Current Octavia drivers looking at the Rapid?

Are there any Octavia owners looking at the Rapid as a replacement?

I've currently got a mark 2 Octy which I'm looking at possibly changing in a few months - not sure whether to look at the Rapid (which from what I can see is roughly the same size as the mark 2) or wait to see how much bigger the mark 3 Octy is going to be.

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking along similar lines?

Are there any Octavia owners looking at the Rapid as a replacement?

I've currently got a mark 2 Octy which I'm looking at possibly changing in a few months - not sure whether to look at the Rapid (which from what I can see is roughly the same size as the mark 2) or wait to see how much bigger the mark 3 Octy is going to be.

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking along similar lines?

Does my view count if ive owned an Octavia Mk2 before?! :blush:

Id worry about the quality of the Rapid given the lukewarm reception it (and the Toledo) seem to thave received. Im very much thinking Octavia 3 estate if it turns out to be a decent drive. It would certainly give me the space I need. (Superb 2 is just a little bit on the long side for me).

Just to straighten out this size issue...

Fabia 2 Hatch = 4000mm

Fabia 2 estate = 4250mm

Rapid = 4480mm

Octavia 1 hatch = 4510

Octavia 2 hatch & estate = 4570mm

Superb 2 Hatch & estate = 4840mm

All the spy shots of Octavia 3 suggest it will be 4600-4700mm at most (unless it is riding on 22" wheels to keep it all in proportion!) It wont be as long as a Superb, though it will probably be as wide (same platform). The next Superb might get nearer 5000mm, but not cross it.

With better packaging, the Rapid is actually a genuine replacement for the Mk1 Octavia. Rapid 2 will replace Octavia 2 in 7-8 years time methinks!

Will be looking to replace my Octavia next year, going to wait until both Rapid range is a little more established and new Octavia is out and make a decision at that point. Quite like the look of the Rapid only seen pictures, not seen an actual car yet. Probably looking at an estate, so if Rapid comes as an estate maybe interested, if not likely to be another Octavia.

@Mr Rubble (sorry I don't seem to be able to quote) I had a look at a Rapid last week and I don't know about it being rapid but the boot is huge; Looked about the same size as the boot on my departing Jag XType Estate if not bigger. Was indoors so might have been deceptive cars always look bigger to me in showrooms. I was tempted but an Octi II looked better value and I am effectively carless at the moment so needed something already built.

Thanks all for replies - I do know that the Rapid has received mixed reviews, it's also not on the new MQB platform (cost saving) so think I might wait until the Octy mk 3 (estate probably)

This car isn't really aimed at Octavia drivers, it's aimed at Fabia drivers wanting to trade up or someone looking for a largish car for less cash than a (new) Octavia.

To criticise it from the point of view of someone looking at a car in the £20-£30k price bracket is a bit silly. The engines in this car are perfectly acceptable or in some cases a great deal better than the opposition.

• Like 3

^^^^^^ + 1

As with some of my previous posts in other threads it is designed to punch its weight around the Cee'd, i30, 308, Focus segment.

If the Rapid and Octavia were both launched on the same day, with the Octy II gone, it would be easier to gauge both cars 'segments'.

This car isn't really aimed at Octavia drivers, it's aimed at Fabia drivers wanting to trade up or someone looking for a largish car for less cash than a (new) Octavia.

To criticise it from the point of view of someone looking at a car in the £20-£30k price bracket is a bit silly. The engines in this car are perfectly acceptable or in some cases a great deal better than the opposition.

Well Skoda aren't able to offer anything to me at the moment that matches the Octavia 2, so I dug deep into my savings + medium sized loan to get a car that is right for me.

As I have stated, the engines & trim levels are all wrong and so is the pricing. SUK balls it up big time.

With the Octavia 3 likely to go up into the Mondeo price/size bracket, I was expecting my next choice of Skoda to include a Rapid, especially if the Golf style hatchback materialises, so I had a really good look at the Rapid at the local dealership yesterday and compared it closely to the rest of the range in the flesh.

