Lucky?!

Fabia93

So last night I got my timing belt done, when I spoke to the guy after it he said that the belt was freying and 1 of the pulleys had 3 cracks in it and was close to going, he said I had maybe weeks at the most before it snapped. If it wasn't done last night I would have waited till march when I get my bonus! Even tho I now have no money till payday after what he said I think it was completely worth it.

Just thought I would share my luck with you all.

• Like 2

When I bought my fabia 1.4 16v on 80k I immediately had the Timing belt and water pump changed, only to find when we took the waterpump off the actual pump had snapped and broken off inside. It was only the casing that was holding it together. Could of locked up and made a mess at anytime. Lucky I got them changed!

When I bought my fabia 1.4 16v on 80k I immediately had the Timing belt and water pump changed, only to find when we took the waterpump off the actual pump had snapped and broken off inside. It was only the casing that was holding it together. Could of locked up and made a mess at anytime. Lucky I got them changed!

My Polo with the same engine did a similar thing. Bought the car off a friends dad (never doing that again). Mileage was getting close so I though I'd have the belt checked by my mechanic. He took the cover off and started it then rushed round in panic to turn it off again. The tensioners had shattered and the belt had an almost incomprehensible amount of play in it. How it never jumped a tooth I'll never know. Turns out my friends had had a feeling something had happened after finding lumps of plastic on his driveway one morning. Thanks for telling me!. I was £250 out of pocket after spending all what I had on the car. The car had other problems (AUA engine) and safe to say he's not a friend any more.

So if skoda say 4 years or 40k miles yours has lasted double the expected time.

For the record id change it at 60k or 6 years but thats just me.

Skoda say 4 years or 60k on pre 2002 + 80k or 4 years on post 2002...

Dont know where 40k has come from..??

I've had my 1.4 16v since new in 2001.

Skoda at the time said 60,000miles or 6yrs........

Then about 4 to 5years later cira 2006 they changed their minds to 40,000miles or 4yrs

This was because they had quite a few which had the belts go and thus valve/piston contact........

My local dealer had a customer car which was about 2yrs old and about 40,000 to 50,000 with the belt gone and thus a new engine........I remember talking to the head mechanic about that......messy.....Skoda paid up tho as still under warranty! and had full dealer servicing!

Mind you the first time I got mine done I drove about 3miles down the road and them back to the dealership as it sounder like a drag strip racer.......the belt tensioner for the camshaft belt was faulty and had failed..........so they had to strip it down and redo......thankfully no valve/piston contact as it was still in "time" but it has jumped one tooth!.......and that started a recall on the timing belt kits due to a faulty batch of tensioners!!!