One year on with the Monte Carlo 1.2TSI 105 HP

Greetings. 

Thought I would do a report One year down the road, and 10,600 miles in one year and one month!

My 1.2TSI replaced a 6-year-old VRS that had done 60K and simply thought it was time to change and had a really good deal.  So I went from a 130bhp and bags of torque down to 105hp and far less grunt.  The power loss was something that concerned me but a year on a time for reflection!

The deal I had included 3 years free servicing ( for what it s worth) and apart from tyres I do not expect any outlay.  The fronts are about half worn and the rears still like new, Dunlops.  Will swop them around next month.  Something always done as get a real deal buying four at one time.

The TSi engine is really very very sweet.  It potters around and in town I have not missed that 1.9 lump. I have however missed it on the longer trips such as 200-mile hop across country.  The TSI will motor along all day long at legal speeds and still have some for a bit of overtaking, but nothing like the old vRS.  Bear in mind the number of times I do that sort of trip, no issue I guess.

I was disappointed in the MPG.  I had hoped for mid 40,s.  Never get near that, always low 40’s on a run, and high 30;s MPG pottering around at home. The official figures are to me, are unachievable.

I read a few reports about oil use.  Mine has not moved a drop on the dip stick.

I have the red and black roof one, and everyone tells me what a nice looking car it is, I do feel it is a bit of a sheep in wolves clothing.

Mine came with a few extras, the Bluetooth telephone kit, which is great.  I miss the cruise control I had on my previous Skoda’s and this is something  I might well add in the coming months as a retro fit. 

I was tempted and thought about the vRS but have too much of a hit so this will stay with me for certainly 3 years.

The old DPF stopped me going down the oil burner route with the type of driving I do, I would be worrying about the thing.

Looking at the car as a whole I am pleased with it, and would do it again.  It is good value when you compare with the same engine as say a polo

Edited by Trotts
  • Like 2

Good to hear that Trotts. Good review. I picked my Monte 1.2TSI 105 on Friday. I too was a bit disappointed by the fuel economy. I previously did 80k in my MK4 Golf with the 1.9TDI PD engine and I know what you mean. Outstanding engine, power, economy and reliable. Would have loved it in my current Furby.

Have you considered getting a remap?

I too am a bit surprised at your fuel economy figures. I recently have done a couple of 200 miles (ish) round trips returning around 50 mpg and not driving with economy in mind. I also find that my 'around town' figures are way better than my 1.2 HTP (70).

Mine is DSG so not sure how that stacks up against the manual but with care I could easily push it up to 55mpg  if I stuck to 70 mph or less on a motorway run.

Good to hear that Trotts. Good review. I picked my Monte 1.2TSI 105 on Friday. I too was a bit disappointed by the fuel economy. I previously did 80k in my MK4 Golf with the 1.9TDI PD engine and I know what you mean. Outstanding engine, power, economy and reliable. Would have loved it in my current Furby.

Have you considered getting a remap?

Yes I have, in fact on the phone to Jabba a few days ago.  They did my vRS some years ago and did a cracking job , a nice stage 1.  I spoke to the font of knowledge there and he stated they could increase it up to around 125hp but the torque would remain about the same, and same sort of levels.  Also main consideration was that it would be noticeable at any main dealers and with two full years warranty remaining I take the view not worth it. (Or the risk,and over £300 as well).  I agree, I wish that engine could pop straght back into this one.  But it cannot and the world has moved on !! 

Edited by Trotts

I too am a bit surprised at your fuel economy figures. I recently have done a couple of 200 miles (ish) round trips returning around 50 mpg and not driving with economy in mind. I also find that my 'around town' figures are way better than my 1.2 HTP (70).

Mine is DSG so not sure how that stacks up against the manual but with care I could easily push it up to 55mpg  if I stuck to 70 mph or less on a motorway run.

