Pressed metal number plates

Gizmo

OK to start with I am not a huge fan of the pressed metal plates…. but that is simply because from my experience of driving abroad they tend to look quite tatty after a while (I assume stone chips are the main reason?)

So I am looking for your real life experience of them, what are yours like after 30K + miles?

are they looking tatty or as good as new?

IF I went the pressed plate route then they would be the legal UK font and spacing, alternatively can you recommend a normal plate supplier that makes the traditional UK plates (registration mark placed behind the clear acrylic front) that do not fade, as mine look pretty crap and faded after just 12 months.

These are the metal plates I am looking at

I have had mine on the car for a long time now, as you know Martin, the front one has been battered over the years but still does what I need it to do, the rear one is still in mint condition.

The best thing about the pressed plates is that if they are impacted they don't shatter and you can just bend them back to shape.

I was hoping you would post Simon as I know you have done a fair amount of miles with them on.

Any chance of a close up photo of the front one and a rough estimate of the mileage it has done?

• Like 1

I was hoping you would post Simon as I know you have done a fair amount of miles with them on.

Any chance of a close up photo of the front one and a rough estimate of the mileage it has done?

I will get an image up here soon and show you the damage.......:)

• Like 1

AIUI they are legal providing they are:

• reflective - white front & yellow rear background with black characters (black background plates are only acceptable if the car was produced BEFORE 1973)
  • UK font
  • spaced correctly
  • conform to the correct size
  • has the manufactures details on the bottom (inc post code)
  • has the correct BS AU 145d displayed
  • not have a background pattern
  • ‘Euro’ flag or national flag of registered country c/w country letters… GB SCO, etc)

Any alterations from the above can carry a fine up to £1,000 and also you may have the right to display the plate withdrawn (you never actually own a number plate, you own the right to display it)

The only country letter you can display is the one where the car was registered - so you cannot display a ‘D’ (Germany) on a UK registered car.

I have bought these plates from this seller, nothing wrong with them, perfectly legal, I am not into modified cars but I love metal plates, personally they just look better, have bought several versions and some last longer than others but have these ones on for about 12 months and nearly 10K and so far so good, no major issues with them, recommended!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the plates in the link in post #1.

Total cost was £23.49 delivered for the pair, the quality looks spot on and looking at his feedback I could not find anyone who has bought them who were not happy with them.

Time for a couple of coats of wax and to pop them into the No. plate holders.

• Like 1

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the plates in the link in post #1.

Total cost was £23.49 delivered for the pair, the quality looks spot on and looking at his feedback I could not find anyone who has bought them who were not happy with them.

Time for a couple of coats of wax and to pop them into the No. plate holders.

Sorry I never put any images up but sounds like you have gone all out............:)

• 4 years later...
19 hours ago, Jack898 said:

Hello Apparently there is a court case with Dubmeister pressed metal plates which was won has anyone come across this or know of finding it for me. Many thanks

LINK

This case was won yesterday - I don't think it's the one you are referring to.  Basically pressed are legal (see Gizmo's post )  - the background has to be retroflective and the letters not. (I think)

Edited by io1901

Hello Many thanks for the reply where about does it say about pressed plates court case  ?? thanks for your help was this court case on pressed plates which you are talking about. I Cant seem to find it on that link can you send me a screen shot or help on where to find the relevant information. Much Appreciated thanks again.

@Jack898 - I've added an answer to the thread you made.

@io1901 - currently regs require the background needs to be retroreflecting, pressed metal plates are reflex-reflecting, effectively meaning that no car registered after 1st September 2001 can use pressed metal plated. More information in my other post:

1 hour ago, Jack898 said:

Hello Many thanks for the reply where about does it say about pressed plates court case  ?? thanks for your help was this court case on pressed plates which you are talking about. I Cant seem to find it on that link can you send me a screen shot or help on where to find the relevant information. Much Appreciated thanks again.

Link was cut off in its prime - should have the correct link in now!

47 minutes ago, io1901 said:

Link was cut off in its prime - should have the correct link in now!

Ah ok that link takes me to the page but its talking about speeding offences ??? can you send me a screenshot ?? please to see if we are on the same page thanks. I see what GIzmo has written above about one the plate has to conform with just cant see the won Court case on that link Many thanks again for your help and time.

Edited by Jack898