Over revving engine?

And so the fun continues!! Having got the car back from it's MOT & repairs I now have a new trick to contend with.

When the car was being prepped I had a split hose replaced (EML was on); on return the EML light was off & all seemed fine, however, I have noe noticed when having a bit of a hoon that there seems to be something amiss with the way the engine is performing.

Under heavy acceleration in second & mostly third gear it appears to over rev between 2000 & 3000 revs, I can't notice any discernable drop off in acceleration but obviously it makes a racket as the engine races then settles down again.My first thought was slipping clutch but it doesn't seem to affect the drive in any other way.

I have also noticed that it runs a little rough on first start up, even after letting it settle before driving. I wondered if this might be down to a dirty throttle body that requires cleaning?

Any advice gratefully received.

Under heavy acceleration in second & mostly third gear it appears to over rev between 2000 & 3000 revs, I can't notice any discernable drop off in acceleration but obviously it makes a racket as the engine races then settles down again.My first thought was slipping clutch but it doesn't seem to affect the drive in any other way.

Gotta be something in the drivetrain. Clutch is most likely. Worn gears, final drive, diff, driveshafts, etc.

Brake fluid should have been changed when they did the caliper on the rear surely?? If not then it probably would have been at the last service, around twelve months ago IIRC.

Why would this affect the engine performance though? (apologies if dumb question!)

Brake fluid should have been changed when they did the caliper on the rear surely?? If not then it probably would have been at the last service, around twelve months ago IIRC.

Why would this affect the engine performance though? (apologies if dumb question!)

The clutch and brake system share the same fluid. If the clutch isn't pressure bled correctly, you can get symptoms similar to what you describe. It's like lifting your foot off the clutch very slowly. There is no 'grab' and unlike a slipping clutch, it does it at higher revs/lower gears.

• Like 1

That would make sense, having just got back in it seems to be third gear when it is most obvious, as I said it was peaking at about 3000 & then settling (well, I have to lift off at that point as the Octy will make a big dent in the wall!).

IF I go steady with the loud pedal there is absolutely no problem at all, having had the caliper changed & bled i think I'll give the guy a tinkle to let him sort it out.

Thanks for the advice rwbaldwin