good tho. Only use it when i went up home as vpower is exrtortion and the tesco in brighouse doesnt do momentum.

5th Gear did another fuel comparison test -

I have to say that you guys in the UK are lucky that you get such a choice.

The best fuel we have avail in Ireland at the moment is the Maxol with E5 added (they withdrew E85) and not every Maxol has this.

Two companies add ethanol to their fuel - but it is nominal amounts to make any noticeable difference to the economy or power of our cars.

I watched 5th Gear the other day & it pretty much confirmed my experience. At least Shell came out with some credibilty.

i use tescos 99. When i first got the car i used Vpower as i had with my past 1.8Ts and jap monsters. I got caught out 1 day and was forced to use Tescos 99 and have not looked backed since. Im sure it runs better on Tescos than it did on Vpower.