How to remove stuck rear brake drums Felicia 1.3

Yeah I didn't mention why I wanted to check the brakes.

Well when I am doing 70 km/h or more I feel a rapid unconfortable vibration on the steering wheel and in the car, when I am driving at lower speeds, I don't have that vibration.

Another reason is curiosity and the need of learning. I just wanted to check how my rear brakes were. I wanted to see it by myself.

Adurer could you comment on the grease I used? Is it everything ok?

Vibrations under braking, particularly if they're coming back through the steering, are more likely to be in the front brakes than the rear ones.

Starting with visual checks, examine the discs for any evidence of big rust patches in, or for deep scores running around, the polished swept area that the brake pads bite on. If either of these exist, you should replace both the discs and the pads. Incidentally, you can replace the pads without needing new discs, but not the other way around.

If the discs look ok, swap the wheels front to rear. If the vibration goes away or moves to the back, it's caused by one of a damaged tyre or bent wheel (now one of the 2 rears). Inspection should show which.

If that hasn't worked, you need to measure the disc run-out using a dial guage. You almost certainly don't have one yourself, and it's not worth buying one if you don't have regular use for it. Ask a garage, and if they give you a straight answer that involves about half an hour's work, then get them to do it. This might show up an out of tolerance run-out, in which case the hubs and disc mounting flanges need cleaned or the discs are warped, or it might not which would suggest pad residues on the disc swept areas.

In the last of those cases, you might be able to fix it with some abrasive-faced pads, and then using the handbrake rather than the foot brake when stopped in traffic.

Well when I am doing 70 km/h or more I feel a rapid unconfortable vibration on the steering wheel and in the car, when I am driving at lower speeds, I don't have that vibration.

I understand that he is having a vibration in steering wheel at speeds over 70 km/h WITHOUT ANY BRAKING INVOLVED.

That is not related to brake system. Probable causes are:

- bad tires (imperfections)

- wheels not balanced

- lug nuts loose

- missing counterweight on longer CV axle (the passenger side one)

- bad wheels alignment (toe angle) or car has the chassis bent from an accident

- very badly worn CV axles

The grease is good. Do NOT let any grease on brake surfaces! Use a brake cleaner spray.

Edited by adurer

I understand that he is having a vibration in steering wheel at speeds over 70 km/h WITHOUT ANY BRAKING INVOLVED.

{snip}

I mis-read the OP; I'd agree about the likely causes of vibrations at speed, with the notes that:-

1. Loose lug (wheel) nuts usually make a deep rumble as well as vibrating.
  2. Worn CV joints are normally noisy as well, and will be noiser when going round corners regardless of road speed.

• 1 month later...