Octavia revving on idle

Hi all,

This morning my car started revving on idle without having any contact with the pedals.

It seems to go from 750rpm to roughly 1250rpm.

No engine management light, and can't check for fault codes as I don't have the software.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

This morning my car started revving on idle without having any contact with the pedals.

It seems to go from 750rpm to roughly 1250rpm.

No engine management light, and can't check for fault codes as I don't have the software.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ross

Had exactly the same thing with exactly the same model. Local Skoda dealer claimed to have no idea whatsoever but a quick search of his forum indicated most likely cause was faulty PCV.

This was backed up by a quick phone call to Awesome who supplied a replacement - problem cured ! :)

If it's the PCV, as mine was, it actually doesn't do it when cold. Once the engine is warm though it will just keep going up and down from 750 to 1250 rpm in roughly 2-3 second cycles. I also found it felt like it would hold back sometimes when accelerating, almost like intermittent boost.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did a similar thing yesterday when i left work,

Engine was cold sat at the traffic lights and i could hear the engine revving but the rev counter remained still !! When i say revving it wasnt like a boy racer !

But when i blipped the throttle the rev counter responded,

This was the same for the next few minutes and stopped as i continued my journey home,

I had no DPF light come on,

Could this be the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bloody hell i hope not, just been out in it and its done the same again breifly when it was cold,

I dont want to spend money on it unecessarily, if its the DPF how often will it do it? or if its the PCV how will i know?

Finally managed to get a mate to do a scan for fault codes on the car

Three came up, they were

P0441

P0100

P0441 (PENDING)

Any idea what they mean?

Car is still doing as it done before and now has a very, very rough idle.

Those are generic OBDII codes, the first relates to the charcoal canister and the second is the MAF.

Try googling them. It would be useful if you could find someone near you with VCDS as it will probably give more information.

hi, had exactly same problem. broken breather hose, (the long one which is going from engine head to oil filter) or the short one from head to ..., cost me about 30 euro. short one is very easy to change

Does anyone have a link to a replacement pcv?

I contacted awesome who advised me of something completely different, which was...

I would personally go for the ECS replacement kit as listed here:

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk5/ecs-oem-breather-update-kit-mk5-gti-pas-b6-jetta-2-0t

Is this the same thing?

Had the engine cover off and I have heard air being sucked in through the pipe on the round black circle in the picture.

When I cover the small pipe on the right the engine struggles and stalls. It also sounds like a pop is coming from inside it.

Any ideas?

post-35875-13577615891182_thumb.jpg

Is this the same part as above? As it looks different on the side.

Edited by ross p