Rear wheel arch liners?

Owens

They are very hard to find. Mine is a 2013 model. Best way to find them is to offer up the arches and use a pen to mark the holes, then use a screwdriver to feel for the discs, it will give slightly and as it does you can just make them out.

Offer the liner up to the bottom of the inner chassis rail and mark the three holes. You should not be far off the holes. 

OK after prodding for ages I decided to borrow a borescope to look inside the chassis rail from the other side of the panel.

There is a grommet in the bottom of the rail at the rear which I removed and used as an entry point.

The sad news is that I have now confirmed for definite there are NO HOLES in my UP to fit these clips to.

I need to look at another way to secure the liner. Any ideas?

So if you have a 2012 MY car there is a strong possibility you will have nothing to mount the liners to!!!!

Edited by windy123

• 1 year later...

Went to the VW dealer yesterday with the list from this thread, and they told me they have new part numbers, I haven't bought anything yet, just got the quote left on their system. Here's the list as on the quote:

M W1S0 810 971 C	N/STOCK WHEEL HOUS.	1x	£29.59
M W1S0 810 972 B	N/STOCK WHEEL HOUS.	1x	£30.32
M W1S0 810 987 9B 9	N/STOCK ADAPTER		1x	£3.97
M WN 106 213 01		D3A214 NUT		4x	£0.68 each £2.72 total
M WN 909 747 01		D1A043 BOLT		1x	£0.13
M WN 908 338 01 	D1A067 NUT		6x	£0.51 each £3.06 total

Other than the M W at the start, the part numbers look similar. It looks like there is only one of the adapters on the order, there should be a 988 9B 9 part there too unless its a left and right set together now, and there is just one M WN 909 747 01 bolt in the order, should this definitely be 12 bolts? (its for a 64 reg Black Edition, if that makes any difference).

That list with the 988 9B 9 part, and 12 bolts should be ok to go ahead and order?

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered, done and fitted, thanks to Owens' PDF in the technical guides. One small query, and its not a big deal, the rear edge of the liners pokes out past the bottom of the bumper, only by about half an inch on the outer edges, its like its got very small mud flaps :) . Everything is fitted and screwed in where it should be. Is this because the Up and Citigo have a slightly different shape to the bottom edges of the bumper? I'll take a pic and post it when I can.

The origins of the liners are from the Cross Up. The Cross has plastic arch extensions which I believe allows the liner to slot into.

2 of the bits on the list, the nut parts (the plastic plugs that go into the square holes in the body shell) came as packs of 25, and they wouldn't split them down to the right numbers. Ordering the right number of the 747 bolt parts was fine.

The buying in a pack is a dealer thing. Most will just order the correct amount some will not. They say they dont use them so don't want to stock any.

• 8 months later...

My wife has recently bought a 2015 Citigo to replace her aging 15 year old Lupo, but "shock-horror" we were surprised to discover that the Citigo isn't fitted with rear wheel arch liners! I This is a bit of an issue as we live in rural Hampshire where the roads in winter turn into rivers of mud and stones washed down from the fields - just the sort debris to fill up all those nooks and crannies and quietly start the unseen corrosion process just like it was on the Brit cars of the 70's!

So fitting rear wheel arch liners is a "no-brainer" for us, however I gather from previous posts that the recommended liners are intended for the Cross Up! which has external bumper side moldings which means the liner will protrude from the outside edge of the Citigo bumper.

Owens has done a fantastic job producing a technical installation guide, however what I would also like to know is:

Can the liner edge be easily trimmed to fit the Citigo bumper profile and if so is it also necessary/recommended to fit rear mud flaps to provide a fixing point for the liner's free external edge?

Any fitting advice/tips would be much appreciated.

My wife has recently bought a 2015 Citigo to replace her aging 15 year old Lupo, but "shock-horror" we were surprised to discover that the Citigo isn't fitted with rear wheel arch liners! I This is a bit of an issue as we live in rural Hampshire where the roads in winter turn into rivers of mud and stones washed down from the fields - just the sort debris to fill up all those nooks and crannies and quietly start the unseen corrosion process just like it was on the Brit cars of the 70's!

So fitting rear wheel arch liners is a "no-brainer" for us, 

Um, sorry to say, but the thought that a liner doesn't introduce a new area for all this mud and moisture to sit and collect, away from your hose, defies logic. Far easier to clean all the nooks and crannies without the liner. The only reason to fit them on the rear wheel wells of the Citigo is to reduce the noise of the mud and stones.  Fitting them is a nice idea, but  in my opinion not for the reason you've stated.

I fitted the liners from the e Up as I read on an Up forum that they were a better fit than the Cross Up and have some sound deadening on them.They were easy to fit with no cutting required on the Citigo. I cant comment on how they fit with Mudflaps though as I dont have them. The parts man at Winchester Skoda was very helpful. They definitely reduced road noise particularly when its wet.

Couldnt agree more about Hampshires rural roads!

I'd recommend fitting them from experience, I have a hole in my rear arch where something has either flung into the arch at speed piercing it, or someone has jabbed it with a tool whilst working on it at the dealership 

Edited by Hyphons

SJRT - thanks for the tip about using the e UP! arch liners - do you have the part numbers?

I wouldn't think you'd need them tbh, dealerships in my area now look up parts via your numberplate and simply don't rely on part numbers, bit of a pita tbh

Sorry no I dont have the part numbers - it was a couple of years ago. I do remember it was a satisfying job to do particularly when you locate the holes for the screw fittings!

Thanks for looking SJRT, I think I've found the VW Up! posting where the e Up! liners are recommended, http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/ordered-rear-wheel-arch-liners_topic4671_page1.html?KW=arch+liners  over the Cross Up! with their corresponding part numbers.

BTW, did you need any other parts in addition to the e Up! liners as I notice that the Up! posting part list above includes some items not listed in Owens fitting guide? 

The part numbers I have are (may be VW):

1SO 810 971-LHS wheel arch liner

1SO 810 972-RHS wheel arch liner

1SO 810 987 9b9 LHS lower adaptor

1SO 810 988 9b9 RHS lower adaptor

n 106 213 01 expanding nut (x4)

n 908 338 01 expanding nut (x6)

n 909 747 01 hex socket panel bolt (x14)

Hope this helps. I got a quote last week and it comes to just over £90. Going to fit them when it's a bit warmer!

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to report that I got my rear wheel arch liners fitted today by a Hampshire Skoda dealer body-shop and well pleased with the end result on a white Citigo!

I found an excellent and definitive guide on an European Up! forum that uses the VW e Up! parts that are also a good fit for the Skoda Citigo http://www.upsociety.de/index.php/Attachment/4556-Anleitung-up-Radhausschalen-nachr%C3%BCsten-pdf/ however you need to join to view the guide; it's in German, but the pictures speak a thousand words! 

My thanks also to TumzDK who sent me pictures of an installation he did on an Up! that explianed the mystery of the un-allocated liner holes mentioned previously in this post - there's a self adhesive fitting that's attached to the inside of the rear bumper.Makes the whole rear bumper a lot more rigid!

Basically, the above fitting guide and parts list makes for a straight forward installation.