Coolant question/help

Bit of help and advice on what to do guys:

About once a week the coolant level keeps dropping and the wee light on the dash comes on. I pull over, pop the bonnet and yes the coolant level is well below the 'min' level. So I turn the car off and begin to open the expansion/coolant tank - as I unscrew the lid there is pressure released and the tank begins to automatically fill up with pink coolant (as if its being drawn back into the tank because I've unscrewed the lid....)

It doesn't quite reach the 'max' level so I top up the coolant level with G13 coolant and everything is ok until several days later the warning light appears again and have to top up the level....

I've also had leakage of coolant from the expansion bottle overflow & lid area - so I replaced both expansion tank and cap and it still hasn't resolved anything.

Its almost as if the car is forcing coolant out of the expansion tank via the overflow & lid area but also sucking the coolant that's in the tank into the "coolant system" and the only way to get the coolant back into the tank is to open the lid where there is alot of pressure.

I have read a few threads on here and am hopping its not the head gasket thats going...

The temperature is at a steady 90 and there are no signs of the mayo on the oil cap so thats abit of good news.

Any ideas folks??

Thanks

I had the exact same with mine and everything pointed to HGF from what i read on here. You won't always get creamy oil, it could be going the other way and evaporating through the exhaust hence its hard to spot the issue. Do you find it loses coolant quicker when you drive the car harder? To be fair i drove mine for almost 2 years with no other symptoms, i just kept topping it up but i suppose it could have gone at any time - i just didn't wanna spend the £500+ to sort the HG just before trading it in.

Marc

• 5 months later...

Well a little update on the dreaded coolant loss and the constant build up of pressure in the expansion tank.

I chatted to different mechanics, read loads of reviews, did as much homework as possible and came to the conclusion that I needed to get the HG replaced i.e. Head skimmed, new gasket, new bolts - basically the full works!   So left my car into a recommended independent mechanic who had the car for a week and a half and did what needed to be done (as above) and also changed the timing belt kit as my car now has 112000 miles on it and the timing belt was due to be replaced.   

Got the car back on Friday evening and have been driving it gently just to bed it in etc.   Haven't drove over 70mph but have put the foot down a few times and when I got home, popped the bonnet and checked the coolant tank and everything seems perfect :) , not leaks, coolant remains at normal level, just a minimal release of pressure as I unscrew the cap but that's because the coolant is still warm (not recommended but I just had to check).    

So all in all everything seems to have worked with regards to replacing the HG so I'm one happy bunny lol  

Ohh and the question Im sure some of you's will ask is "how much did it set me back?"   Answer = £600 on the button.   I had budgeted that but thought it was even better value considering I get the timing belt replace too.

So for anyone with the High Pressure Coolant Loss scenario, I recommend saving up and getting the HG replaced.  

I just decided to get it done however if I didn't have the money I would still be driving it as it was but I was always hoping & praying the Head wouldn't actually go on me!

No signs of performance loss though my mpg is now sitting @ 56.2 (better) but I'm thinking that's because I haven't really drove it much - will know better next weekend after my drive to and from work this week.

I'm quite fussy when it comes to noises or rattles in the car and everything sounds exactly the same - as in the note/sound at which the car idles at etc  

Yip 100% skimmed and deeper gasket fitted (don't know how much was skimmed) plus new bolts which cost £60 or so from VW.

• 2 years later...

its wierd cause i had same problem , coolant disapearing out of no where and when you unscrew the lid it will rise back up with lots of pressure, but the wierd side is that the car was much more faster and had more torque when the head gasket went to now where its been repaired and its lots no end of power :/ 

but i do have a coolant leak now coming from drivers side of engine bay :(

• 5 months later...

Having same issues as described above. This has followed me needing to replace top and bottom elbows from intercooler. Now getting white smoke on startup loss of coolant and high pressure in header/expansion tank. Also it's now decided to push out hot air into the car through the vents when the temperature is set at 16. Would the head gasket cause all these problems if it needs replacing? Car ran rough for about a week after replacing the bottom intercooler hose, but now seems fine after I stopped filling up at a supermarket (M) fuel station. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Having same issues as described above. This has followed me needing to replace top and bottom elbows from intercooler. Now getting white smoke on startup loss of coolant and high pressure in header/expansion tank. Also it's now decided to push out hot air into the car through the vents when the temperature is set at 16. Would the head gasket cause all these problems if it needs replacing? Car ran rough for about a week after replacing the bottom intercooler hose, but now seems fine after I stopped filling up at a supermarket (M) fuel station. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Yes, all indicate head gasket failure except the heater issue which will be a stuck flap motor and is unrelated.

Is the head gasket a diy job or will the block need skimming?

Yes, all indicate head gasket failure except the heater issue which will be a stuck flap motor and is unrelated.

If you put a HC-tester in the "fishbowl" You can be sure if it something wrong with the head gasket.

- never fail... It takes 5 minute in a garage /workshop.

Edited by Torbo

There's a free test that seems quite reliable though.

First thing in the morning, take the lid off the expansion tank before you start the engine.  If there's a hiss of escaping gas, that indicates a pressure imbalance that shouldn't exist if all is well.

The excess pressure comes from combustion gases leaking past a fire-ring of the headgasket during operation. So it basically tests the same thing as the HC test.

Careful not to burst another hose or god forbid, the heater matrix.

My mate once had one of the rubber hoses for the heater matrix burst under the dashboard on a Skoda Estelle. Sprayed scalding water all over his legs :giggle:  The hose seemed very poor quality rubber.

• 4 weeks later...

Still having issues. The car has been in the garage since Tuesday and so far it's had a stiff test, a new thermostat and new cambelt and water pump fitted. Test came back fine with no evidence of emissions in the coolant. They have started flushing out all pipes and done radiator just in case there's a blockage. Top end coolant were getting hot but bottom ones were staying cold. I know the bill will be increasing with no sign of fixing it, so any insight into possible causes would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...