4x4 mode speed limits?

parambyte

Just wanted some information on whether the 4x4 mode has a speed limit? Does it only work on speeds under 30 kmph?

Also, if you have the 4x4 mode switched on, and drive faster than, lets say, 30kmph, does it adversely affect the drive train and other associated mechanics?

Aain, i would like to understand how the 4x4 mode works on the Yeti. Unless I switch it on, the car is rear driver or front? Its obviously not a full time 4x4?

Lastly, if you have a very long stretch of smooth but extremely wet road, would traction control help the car?

(Apologies if the questins a basic. Am a newbie in this space)

Firstly, there is no switchable four wheel drive ie no button. It's an automatic system allowing 5-10% to go to the rear axel at all times then varied as required. There is no speed limit for the haldex 4wd system, it works through town and at autobahn speeds. Haldex 4 is pre emptive also.

This might help:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252400-off-road-button/page__hl__+off#8208road%20+button#entry2964185

I would also suggest that you look in the Handbook, as there is a very good description there about what it includes and how to use it.

• Like 1

If you look up "Haldex" in Wikipedia it gives a pretty good explanation of how it works (the Yeti has Haldex IV). You can also go on to Haldex's own web site and see funky videos illustrating it.

The Off-Road button tweaks the way some of the clever traction and stability control systems work, in order to help when driving over loose surfaces. It doesn't switch the 4x4 on or off. As proof: in the UK the Off-Road button is a factory-fit optional extra on all 4x4 models bar the Elegance spec. SO you don't need the Off-Road button to have 4x4.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I think the first post is refering to "4x4 mode" and meaning Off Road Button.

I think the OP was under the impression that the Off-Road button was a 4x4 selection control like you get on some more traditional/old-fashioned 4x4 systems. These sometimes need the vehicle to be stationary before you can engage four-wheel drive, and sometimes have a limit on speed at which they should be used (usually I think because of limitations in the design of the mechanicals of the system eg differentials, or absence thereof).

...its something like 20mph from memory and the smart thing is that its then automatically comes back in when you drop back below the speed limit of its function.

It's not as cut and dried as that. The Off-Road button activates a number of different features which operate in different ways. You're probably thinking of the Downhill Drive Support function, which the handbook states operates up to 30kph (amongst other criteria). There's also the Off-Road ABS function which operates up to 50kph (at higher speeds you get normal ABS, rather than none!) Start-Off Assist, as the name implies, operates when you're starting off. TCS aka ASR Off-Road "operates when starting off or at low speeds" - there's no specific limit given. Similarly vaguely, "EDL is activated earlier in the Off-road mode than in the normal mode."

All this information is in the handbook.

Downhill Drive Support is really clever: the car doesn't even need to be in gear, and it works in reverse as well!

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but I think the first post is refering to "4x4 mode" and meaning Off Road Button.

So, for example, does the Off Road Button have a speed limit? etc...

BossFox is right. And i got my answers from all the wonderful replies. I had read the manual, but the service guy was giving me a different story. (Skoda India service has a rather sad reputation). The sevice guy told me if I drove at high speeds with the 4x4 button switched on, i could risk damaging the car. But again, he seemed a little unsure himself. So i thought I should get this checked. Considering that fact that the Yetis has a very refined and modern tech driving it, i didnt thing this should be the case.

But then again, its always better to ask. Ad thanks for all the replies.

As I understand it the Haldex as fitted to the Yeti is developed from the system that was fitted to the Audi Quatro and that was rallied with no speed restrictions.

Fred

As I understand it the Haldex as fitted to the Yeti is developed from the system that was fitted to the Audi Quatro and that was rallied with no speed restrictions.

Fred

Not so sure on that, Audi generally used a longitudinal engine layout and Torsen diffs. Permanent 4wd, rather than the partial one using the Haldex system of the Yeti. Some of the later cars have started to use the Haldex system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fred

Two different systems but Audi do occasionally use a haldex setup (A3,S3,TT) but badge it 'Quattro')!

Audi do occasionally use a haldex setup (A3,S3,TT) but badge it 'Quattro')!

It's "quattro" with a lower-case "q" - the upper-case initial being reserved for the Audi Quattro car.

Audi badge anything with four-wheel drive capability "quattro" these days. It's their trade mark so I suppose they can use it how they like, but they did seem to be rather denigrating their own technical and sporting heritage when they suggested that the original, almost revolutionary torsen-based system from the fire-breathing Audi Quattro which dominated world rallying in the early eighties was "invented for" the rather flabby Q7 soft-roader (which actually uses a different 4WD system bought in from Borg-Warner anyway).