1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

32 minutes ago, TheClient said:

1.  Yes. All true.
Very much not understood by VW parts departments, TPS, mechanics but there were 2 different designs and they were applicable to different manufacturing periods.
I'll have to look up my notes for @rayx and get back to you what you need.
But I remember enough to know / recall that AJ and AH are on different streams i.e. not appropriate for vehicles that build across the specified date...

2.  But, again, if you've got serious oil usage it is likely to be oil scraper rings design fouling, 
that has caused bore scoring... a very very common problem in gen 2 especially 1.8tsi

1.  It would be greatly appreciated if you could find any information about this.
    Thanks 👍

2.  If it means scratches/scoring in the cylinder walls/lining, then it is probably not economically justifiable to fix it.

On 15/07/2023 at 19:33, TheClient said:

Yes. All true. Very much not understood by VW parts departments, TPS, mechanics but there were 2 different designs and they were applicable to different manufacturing periods. I'll have to look up my notes for @rayx and get back to you what you need. But I remember enough to know / recall that AJ and AH are on different streams i.e. not appropriate for vehicles that build across the specified date... But, again, if you've got serious oil usage it is likely to be oil scraper rings design fouling,  that has caused bore scoring... a very very common problem in gen 2 especially 1.8tsi

Have a look through this thread and the documents and attachments from @rayx . It covers some of the differences and applicabilty. 

For ccza 2.0tsi it was clear.

The mfr cut off was 13.06.10.

Pre 13.06.2010) 

VW suggests E => AC => AH (most current)

And a different path for 14.06.2010 and later vehicles

H=> AD =>AJ (most current).

However, for 1.8tsi it does not differentiate and leaves only one part applicable. AH (lates revision then). 

This was was from listings and extracts of part listings and updates 6 years ago, and vw and audi also compared. There were differences! It is possible guidance could of been revised again now.

It didn't make a lot of sense to us that the 1.8tsi didn't have both pcvs applicable for different manufacture dates in the same way as ccza. So it is a bit of a mess. It may have been updated now to reflect the 2010 mfr date. Maybe interrogate the parts desk a bit more with this information. 

The difference between 2 models of pcv fine oil separator, is the existence of an additional checkvalve. 

Not as clear as I thought for the 1.8tsi. All a bit of a mess 6 years ago....unless it is revised again. Even for ccza vw, audi, skoda listings differed which shows how things can get lost in simplification and part updates in listings.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheClient said:

It didn't make a lot of sense to us that the 1.8 TSI didn't have both PCV's applicable for different manufacture dates in the same way as 2.0 TSI
So it is a bit of a mess.
The difference between the 2 models of PCV's is the existence of an additional check valve.

👍 Great info ! 👍

Sticker on the cam chain cover says that the engine itself is manufactured in November 2011   ( Now if this information can be of any use. )
Engine is:   1.8 TSI   ( Octavia-II SCOUT 1.8 TSI  )

So if I understand you and the other thread correctly, the only difference is an extra check valve in one of the PCV's versions...

(  ....The way I think, it should be better to have an extra check valve for the crankcase ventilation. )

06H 103 495 AH  🥴
06H 103 495 AJ   🥴

....Conclusions just to clarify things:
1. Which of the versions has 1 check valve ?
2. Which of the versions has 2 check valves ?
🥴

PCV ventil exempel.jpg

Edited by 2stroke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all ,octavia 2011 1.8tsi ,throwing up a vcds fault codeP1386 which points to a knock sensor fault .Any1 know were its location is and part number.I read a few threads around net,and it is poss to do with limited

Usually on the engine block at the upper cylinder level, possibly on the cylinder head if its not a cast iron cylinder block.

• 3 weeks later...

You can add my 2009 L&K to the list ,just over 100,000mls, running fine, just been serviced - went back to parked car - rattling sound on key turn diagnosis, "timing chain jumped". Valve meets piston, replacement engine needed! Looking now for remanufactured CDAA bare engine - any recommendations very welcome - need it back on road as soon as possible!

Based in Westbury, Wiltshire