Is today 'Rapid' Day?

Sat in one today at Garland Skoda.

Disappointed with a capital D!

I'm there tomorrow signing all my paperwork for my Octy, I'll have a gander

If you have a look more closely, you will find that they tend to go for levels of specification a bit more closely, so if you want a Sat-Nav you have to go to the higher levels of specification, whereas you can specify individual components on VAG cars.

So if I wanted a hatchback I would have chosen a Tech 4 'Ceed and I wouldn't have to add anything to it, because it comes with everything I'd want anyway, so nothing to add & the cost would be only slightly more than a fully specced up Rapid,

I don't see the point of paying a whacking great £1500 extra for a Sat-Nav, another load extra for heated seats & so forth, when it comes as standard.

Sat in one in a blue one in Rainworth's showroom this afternoon. I'm not sure of the spec,but it had Amundsen+ (DAB / Satnav), heated seats and ESP. There was more room in the back than in the current Octavia and as previously mentioned, the boot is huge.

The strange thing was that it had electric windows in the front only. It was strange looking at the manual winders on the rear door.

Can't actually recall the last Skoda I had without rear electric windows.

Wonder if BossFox will get one and do an engine transplant...

Just read this...

Good grief, I can only do one thing at a time! :D

About the car, which I posted elsewhere.

I like it. Not disappointed at all. But it's too expensive for what it is.

List prices should be around £3k less IMO, as it's not as good as the Octy.

It's a Fabia with a boot and the demo models are specced up SE models for £20k. Are they mad ?!?

OK, it's more modern and the dash is better than the Fabia, but you can get a similar Fabia for £6k+ less in estate form due to the current special offers.

I am left wondering who will buy these over a Fabia or Octy, both of which are on VAT free deals at the moment and have the same drivetrain.

I would not buy one because I am not a fan of saloon cars.

I don't see the point in the extra length if the boot has very little height, but they do make sense in other countries.

A Russian friend was telling me they are very popular because when it's -20c or more opening the boot does not freeze all the passengers. :)

But if it's an indication of what the next Fabia will be styled like inside I will be getting a Fabia mkIII for sure.

Preferably a VRS with a 1.8 turbo... Please Skoda. ;)

Just read this...

Good grief, I can only do one thing at a time! :D

About the car, which I posted elsewhere.

I like it. Not disappointed at all. But it's too expensive for what it is.

List prices should be around £3k less IMO, as it's not as good as the Octy.

It's a Fabia with a boot and the demo models are specced up SE models for £20k. Are they mad ?!?

OK, it's more modern and the dash is better than the Fabia, but you can get a similar Fabia for £6k+ less in estate form due to the current special offers.

I am left wondering who will buy these over a Fabia or Octy, both of which are on VAT free deals at the moment and have the same drivetrain.

I would not buy one because I am not a fan of saloon cars.

I don't see the point in the extra length if the boot has very little height, but they do make sense in other countries.

A Russian friend was telling me they are very popular because when it's -20c or more opening the boot does not freeze all the passengers. :)

But if it's an indication of what the next Fabia will be styled like inside I will be getting a Fabia mkIII for sure.

Preferably a VRS with a 1.8 turbo... Please Skoda. ;)

It's not a saloon though Bossfox, it's a hatch like the Octavia.

It seems Skoda UK have gone in high with the prices and presumably they will soon be on some kind of offer or just sold with heavy discounts. The online brokers are already offering over 10% off. I specced up an Elegance 1.2TSI on Drivethedeal and with satnav, sports seats, 17in wheels, summer pack and winter pack it came out at £16.5k.

I like the fact that they put the satnvav, sports seats and 17in wheels on the showroom cars - however to do that on the SE model and with the most expensive engine (1.6TDI 105) like the one I saw does make them look expensive.

Does anyone who have been to the dealers today know if the Rapid is included in the VAT free offer?

No, it is not. I think the 20% offer will very soon bite the dust. It's not on the Citigo or Rapid and I bet it won't be on the new Octavia when it appears. I imagine there will be a new incentive to take its place, but it looks to me as if it will not be around on any of the Skoda range for much longer.

It'll stay on the current Octavia to clear the stock.

I agree with Mike.

With the Octy, Fabia and Superb due to be replaced in the next year or so I'd expect the VAT free deals to die off with the old models.

Then when the new models have been out a bit a new incentive will probably arrive.

I'm confused by the pricing too. And I'm not really sure which market it's aimed at - those who think a Fabia is too small, but the Octy is too big? Quite a niche market IMO.

Viewed a pale blue Rapid today at a local dealer and came to the following conclusions:

1. It is seriously UGLY

2. Reminds me of a vauxhall vectra from the front.

3. Interior quality is disappointing

4. The boot is disproportionately large.

5. A really poor effort from Skoda and sets the mark back in terms of image.

Apologies to anyone out there who ordered one!

At 17k I just don't comprehend why people wouldn't buy an Octy?

Because in a years time they won't have the choice as the new Octy will be bigger and more expensive.

That's all I can think of...

It'll make more sense when the new Fabia and Octy come out.

At the moment, with the current models and special offers it doesn't really make much sense IMO.

New Octy will start at £14k, so £15k+ for the ones you will want to buy. That comes direct from the dealership, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Had a sit in a Rapid today and Dad and I both liked it TBH. I found it a nice place to be. Yes there's no soft plastic on top of the dash, but it isn't shiny (good thing) and as long as it doesn't creak, I'd be happy with it. Overall I think it's a nice car, but I can't help feeling that the prices at the top end are a bit steep. I see the SE being the best seller, particularly the 85hp and 105hp TSI engines.

• Like 1

Pictures (at last).

Can't really tell from the interior pictures, but it looks OK.

I quite like the exterior (from that angle) although the chrome grill surround does look like a Movember fundraiser!

• Like 1

Interior in the flesh is Pants

No it's not. It's nicer than a Fabia but not as good as an Octavia which is exactly where I'd expect it to be.

I like the design of it. Yes, the plastics are hard (they are on the UpMiiGo too but nobody complains about that) but that doesn't really matter - like Mike Wrightson said it's more important whether it rattles and squeaks or not.

I'm sure, reading the reviews, that the interior of the new Seat Leon is made out of nicer materials, but I still prefer the Rapid interior as the Seat one looks hideous (and doesn't look expensive either, even if it might feel it)

• Like 1