At the first service i asked about my MPG, nothing to check, I was told !  Also it seems i am the 'norm'.  I always empty my tank and then brim it and work it out.  The computer mind tells porkie pies if you are relying on that ?   On motor way runs, sticking to around 70 - 75mph I have had my best returns, 44 mpg.  At the end of the day just interesting how each car may be slightly different, some burn a bit of oil.others don't !  Tyres also might come into play here.  My brother swore blind his MPG improved considerably when Michelins went on !

At the first service i asked about my MPG, nothing to check, I was told !  Also it seems i am the 'norm'.  I always empty my tank and then brim it and work it out.  The computer mind tells porkie pies if you are relying on that ?   On motor way runs, sticking to around 70 - 75mph I have had my best returns, 44 mpg.  At the end of the day just interesting how each car may be slightly different, some burn a bit of oil.others don't !  Tyres also might come into play here.  My brother swore blind his MPG improved considerably when Michelins went on !

In no way am I doubting you. As I said mine is a DSG and it might just make a difference in how the car is driven. I know the computer is not accurate but usually it's within 5 mpg in my experience. I have to admit I haven't emptied the tank to check it but have done a rough check on fill to fill.

More frequent trips to the pumps soon become noticeable too but have to say I am definitely doing less trips than I was in the 1.2 HTP (70). My last trip into

Yorkshire was last  week, 220 miles, I went on a full tank and have been driving around locall since I came home and my guage is showing just under half full. Now that's pretty impressive for me.

It is strange though how the fuel consumption varies, or people's perception does. The majority of threads seem to point to people being satisfied but there are a number that came up during my research of people like you who were not getting the figures, so you are by no means alone.

The 130 PD did feel like having your cake and eating it and I do miss that engine.  Had it in a Mk1 Fabia VRS, Audi A3 and A4, awesome.

Have been considering the 1.2 TSI in DSG form but would go for the Mark 3 Octy where the aerodynamic and long gearing much give the elusive genuine 50 mpg at reasonable speeds.

One of my turbo went on the 130 PD, variable blades got stuck, a worry when the mileage gets up.  Get 42 mpg average from the Mk 2 Fabia VRS and our HTP gets about the same so I think it is the Fabia's shape that works against it.  Really needs a Cd of less than 0.3 and the MQB lightening to get it to a good place !  

I filled mine to click then drove till petrol light came on. covered 538.7 miles on trip computer (combined) 

That's impressive. I'd fuel mine the same and get approx 320 miles out of the same tank. And tha's with a reasonably light right foot.

I filled mine to click then drove till petrol light came on. covered 538.7 miles on trip computer (combined

Wow, best ever done is 400 !!  Hhmmmm    Must be a reason for this and I am saint like driving :giggle:  

Small point and of no importance because good cars/engines but it is 'TSi 105 PS' (which is 103.6 bhp or actually HP)

george

That's impressive. I'd fuel mine the same and get approx 320 miles out of the same tank. And tha's with a reasonably light right foot.

Fabia's hate normal cruising at 75 or more as they are not aerodynamic compared to other VW variants and hate breaking and accelerating as no regen and quite heavy.

If you keep it to 70 mph (only using about 22 hp at this speed ie 180hp/8) and follow the clarkson rule if you brake than you are a **** driver then 400 mile plus tanks are entirely possible.

You can adopt the freak the van driver (even lager brick) and tuck in to his slip stream ie about 25m back and this can improve your fuel consumption big time.  Coast down big hills etc, all help get the fuel consumption towards the mid forties whilst still keeping the average journey speed around the 70 mph mark for motorways/dual carriageways. 

Hopefully the Fabia 3 will also lose about 8-10% of its weight, improves its Cd to about 0.3 and get some better engine map/tweaks.

Have you tried not up another vehicles arse, but back in the eddie, (like a river eddie with the break out, or the stopper on a river.)

that is where the drivers can see you in their mirrors.

It is not a freak out distances and many drivers of HGV's and box vans are OK with you there, they see you and it saves them having a tailgater there.

Its far enough back for safety, stopping distance and if raining you might not even need wipers on.

You get the back tow, and can lift right off the throttle once in the right spot.

Maybe that is the 25 meter distance that you mean.

george