Air escaping from brake pedal when pressed

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Skoda Octavia 1.6 tdi. Recently I noticed when I depress the brake pedal before coming to a stop it sounds like there is some air escaping from the pedal. The brake pads were replaced about 45,000 km ago and the brake itself is working fine.

When I turn off the car the brake pedal goes hard which is normal.

Any ideas?

If there was air getting in or out of the brakes system, you would know about it with a spongy peddle and eventually no brakes at all.

Brakes will be hard when ignition is off. If you have to pump them when driving to get a decent peddle and brake effect then you have got a leak somewhere

@Countryboy/Ian

Yes, it does go hard when I press it a few times. I guess since the pedal goes hard after pressing it a few times the servo is working ok?

Since yesterday I can hear a different sound (it is not really metallic to be honest but more like something rubbing together) when pressing the brakes coming from the rear, thus I think maybe it is just the rear pads that need replacing. I took it to a garage and they said it is probably the back pads which are worn down causing more sponginess.

Does sound like a leaking servo (it's vacuum operated). I'd be suprised if worn pads caused sponginess - shrieking, yes, when they hit the metal backing plates.

Does the fact that the brakes go hard after pumping them a few times when the car is in neutral indicate that it mightn't be the servo?Took it to a garage yesterday and they claimed the brakes are fine besides worn rears pad, however I do think the car feels and sounds differently. I will replace the rear pads and let you guys know if it makes any difference. If it doesn't work I shall take it to the main dealer (the main dealer was booked out until after Christmas unfortunately).