Peculiar findings after buying a car

Recent brought a 2003 Fabia, love the car theres just a few small issues (the stereo was one)

Thought I'd take a look at see if there was any loose connections at the back as it was very intermittent and cutting out randomly. After I got the stereo out there was a lot of rattling inside so took it inside to open it up and dig around...

Found about 30p in 5's 2's and 1's and even a few Kronar in there! I'm assuming the family it came from had a child who liked putting pennies into the cassette deck!

After I emptied the stereo of pennies the stereo is now working perfectly! Just got to fix the stereo not turning off with the ignition and the drivers door speaker!

Anyone else ever found any perculiar things like this after buying a car?

PTum3l7.jpg

When I bought my first car, I noticed lots of loose change rattling around etc.

It was a mk5 Fiesta, after removing the rear seats and rear door cards I found £14 in a mixture of pound coins, 50s, 20s and 10s!

In my current Fabia the owner failed to empty the glove box of CDs, old phone bills and a massive pot of E45 cream! Also found an air freshener modelled on a vagina.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Haha, that's amazing! Glad it's working - no lose connections after all :)

With my Fabia, either the previous owner or the place I bought it from had used wads of blue paper towel to replace a missing pollen filter cover. This only became a problem when the pollen filter was replaced as part of a service, and parts of the blue paper towel ended up getting stuck around the air blower fan.

I also found a pen in the "secret compartment"/lower deck section of the glove box :)

Edited by Craig A Rodway
  • Like 1

When i bought my old 206 i got it home and gave it a good clean out. I found a letter in the glove box saying the car had always been looked after and driven nicely and it would always be "their" car! I also found a pair of old knickers under the rear seat! They looked well "used"!

My Fabia had one lady owner yet there was 3 cans of lynx underneath the drivers seat.

The strangest part being, there is no way of getting them in there! You would literally have to pull the front plastics off.

That wasn't an air freshener. Google 'Fleshlight' :bandit: Can't believe you sniffed it ;)

I've heard of those lol, that's what popped into my head when I first saw it! I gave it to the lads in work who hung it up in the kitchen :p

Yeah Craig thankfully it wasnt too much work! You can never have too many pens.

I wish there was £14 in the stereo! Mind you it would have been pretty full...

Hanging in the kitchen? Well I guess thats one use for it :giggle:

Well used knickers? Dare I ask what made them look well used? haha

Edited by painejake

Hey Jake,

Theres a setting on the radio to turn off with the key, going into the settings menu, scroll through and one option should say KEY turn that to on/yes and see if its sorted :)

• Like 1

Hey Jake,

Theres a setting on the radio to turn off with the key, going into the settings menu, scroll through and one option should say KEY turn that to on/yes and see if its sorted :)

Already tried that one, but thanks for post mate. That seems to be the most common cause of this issue! It's not a massive deal, though if I'm honest would be nice to get it sorted.

It could quite possibly be, its going in for a service next weekend so will ask them to take a quick look see if they have any ideas.

A bit off-topic but regards to the door speakers I'm assuming to replace the speakers (if needed) I will need these rivets to replace the ones I drill out?

Previous owner left the 6 CD changer full. Posted them back to him and didn't even get a thanks.

Bought a Yaris T-Sport years back for the g/f at the time. Got a good price, but the dealer said "oh, you need to pay x for the car tax, give us the money and we'll do it for you". Car was collected with a brand new disk in the window (which we paid for) and about 7 months left on the old one in the glove box which the stealer had taken off but had forgotten to cash in! Nice.

• Like 2

My Fabia was a Police Liason car before I got it.

Was giving it a damn good clean inside not long after I got it and found an evidence bag in the seatback pocket. Fortunately it hadn't been used but wasn't exactly expecting to find it.

• Like 2

I didn't find anything too exciting but the cap off some De-icer, an old actamel yogurt which was mouldy and a shriveled up black nectarine which i thought was a squash ball at first. Oh and plenty of what looked like rockwall under the rear seats.

Already tried that one, but thanks for post mate. That seems to be the most common cause of this issue! It's not a massive deal, though if I'm honest would be nice to get it sorted.

Check the HU wasn't swapped out for an after market version and the perm/switched live swapped over in the car side of the connector. It's easier than fitting an aux loom to do the same job. If the new HU was swapped back to be sold in a hurry you could end up with a permanent 12v feed where it's normally a switched 12v.

• Like 1

I believe those stereos actually do turn on with the ignition off, but should turn off when the key is removed.

Edited by anewman

Mine was cleaned out by the dealer apart from a shell loyalty card and a pen attached to my sun visor.

Also I‘ve heard of people on the forum finding the “missing“ service history in the secret 2nd glove box basement cubby hole thing.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

A couple of pens, some loose change and a condom in the hidden compartment in the glove - Bearing in mind it was a 1 previous owner of elderly female variety.......... :sick:

And a full tin of de-icer behind the passenger underseat cover - was driving me nuts the random knocking as I didn't know the compartment existed!