Rear wheel arch liners?

Owens

• 1 year later...

I discovered to my dismay that the wheel arches on my recently-purchased 2014 5-door Citigo Greentech Elegance allowed mud and debris to be thrown all the way up the insides of the rear quarters of the car. So, having found this thread (many thanks for the useful parts lists and fitting instructions), I decided to order the wheel arch liners from the local Loughborough VW dealer. Total cost came to £109, so there seems to have been significant inflation over the last year-odd. I'll report back after collecting and fitting the liners.

As far as I can reach up the back of the wheel arch cavity (and beyond), the surfaces are covered in dried mud so I'm probably going to have to use a high pressure hose - does anyone know whether this likely to cause problems, e.g. due to the cavity not being sealed at the top? I don't want to find muddy water emerging in various places inside and outside the car! 

My next (pretty simple) job will be to fit anti-vibration/noise reducing self-adhesive matting under the bonnet, on the inner sides of the wheel arches, plus other yet-to-be-decided places. You can buy a 12-sheet pack of this matting for about £15 from Amazon UK, so it's not an expensive job. 

• Like 1

I used my hp washer before fitting them with no issues. The worst bit was trying to find the holes which are sealed over. 

I am also going to fit some noise reducing matting but will probably only do the boot area and rear arches as there is nothing there as standard.

46 minutes ago, Scottk said:

I used my hp washer before fitting them with no issues. The worst bit was trying to find the holes which are sealed over. 

I am also going to fit some noise reducing matting but will probably only do the boot area and rear arches as there is nothing there as standard.

It's useful to know that I can squirt some water up the back quarters of the Citigo without problems, as I can't reach the mud up there any other way. I'll be using photos provided by other posters on this topic to find the holes (fingers crossed). I've collected my originally-ordered wheel-liner kit, but have found that I need a couple of plastic brackets for the fronts of the two rear wheel arches (now on order).

With regard to sound insulation, the two sources of noise are panel vibration and sound penetration, so it's a good idea to stick vibration damping sheets (usually 2mm thick) on the centres of any flat surfaces before fitting the soundproofing foam sheets (typically 10mm thick) over them. I've already fitted vibration damping sheets to the in-boot sides of the rear wheel arches and the bonnet. Don't forget to wipe over panel surfaces beforehand with meths or white spirit (then wipe again with a dry towel or cloth), otherwise the vibration damping sheets will gradually peel off - I forgot to do that under the bonnet, and had to peel off the sheet, clean and replace. I suspect that it would be worthwhile to vibration-damp the insides of the doors, including the boot door, and also the spare wheel housing; however, if I go to the trouble of removing all this trim, I'll probably squirt some Dinitrol cavity penetration fluid into the seams at the bottoms of the doors. 

On 7/7/2013 at 17:57, Owens said:

I have produced a ROUGH guide for fitting the liners and posted it in the Technical section.

Really sorry for being so dumb, but where exactly do I find this guide? I can't find what I would regard as a technical section, never mind your guide.

I have exposed some of the liner mounting points on my red Citigo Elegance, but it appears that there is very little support on the outer side of the wheel arch, and I can't work out how the heck I would fit and stabilise the liners on this side. I have ordered the front plastic mounting bits for the fronts of the liners, but it appears that I would need mud flaps fitted in order to support the (outer) backs of the liners. I followed a link to a guide for the Up! (written in German), but the rear wheel arch liners appeared to be significantly different, and came with felt pieces and some side strips to link the liner to the outer part of the wheel arch - so no help there. Hence, I really would appreciate a perusal of your guide.

As an aside, one of the most common places that cars corrode is round the rear wheel arches due to the way that the manufacturers wrap/bend the steel sheet to form the wheel arch seam. I had previously been intending to strip out the rear side upholstery to get at the inside of this seam, but I discovered when looking for fixing points that there is a round rubber bung that can be levered out with a small screwdriver (see picture); from the bung hole, the complete seam can be sprayed with (in my case) Dinitrol penetrating cavity wax. It's obviously much easier to do this BEFORE fitting the wheel arch liners.

IMG_20171010 Citigo 'bung' access to inside of wheel arch (1) (cr).jpg

IMG_20171010 Citigo 'bung' access to inside of wheel arch.jpg

Edited by allanhodgson
Pictures interfering with text.

On 7/7/2013 at 17:57, Owens said:

I have produced a ROUGH guide for fitting the liners and posted it in the Technical section.

Hi Owens, after spending a further hour going through the Briskoda site, I did find your very useful rough guide - many thanks. Although I have since lost the relevant page location, I had printed the guide out; it was reassuring to confirm that what I did is more or less right.

PS. Without the rear mudflaps, the liner does hang rather loose at the back, and it protrudes a little below the rear bumper but it's hardly noticeable. There are a number of gaps where mud could perhaps build up, so it may be worth removing the liner after (say) a year to check whether this is a problem.

I fitted them to my 64 plate after a weeks onwer ship and it was easy and I presume they have not changed the design since then.  Replace the front bottom moulded plastic part and fix the liner to this and hold it in place and mark the holes with a marker pen. Remove and poke with a csrew driver until you find the soft spots where the holes are. I too a knited and cut a small square and used a screwdriver to remove the cover.  Remember that there is one on the outer wing too, (just one from memory).  I then sprayed all holed liberally with vaxoil nd fitted the plastic lugs, sprayed more in top and then fitted the liners and sprayed more onto the bols inside the new liners. The rear fixing is not great but there is a small bit you attach the back bottom to but DO NOT over tighten this.  The liners will show about 5-10mm at the bak which is fine by me, I did not fit rear mud guards.  Have had them in for 2.5years and have had no issues. Deffo makes the car quieter.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it seems not, having now surreptitiously poked my hand up the rear three quarters of the cars in question. New-model VW Ups do have them, while the equivalent Skodas and SEATs don't.

What abject penny-pinching. Stupid stuff like this makes me hate VAG. The Koreans have their trim levels and marques, but they don't p*ss about like this.

Edited by PatH

• 1 year later...

While it does not show the holes in the body - it at least shows how the screws are expected to be used to install the liner. 

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/citigo/cit/2013-727/8/809-809070/

Sadly the parts codes are not listed.

The corresponding parts for VW are listed here

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/up!+e-up!/up/2013-723/8/809-809070/

Does anyone know if the parts from VW Up are usable on a Citigo?

• 1 year later...

It appears that early citigos don’t have holes in the body to fit arch liners. Mine is a 62 plate. I spent all morning poking around with a small screwdriver. I scraped an patch of sealant off in the area where one of the holes should be after studying Owen’s photos in his tech guide and there was no hole.

I’m deciding whether to drill mounting holes or give up on the idea and put the parts in the For Sale section. 

5DF6D3F5-5B99-4756-B3C0-ECB4B8AF18C3.jpeg

87969FD6-55CD-4026-B5C7-4CFEB36A4F14.jpeg

Its a bit difficult to see because of the cavity wax mess. My car above compared with Owen’s below.

Edited by hitower