Lots of new build/equipment/spec info here....

Yeti_Man

So realistically how soon might one take delivery of a car with front-assist? I'm looking for contract hire to start on 1 August and front-assist/adaptive cruise control are 'must have' features (unlike chrome window surrounds :-)).

From the above it looks as though the vRS will be available before front-assist so early examples won't have it? As it stands the vRS will start building in just over 4 weeks time but there is no price or spec yet!

I guess 12 weeks from ordering is currently reasonable? Im also after the front assist/adaptive cruise myself and Ive learnt from previous examples of how Skoda introduce new models.... not to get the order in too early.... they soon increase the nicer options as they ramp up production of the new model. I havent seen any documentation to say front assist is an option on the VRS at all btw.

Mines been ordered for September delivery - do you think they are built a certain time after ordering, or a certain time before delivery? If the latter, there is a chance I will get front assist (although haven't bothered with ACC, which is not an option yet anyway). My reading was its new orders after July will get it, but is that orders received or orders to be built for a certain delivery date?

I guess 12 weeks from ordering is currently reasonable? Im also after the front assist/adaptive cruise myself and Ive learnt from previous examples of how Skoda introduce new models.... not to get the order in too early.... they soon increase the nicer options as they ramp up production of the new model. I havent seen any documentation to say front assist is an option on the VRS at all btw.

I think they're coming through a lot faster than 12 weeks at the moment. But what I actually meant was if I order today and say "don't build until front assist/acc is available" how soon can I take delivery? Ask the dealer I guess, though generally it seems that people on here know more :)

It seems hard to believe the the vRS won't have front-assist when the rest of the range does.

It seems hard to believe the the vRS won't have front-assist when the rest of the range does.

In the brochure and in the first post, it says that Front Assist is standard on Elegance, not across the range. I though vRS was usually based on a lower trim level?

In the brochure and in the first post, it says that Front Assist is standard on Elegance, not across the range. I though vRS was usually based on a lower trim level?

I think the point was that it will be an option across the rest of the range hence should at least be an option on the vRS?

Edited by Matt Pez

I think the point was that it will be an option across the rest of the range hence should at least be an option on the vRS?

But the posher options havent been available on the sports spec VRS before? I guess it depends on the marketing men and the accountants ie having to make a specific part to mount to the different style front VRS bumper and grill.

I think the VRS will be fairly low specced (maybe based on the SE) at launch, it was only later in the Mk2's life that the VRS became better specced with things such as multi-CD.

I think the VRS will be fairly low specced (maybe based on the SE) at launch, it was only later in the Mk2's life that the VRS became better specced with things such as multi-CD.

...and the option of heated seats. I agree but ultimately, who knows right now? :)

The vRS front bumper and grille might not accomodate the front assist radar pod.....no great loss as its just a bit of a novelty item IMO.

As I mentioned in my post above but I'm not sure ever refer to a safety device such as that as a novelty tbh. I'll be speccing it as if it saves an accident just once in the time I own he car ill think it was money well spent in protecting me, the mrs and the two kids in the back. :)

• Like 1

Absolutely, it's a non-negotiable feature on my next car. I've never run into the back of anyone yet in 35 years of driving but I'm not perfect and nor is anyone else. Far more important to me than stick-on bits of bling or ride-crippling Carlos Fandango wheels & tyres - but then I am getting on a bit as this sentence shows in more ways than one!

• Like 3

It goes to show that Skoda play second fiddle to VW - the Golf Mk 7 from SE up have had this from day one, it's also standard on the latest GTI from release.

I think that knowledge is already a given but some would argue that its actually a benefit for the new kit to be out there being 'tested' before it comes down the chain to Skoda. :) If your comparing with the Golf SE kit list then you should also be aware that on the Golf you dont even basics such as front fog lamps, parking sensors, electrically folding mirrors and even 2 zone climate control!

The winter pack will not be available with petrol engines for the foreseeable future.

Big disappointment at this move. That pack was drawing me to a possible purchase, but now I think I'll just sit back and let the bugs get ironed out, the spec get a "mid life" upgrade and a VAT free offer kick in to make the prices more reasonable.

........If your comparing with the Golf SE kit list then you should also be aware that on the Golf you dont even basics such as front fog lamps, parking sensors, electrically folding mirrors and even 2 zone climate control!

I did compare the Octavia Elegance with the equivalent Golf SE - and came up with a like for like price difference of nearly £3k in favour of the Skoda. I don't know what it is that turns me off the Golf, other than price, even accepted that it is a better car than the Octavia in some ways, I think it just reminds me of white goods somehow, perfectly functional like a Miele washing machine, just about as stylish and leave me cold as a result.

Edited by Timoctav

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info Yeti_Man. Do you have a date for the build/availability for the 1.4TSI DSG? I have that combo on my saloon and think it's great but I need to move to an Estate. I'm lowish mileage with dodgy left leg so the petrol 1.4 DSG is perfect.

Do some these 1.4 TSI engines have the cylinder shut off like in the Golf and Audi?

Do some these 1.4 TSI engines have the cylinder shut off like in the Golf and Audi?

No not as yet, but the economy even without it is pretty good.

I was getting really excited about the front assist, but know fact that my new octy which is at the dealers does not have it.

Looking at some of the comments bout 'must haves' I can agree with, but I said the same about the xenon headlights as they are on my current octy, but could not push myself to send the extra 1k.

Would loved to have ordered a factory spec but did not want to wait 3 months as I have service, tax, mot, and so pick up my shiny new elegance by the weekend,

I hope that when I love the car as much as I have my current octy, I will look forward to ordering another in 3 years.

It would also be interesting to see how good front assist is, because it might stop you, but will the person BEHIND you have it as well ???

I was getting really excited about the front assist, but know fact that my new octy which is at the dealers does not have it.

Looking at some of the comments bout 'must haves' I can agree with, but I said the same about the xenon headlights as they are on my current octy, but could not push myself to send the extra 1k.

Would loved to have ordered a factory spec but did not want to wait 3 months as I have service, tax, mot, and so pick up my shiny new elegance by the weekend,

I hope that when I love the car as much as I have my current octy, I will look forward to ordering another in 3 years.

It would also be interesting to see how good front assist is, because it might stop you, but will the person BEHIND you have it as well ???

I'm sure you love your new car as front assist or not, it is a significantly better car than the Octy 2. I too would have liked front assist for it's added safety, however minor it may be in reality, but like you couldn't justify waiting due to upcoming costs with my trade in.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered an Octavia 1.6TDi Elegance as a company car and apparently the order with the leasing company was placed on 15th July.  Does that means i should expect to see Front Assist on the car i receive? (fingers crossed....)