Upgrading alternator

Heyup,

Want to look into upgrading my alternator, but don't know where to go.

Mainly as I'm putting quite a lot of amp/bass items in the boot... and not sure if the normal alternator will be too happy about it!

Advice?

From 2004 onwards, the diesels have either a 90 or a 120 Amp alternator, matched to a 44 or 80 Ah battery.

If you've got the 90, I'd guess it would be an easy upgrade to the 120, getting the bigger battery at the same time.

Sorry Volf, but I need to correct my first post above.

Just checked my mk2FL 1.9 TDI 2009 Vehicle Data Plate 'Optional Equipment' codes: I've got a140A alternator ('8GU'), and 60Ah battery ('JON'). So much for the standard spec! :think:

I guess it just depends on what was lying around handy in the parts bin when the car was built!

Look at the end of the alternator away from the drive pulley, where there is a plastic cover that goes over the brushes and regulator gubbins. There will either be a small plate riveted to it, or numbers stamped on the cover, that say something like '14V 120A'.