Aircon problem

Had to wait an extra week for the repair as the Skoda de-gas machine went kaput.  Have now had the work done as the bolt in the centre of my pulley had sheared off.  They removed the faulty compressor, flushed the system, replaced the drier and compressor, and re-gassed the system.  Total cost to me was £139, which is slightly less than the £144 they initially quoted me.  It's also guaranteed for 2 years as Skoda carried out the repair.

Big thumbs up again to Garytc78 and Azur Skoda, Chichester.

Got mine booked in for next Tuesday, same problem, though my dealer is checking the car first ( will cost me £90 for the checks) then contacting Skoda, hopefully there will be no problem and they ca get it all done in the 3 days that they will have the car.

Well.... its in for the compressor, my dealer was following a different TPI than the one listed and wasn't going to change the condenser and drier, gave them a copy of the TPI posted on here ( to which they appeared stunned that I had got hold of said document) so I'm not sure if they intend swapping out the latter two parts or just the compressor, got the 100%/50% split under the goodwill program thought so many thanks to you guys for pointing this out, maybe this should be added to stickies if it is such a common ( and potentially costly, compressor alone is £1100 +VAT) problem

Thanks to Pompeykev for the help and time in calling me to discuss this, if we ever meet at a Brisky day I owe you a pint....or 20!!! :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

• 3 years later...

Holy thread resurrection! ! I'm having this aircon issue. Car recently regassed initially all seemed well. Blowing cold but just done a scan and showed as refidgerant level low. I'm suspecting a failed compressor as i know it hasn't been changed. So, does anyone know any more regarding a contribution from Skoda and if it's still ongoing? This was from a few years back.

Can't comment on the remaining presence of the Skoda contribution. But if you need a new compressor and other parts replaced a good independent aircon engineer should be able to do the job for around half the £1,200 plus a dealer will charge.  Compressors can be had from about £200-£250.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply. It looks like compressor fail tbh. I asked the seller if all was well with the a/c and he did say it had stopped working a few months before he sold the car. I had the system leak tested and gassed and all looked fine. But no real need for cold air during the winter so everything seemed working but temps are going up now and now I've noticed it aint working. Fans aren't kicking in, fault scan says gas is low. Next step i suppose would be check pressure switch but compressor looks likely. Sanden fitted atm. Any ideas regarding replacement units? Prices and places to buy?

You can usually get Denso's, Nissens, Sanden, et al. From memory Zyxel was the worst replacement. Best to match the part number from what is installed to guarantee cross compatibility as there is a few types. And the thing is you'll need a fridgie to evacuate, possibly flush and re-charge the system and they will quite possibly they'll prefer to supply their own for a complete warranty on the job.

So I would suggest finding someone for the job first and discussing before buying anything.

If it's caused contamination you may need to replace more than the compressor as well.

• Like 1

Yes just a search on Briskoda reveals the Sanden units are the ones prone to breaking up inside so needing a flush. Other units strip the centre bolt ( Denso? ). Hopefully I'll get it booked into my mechanic tomorrow and see if he can get to the root cause as tbh it doesn't look a home mechanic job.

Car has gone into my local indie today. He is busy atm so not sure when he'll get to it but i will update here when i hear from him. Never rang Skoda maybe i should have.

Right i have an update for this thread. Picked car up from the garage this afternoon nice cold air blowing through my vents. Turned out my compressor was actually working away quite fine. Major leak traced to the condensor around the dryer seal area apparently. A few options considered but in the end i went with a genuine item supplied by TPS. Gassed up and ready for the blazing hot summer! Now on to changing my alarm sire..

Edited by meaty101