IMHO it is simply not as appealing as any of the other cars, to the extent that I did not even feel remotely like arranging a test drive. It just does not feel like a genuine Skoda.

Even as a newly launched car it is 20-25% overpriced when compared with what the average Skoda buyer is used to paying for the rest of the range.

Maybe VAG want to reduce demand and waiting lists by trying to push Skoda customers toward Seat and VW products?

Having been happy with new Fabia Mks 1 and 3, Octavia Mks1, 2 & FL Skodas over the past 12 years, I felt that they all offered great quality and excellent value for money, so I very much hope that the Rapid is not a taste of things to come with the rest of the brand.

Have a look for yourself and say what you think.

Edited by P55REY
  • Like 1

I saw a full spec Rapid demo at dealers on wednesday. Looked ok but the salesman that sold me my blackline, says at full spec its dearer than my car!! lol He didn't elaborate further though..

Edited by sly200sx

I test drove (just for the crack) a Rapid this morning, 1.6 diesel in Elegance trim.

To be honest I find my 1.4 Fabia TDI more responsive. Yes the Rapid is ok inside but it did nothing for me. Some the the quality of the plastics just don't look like they will wear well. The ride seemed firm and the handling ok.

I sincerly hope that the Octavia 3, which I hope to be looking at when I come to replace my Octavia 2 vRS, is much better. If not then I will probably look at getting another Superb - if it doesnt leak that is!

Only seen the brochure so far, but it appears that a lot depends upon the colour of the car. Looks like we're going to go and have a nosey to see what all the fit and finish comments are about. Still hate the single audio/phone control on the steering wheel. Just doesn't look right to me. Our next car if the Octy 3 is too big will be from Alfa Romeo.

Not a chance! Went to the dealers today and had look at a SE with sport interior, interior was pants the dash on the demonstrator was already scratched and SWMBO thought the car was dull! She liked every other car in the showroom, citygo, Fabia Monte Carlo, Octy DSG vRS and Superb Elegance though:)

No. Not a chance. Bought a Kia Sportage KX-4 as the Rapid isn't any cop & the Octavia 3 launch is too far away.

I picked up my brand new Kia Sportage 2 in Dec 2010. By August it was gone. Economical round town but thirsty on a long run! As i was only doing motorway trips this was useless. Although it was well specced it had low rent scratchy plastics on the inside. Although it came with a full size alloy this ate massively into the boot space. Couldn't wait to get out of it and back into a Skoda. Bought a Vrs CR DSG and with all its extra performance was more economical that the Sportage. Now in a Superb Greenline and loving it.

Personally I do like the Rapid, I like the new styling, and I think it could open up the brand to a whole new type of buyer. The Rapid takes me back to the days when I ordered my first MK 1 Octavia. A PD130 Elegance. Top of the range for £14000!! a big car on a budget. TBH though I do prefer the exterior of the Toledo.

• Like 1

I think the Rapid looks a bit bland and yes I agree that it is aimed at a different segment, unless they produce a really quick version at a knockdown price (in comparison to VW Audi), ie which first attracted me to the brand, I don't think I'd replace my current car with one. Hopefully this won't be necessary if the Oct III is a step up in quality and a fresher look. Judging by the pictures today, it looks promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I do like the Rapid, I like the new styling, and I think it could open up the brand to a whole new type of buyer. The Rapid takes me back to the days when I ordered my first MK 1 Octavia. A PD130 Elegance. Top of the range for £14000!! a big car on a budget. TBH though I do prefer the exterior of the Toledo.

That was what attracted me to it - I wanted something that would be similar to my old mark 1 Octavia - the running costs on the 105 petrol look sensible, the styling is fresh and yet has something of the old Octavia about it, and it definitely felt roomier for the rear passengers