Mine occasionally used to do this when at the pump. A solution I saw online worked. 

1. Lock the car with the remote

2. Apply GENTLE pressure to the fuel flap (pressing inward not pulling out) 

3. Unlock the car while still applying that gentle pressure to the flap

4. Release and open as normal

• 10 months later...

I eventually decided to replace the locking actuator. I have a 2014 SII estate.

My filler cap started to get stuck and did not open with the C/L last summer. Some pressure onto the flap helped though. I then opened the mechanism to regrease as the actuator usually worked with pressure onto the flap.

Last month I noticed that the flap was actually not locking anymore when the C/L was engaged. So I opened the mechanism again and strange enough it worked when I tested it and put some extra WD40 onto moving parts. The next day the flap was stuck in the closed position and would not open at all. I searched several forums for a solution and on a german Skoda forum one guy suggested to prise the flap open simply by pulling at the top of the flap with your fingers and working the C/L. The flap has enough play to get a finger in gently and the force seemed enough to the release it.

I then cut one of the wires and ordered a new actuator. I bought a cheap one on Ebay rather than going through the dealer. The part worked fine and I soldered it onto the cut wires rather than taking my boot liner off, although in another forum I read that one owner had cut the boot liner in the storage pocket to get a hand in and then unclipped the connector which sits at the bottom of the wheel arch.