Edition 100 - and DX Navigation Security Code

So, I've just picked up yesterday (from a dealer 150 miles from home) a lovely Edition 100 with less than 60K on it. Sadly, it seems that they've disconnected the battery at some point since the car came in and it now needs its security code entering - which the previous owner does not seem to have provided.

The manual for the DX system states that the PIN is on a sticker which forms part of the manual, but of course I don't have that sticker.

When I picked up the car, the guy promised to get the code from the Skoda franchise which is part of their dealer group and let me have it today.

Now he's been in touch to say that apparently they "can't" look up the code (implying that it is impossible) and that the car needs to be plugged into diagnostics to sort the thing out.

What I'd really love someone (preferably in the VAG trade) to be able to do is confirm for me one way or the other whether or not the PIN can actually be looked up without being plugged in, based on VIN/unit serial number or similar, or whether or not it definitely requires a diagnostic plug-in.

Anyone able to help?

You do need to take it to Skoda for coding. I have recently tried this on a SEAT unit and the only way is via Skoda (easiest and most secure) or via an ebay unlocker or a company called DND services. I'd prefer not to send my sat nav in a package somewhere, but have Skoda recode it in situ. It was going to cost me £45 to have it done. Generally it cannot be done via a VAGCOM unit - it has to be genuine skoda and they may even require your V5 as proof of ownership!

Enjoy the Edition 100 - they're fantastic cars :)

BTW - my unit was a complete arse to get in and out of the hole it locates in (I have the Digital Sound Package which complicates things a touch). If you need some radio keys and you're fairly local I can help you out.

Now he's been in touch to say that apparently they "can't" look up the code (implying that it is impossible) and that the car needs to be plugged into diagnostics to sort the thing out.

This is correct, Skoda CZ now require the car to be hooked up to the diagnostic computer before the code can be issued and the radio needs to be in the car and not on a bench.

The reason, security. The code will not be issued by the central VW Group computer unless the headunit serial number matches the VIN. The reason this is now required is in part due to an increase in the theft of VW group car headunits, in particular the RNS-510 AKA Columbus.

Saying all the above, you should not need the code as the headunit is comfort coded to the car. There is a procedure that needs to be followed to get the cars ECU to send the code to the headunit.

I believe all you need to do is.

1) switch ignition on, do not start engine.

2) switch radio on, do not touch any of the controls.

After several minutes the SAFE lock should disappear and the radio will start playing its last source.

You do need to take it to Skoda for coding. I have recently tried this on a SEAT unit and the only way is via Skoda (easiest and most secure) or via an ebay unlocker or a company called DND services. I'd prefer not to send my sat nav in a package somewhere, but have Skoda recode it in situ. It was going to cost me £45 to have it done. Generally it cannot be done via a VAGCOM unit - it has to be genuine skoda and they may even require your V5 as proof of ownership!

Enjoy the Edition 100 - they're fantastic cars :)

BTW - my unit was a complete arse to get in and out of the hole it locates in (I have the Digital Sound Package which complicates things a touch). If you need some radio keys and you're fairly local I can help you out.

Thanks - that at least confirms what they're telling me then, which is useful. I have removal keys but I'm trying to avoid removing the unit (although I've been tempted if only to identify whether or not there's a code written on it by now!) - and like you also have DSP so will watch out for that one.

This is correct, Skoda CZ now require the car to be hooked up to the diagnostic computer before the code can be issued and the radio needs to be in the car and not on a bench.

The reason, security. The code will not be issued by the central VW Group computer unless the headunit serial number matches the VIN. The reason this is now required is in part due to an increase in the theft of VW group car headunits, in particular the RNS-510 AKA Columbus.

Saying all the above, you should not need the code as the headunit is comfort coded to the car. There is a procedure that needs to be followed to get the cars ECU to send the code to the headunit.

I believe all you need to do is.

1) switch ignition on, do not start engine.

2) switch radio on, do not touch any of the controls.

After several minutes the SAFE lock should disappear and the radio will start playing its last source.

Thanks for that. I was expecting the automatic re-code to work, as that's what happened with my old WRC and indeed with my second Octy vRS. I expected the smarter DX unit to be the same, but obviously that's not happening for some reason.

Booked in with the local dealership for Thursday morning now in any case - will see how we get on.

Maybe the unit in the car isn't the one that was originally fitted, and doesn't match the VIN...

From memory, the 'sticker' that came with mine was actually just the corner of a page from the service book(?). But I can't find it at the moment to check (decorating for SWMBO!)

good luck

In all the times I've had the battery off my car the DX unit has never remembered to initate itself without me putting the code in.

Someone above mentioned DND services and can advise I have used this company (although not for my DX unit), I had no trouble with them and the turn around was very quick.

So today I took the car in to the local VW dealership who are also the local Skoda service centre, and they plugged her in and did the business and gave me the code. I now have working sound and navigation, and the Dension Gateway that I was pleased (and surprised) to find in the glovebox is also a handy thing to have.

They even washed and vacuumed the car for me - not bad for a tenner (which the supplying garage paid!).

A bit of a bonus was that when I was finally able to eject the mapping CD, I discovered it's a 2010 version, with TMC rather than the '05 version I expected to have to upgrade straight away.

Result.

Now I've just got to fix the 'lights failure' warning that I created when playing around with VCDS the other night. Looks like I may have a failing/failed load level sensor. A little job for the weekend.

A bit late, but quite a few units do not even require a new code, just a VCDS/other OBD scan is enough to make the unit ask the rest of car for the valid code (ie return to normal use). Had this with a Roomster's unit recently. .

Edited by dieselV6

A bit late, but quite a few units do not even require a new code, just a VCDS/other OBD scan is enough to make the unit ask the rest of car for the valid code (ie return to normal use). Had this with a Roomster's unit recently. .

I tried a VCDS scan early on just in case that would kick it in to life. Didn't help unfortunately :happy:

• 4 years later...

Do you have the code?  SAFE mode often comes on after entering the code wrong too many times.  You need to leave the keys in the ignition with the unit displaying safe mode until it lets you have another go at entering the code.  But you need to have the code!  Do you have it?

• 2 weeks later...

Just put the code in then!  If you entered the code incorrectly many times you will have to leave the car on with keys in it for a while until safe mode passes.  It does this to prevent "brute force" attack of trying out every single code.