Glow plug system light flashing followed by control system for exhaust light

Hi Guys,

Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi common rail 2010 95,000 km.

I noticed the glow plug light started flashing about a month ago. It disappeared when restarting the engine and did not show up again for the next 3 weeks.

On week 3 it showed up again. I restarted the car and it disappeared.

Today the glow plug light began to flash. I stopped the car and restarted it. This time when I restarted it the glow plug light still flashed and the Control system for exhaust light came on and stayed on. The car entered limp mode. I tried restarting the car but both warning lights continued to show and the car stayed in limp mode. I drove the car in limp mode for 1 hour (I was in the countryside) until I got home. I left the car for an hour and when I turned it on the control system for the exhaust light remained on but there was no glow plug light flashing and the car was driving as normal.

I decided to drive it at 3000 RPM for 40 mins in case it was the DPF. When I restarted the car after this drive the control system for the exhaust light was still there but the car was driving as usual. I left the car for 15 minutes and when I turned it on now no lights are showing and the car is driving fine.

The DPF light did not show up at any stage. also, I do about 6 hours motorwar driving a week and the rest are half hour drives on main roads so the car should get adequate time for a regen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

As an aside;

I had a problem in July when the control system for the exhaust light was on and the glow plug flashed. When I stopped my car back then, the fan would go into overdrive and the car's battery would go flat. It turned out that apparently the relay for the glow plug was not pushed in properly. The main dealer kept the car for 3 days and tried to charge €500 (I got them to reduce it to €436) for the loose connection. I would prefer to take it to a Skoda dealer that I know and trust next week as it is booked in for a service there. The dealer is about 250km away from my current location (my home town) next week as I have it booked in for a service, but I wonder is it worth the wait?

Thanks!

Edited by segaBOY

Just an update, drove it today and there was no warning light and the car was driving as normal. I don't know if I can put this down to a once off without reading the fault codes! It will be going for a service soon and I will keep you posted.

Its unlikely to be a regeneration issue, as this would have brought on the DPF light.

The glowplug and engine management light might still be related to the DPF but will be an indication of an electrical/sensor issue.

The only real way to know is to have the fault codes read as the lights will have logged a fault.

Personally I would rather have this checked out sooner rather than later. A car going into limp home when your close to home is fine but when your not it can be a real nightmare.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

ive experienced this before...engine management light and glow plug warning lights illuminated with lack of power (limp home) and it was the egr valve faulty but having said that your fault could really be anything like the other guys say exhaust pressure sensor is a common thing. good luck with booking it in

Had a feeling,suppose it could be worse. Yeah quite an involved job as its at the back of the engine with the DPF in the way but at least the car will run normal after

• 8 months later...

exactly same thing happen me  -Glow plug system light flashing followed by control system for exhaust light

it was diagnosed as the egr value. I am out of warranty so its going to hurt cost wise...

just a question for anyone does this happen often...can it be avoided i.e did i do something wrong/stupid like short trips/ long trips, bad driving  i.e.  to fast over speed bumps, wrong gears...hand brake on  while driving or something like that... not that i do any of this but just wondering is there a common cause of why this happens or is it just one of those things that it can go at anytime?

thanks

• 1 year later...

87K on the clock and had the same issue last week. Glow plug light flashing and car went into 'Limp Mode', "ENGINE FAULT WORKSHOP" appeared on Maxidot display.

Took it to the nearest 'stealer' to get a diagnostic check (£80!) and turned out to be faulty EGR valve.

Needed car ASAP so had to agree to let the 'stealer' fix it there and then.

£800 all in...  :'(

Service manager suggested cheaper diesel, with <=10% biofuel, and gentle driving (missus uses it for her daily 30 mile commute and other 'Mum-cabs' short hops) was likely source of problem.

Will be taking it on frequent commutes myself (100 mile round-trip) and using premium diesel every fourth fuel to combat the problem.

On the plus side - engine feels brand new as it had been getting really sluggish before. Acceleration pick-up is now a million miles from what it was. :thumbup:

Edited by Rab-k

• 1 month later...

Got up this morning and the glow plug symbol came on after a few minutes.

Had to park up for 10 mins and when I restarted it came on again after 1 min.

Was 1/2 mile from home so went and got wifes car....

Don't know if its the brake lights issue but don't think so.

Will bring to garage to get computer checked.

Reading posts the EGR or brake switch seem the most common issues.

A question though why does the EGR valve replacement cost £800 when the value is on £40.

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffDepartment=egr%20valves&fffMake=skoda&fffBasemodel=skoda%20superb&fffModelDescription=superb%202008%20onwards&ffftd_car=2.0%20tdi&fffBHP=170

Is it all labour ?

UPDATE -

Maybe Im looking at the wrong thing ???

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1278820

Edited by dfsuperb

• 4 months later...

just replaced the alternator on my octavia diesel estate, 08 plate, went  for a drive this morning car went into limp mode and glow plug warning light flashing.......not touched anything but disconnect battery, wired to alternator........any ideas

veh was running great before this

It might be a simple coincidence - this warning light could appear without alternator changing.

If the alternator could be faulty then you'd see another warning light. Like all people suggest - you need the diagnostics scan to see what's wrong.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just not long bought an octavia scout, '59 plate with 96k.

Have just been told by local dealer that it I'd likely the egr valve and am now not looking forward to what they quote me when I take it in.

• 2 years later...

Skoda Rapid 1.6TDi on a 2013 plate, I was getting the DPF warning light and then the flashing glow plug warning light. The dealer replaced the EGR valve as a goodwill gesture about 6 months ago BUT the warning lights have just started appearing again!

Any ideas whether blasting at 3k revs for a while on a motorway will help, seeing as my EGR valve is relatively new?! I tried doing so and it worked for a week before the glow plug warning light returned. I do one or two short trips each day but give it a few long runs at high revs several times a week.

Cheers.