korban Fabia VRS SE Build Thread

korban

Love that centre brake light mod!

Cheers Kyle, easy mod - kit can be picked up off ebay or here http://flashingbrakelights.co.uk/

More updates needed, easily the best project thread :)

Thanks Dan will do but won't be for a while yet as I been spending time on money on the house for the last month or so - just finished putting a boiler in and spending the next few weeks fitting a new kitchen.

Karl  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

how did u do the mod for the sidelights? thats impressive... always hated standard sidelights

Thanks Scott, but front or rear sidelights ?

Karl

• Like 1

Hey karl another light question for you, do you know if you can wire the front indicators to come on like a side light? I know some vag cars can be programed in via vag com but im thinking on a switch so they can just be flicked on for shows and meets for the US sort of look then knock them off for driving.

• Like 1

Hey karl another light question for you, do you know if you can wire the front indicators to come on like a side light? I know some vag cars can be programed in via vag com but im thinking on a switch so they can just be flicked on for shows and meets for the US sort of look then knock them off for driving.

I was thinking something similar the other day. Be interesting to find out.

• Like 2

I was thinking something similar the other day. Be interesting to find out.

Joe and Lee I did help a fellow member out about a year and a half ago who wanted a US spec sort of look.

Created a small unit with about 4 lead IIRC that would switch the indicators on with the ignition and run as DRLs but would flash when you indicated.

System did work but had one little flaw - when indicating the front and rear indicators were out of sync. I did not think it would be much of an issue because it would be rare for someone to notice the front out of sync with the rear but apparently he did not use it in the end.

Karl

• Like 1

Joe and Lee I did help a fellow member out about a year and a half ago who wanted a US spec sort of look.

Created a small unit with about 4 lead IIRC that would switch the indicators on with the ignition and run as DRLs but would flash when you indicated.

System did work but had one little flaw - when indicating the front and rear indicators were out of sync. I did not think it would be much of an issue because it would be rare for someone to notice the front out of sync with the rear but apparently he did not use it in the end.

Karl

probably needed the bulb taken out while indicating and then put back in while the other bulbs off to resynch them :giggle:

Great thread. Some real good mods included in there!! I do really like this fabia. Any engine mods? 

Cheers, not much engine wise just PD160, K&N and a switchable Digital Tuning box good for about 170 BHP / 270 FtLb

Enough to get me into trouble at Castle Combe

Karl :thumbup:

• Like 2

Do you think it would be possible to wire to a switch so can be flicked on and off then?

It's was just a simple relay circuit, set to be normally closed so that power went straight from the ignition to the indicators but when you indicated the relay would open causing the indicator bulb to go off. Hence the out of sync bit when the rear came on the front went off. I suppose another relay could be added - controlled by a switch to bypass the circuit so the it could act as normal.

If all you want to do is light the indicators up for just show use - Yes

Running I live through a switch to each front indicator will light the front indicators up and also the rears.

Development of the Interior

Early Pictures

Started covering most of the interior plastics with Carbon effect film

CarbonInterior_zpsf9208340.jpg

Carbon film around the air vents and also most of the centre console complete with some self adhesive chrome trim on various bits of the dash to breakup the matt black look . The standard Head Unit was replaced with an after market JVC DVD player, a DAB tuner under the passenger glove box, TomTom Sat Nav mounted in the ashtray, sub controls under the heater control unit and matching Race Blue Tax Disc holder and air freshener (no furry dice) . Gear lever was also shortened at this time.

Picture of my home made sub enclosure in the boot

BootSub_zps0af3ae34.jpg

Along with genuine Fabia boot mesh storage.

Close up of the Sat Nav install

Tomtom_zpsce688145.jpg

Fitted Ok but you can see that the carbon film was the cheap shiny sort - was replace later with 3Ms DiNoc matt finish.

Also covered the standard interior light with it.

InteriorLight_zps00b33952.jpg

Karl   :thumbup: 

• Like 2

Didn't you fit a tablet in the dash too? Or have you taken it out.

Regarding your sat nav install I was looking at doing something similar to my octy. But in the top dash tray, was going to somehow connect it to the back of the black lid (which you push down and it lifts up) but first I put my iphone on top to see if it would open but it struggled so didn't think it would lift a nav. So that's out of the equation for time being. I don't use my ash tray so may look at something similar to you. It looks good and not easy to spot for those common thief's

Keep up the good work!!

Didn't you fit a tablet in the dash too? Or have you taken it out.

Regarding your sat nav install I was looking at doing something similar to my octy. But in the top dash tray, was going to somehow connect it to the back of the black lid (which you push down and it lifts up) but first I put my iphone on top to see if it would open but it struggled so didn't think it would lift a nav. So that's out of the equation for time being. I don't use my ash tray so may look at something similar to you. It looks good and not easy to spot for those common thief's

Keep up the good work!!

Yeah have since  fitted a tablet but these were early photos  back in 2009/2010, just to show how things have changed. Will be adding more current photos soon !

The Tomtom did work well and wasn't that visable but that was the problem you had to look down to see it (not idea) but you could hear the direction quite well.

GLW your install

Karl  :thumbup:

Recent interior Mods

One of the nicest interior mods I think was to replace the standard Wheel with a R32  one.

R3SteeringWheel_zpsc4775cb3.jpg

Gives a lovely tactile chunky grip. Fitted with a Pasty Badge, also you can see the VRS peddle rest in this picture.

The cheap Carbon film was replace with the more expensive (and better looking imho) DiNoc carbon film

CarbonTrim_zpsf94598f0.jpg

This I put just about everywhere.

The TomTom was replace with another JVC HU but this time a double DIN complete with Sat Nav Built in

HUSatNav_zps033736b8.jpg

HUMusic_zps91d3e8a2.jpg

Which has a lot more functionality. Ssuch as built in SD reader, Ipod connectivity , DAB and even a reversing camera.

The space where the TomTom was removed from allowed the fitment of a custom Dual Cup holder

CupHolder_zps274116e5.jpg

Earlier picture than the one above prior to the chrome heater control knobs.

A better picture of the instrument cluster showing custom carbon background with chrome dial rings and also the different colour LEDs and needles.

InstumentCluster_zpsa5ac14b2.jpg

A Parrot Hands free unit was fitted, as the one in the HU was not very reliable.

Parrot_zps5529adda.jpg

In the above you can also see the two buttons that I fitted. One to switch the DRLs off and the other to enable/disable the tuning box.

To control the HU I also fitted a Sony Stalk controller as you an see below

R32ampStalk_zpsc3b672b7.jpg

The standard interior also had its look changed by the addition of soft leather look vinyl

On the A pillars

SoftFeel_zps69fd2b98.jpg

Centre Console was also covered and armrest fitted

CConsole1_zps5af37ce2.jpg

Complete with custom side pockets and black aluminium effect film covering the ash tray.

Also put some carpet in the door pockets and you can also see the door cards have been changed to leather ones in this pic

CarpetPocket_zps6a56a814.jpg

Picture of the Android Tablet

AndroidTablet_zpsd7a4b279.jpg

Quick pic of the VRS logos from inside

InsideRearQtr_zpsbec2d044.jpg

Looks like an etched glass effect.

More to come later