Exhaust Trim

jonceebee

post-100987-0-79585100-1371294150_thumb.jpgI popped these onto my Yeti last week - and by 'popped' I mean:

- Tried to fit trims without cutting pipes - IMHO looked horrible....so...

- Removed bumper trim (easy, 3 x centre clips, 2 x hex screws)

- Marked up twin pipes at same angle as the trim pieces.....wondered if pipes were stainless.

- Started sawing (after masking saw ends to prevent scratching), found it is bl**dy stainless

- Sawed....and sawed....and sawed,,,,,hacksaw broke

- Fetched Dremmel with TC cutting bit (I use this to cut stainless ramps for pinball) broke two blades

- Temper now more frayed than exhust pipe

- Round to mates to borrow angle grinder

- Safety glasses on

- lobbed off pipes - 10 minutes flat

- Hammered on trims with wood block

- Snagged out the job with some fiddling to get them 'right'

Learnings:

- Happy I did this as the pipes look great (even 'she who must be obeyed' likes them)

- It's not a job to be taken on without a grinder

- You definately need to do this in a well ventilated area and mask off everything as the stainless sparks are hot and fly everywhere (including my eye despite the goggles)

- The twin exhasts are a swine to cut if you are as picky as I am and want to keep the minor length difference

- Despite the instructions don't cut them 'flat' they fit better with a slight angle

Here's a pictures, I've also now recoded the software, fitted the boot protector trim (using Tiger Grip), the door trim foot guards, a brighter boot light, the bonnet sound absorber and the next project's going to be a rear view parking camera.

Edited by DrPinball

Rather pleased the 1.2 switched to the single bore then as the genuine Skoda part just hammered into place with no cutting to be done. Are all systems stainless steel parts or just the twin ones?

• 2 weeks later...

"just hammered into place" I envy you, no idea on the stainless one, but given mass production it's probably all the twin pipes with the possible exception of the early twin 1.2 pipes...perhaps someone can confirm?

My 2010 1.2 Manual had a twin exhaust, which if you bought the trim for required cutting back.

My 2013 1.2 Manual has a single pipe and the trim just required a gentle tap with a rubber hammer job done (no cutting back required)

As a follow up to my last post

Skoda Part no 5L0071911 is for the single pipe which I believe is now fitted on 1.2s

I paid £27 plus £3 postage from Walkers of Kings Lynn but your local Skoda dealer should be able to get you one.

You can also view and buy them on the Superskoda webb site who are very good people to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Here's mine.

I have a muffler delete. 3 inch pipe with twin 3 inch tips. Made almost no differance to the noise but under full throttle it sounds a bit more throaty rather than like blowing through a broken whistle. Stays clean too. The few spots are likely to be over 1000km.

Happy Days

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=39518

post-79646-0-94109800-1372337948_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 24/10/2012 at 19:14, Truthseeker said:

Did not know that - cheers. I thought my pipes looked brighter than mild steel.

I do hope they are stainless [origanal tail piece] I am pretty sure they are a magnet does stick but not as strongly as on mild steel.

I dont want to be messing about fitting a tail pipe although they do look nice, so I am polishing the standard one early days as I am starting on 400 grit wet and dry.

Will move up to 600,1000,1500, 2000 and 2500 not sure if the 3000 will be needed.

Polish with autosoll and maybe a light buff with some baby oil  Hmmm will it work we will see,its a job In progress and not rushing if It works i will post a pic.