Felicia 5th Gear Nut Repair + Diagnosis

adurer

This topic is about what happened to a friend of mine while driving back home from his holiday. On the final leg of his journey, the car started to lose power each time he tried to go over 50 mph. Then the engine had begun stalling and the car was shaking violently each time. Long story short, he called for my help and I towed him home for the last 10 miles because the engine went into a no start mode.

Before towing him I checked for the no fuel condition and sure enough the fuel pump was dead (bought new 3 months before). His car is similar to mine, 1.3 liter on carburetor, it has a mechanical fuel pump. So anyway, back home he put back his old fuel pump and the car started right away. BUT...

And here comes the part I'm not really sure what's wrong. There is an audible, quite loud knock at idle in sync with engine speed coming from gearbox end. Most probable it is related to numerous shocks  that hammered entire transmission for the last 200 miles.

See photo below where I indicated where the noise is loudest. The knock disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed. I have to mention that the knock is not the classic random rattle often heard on Felicia when gearbox is cold coming exactly from the same area. It is a constant, louder knock.

What I can say for certain is the knock is related to gearbox input shaft. I can further guess the bearing of input shaft is faulty, but I've never heard a bearing knocking is sync with the shaft speed. That is why I need your opinion.

gbknock_zps682f151b.jpg

Edited by adurer

has the retaining nut for the 5th gear come undone? It's really common, it's right in the place you highlighted too.. You don't have to remove the gearbox from the car to get to it either, you can just lower that end of the box down and remove the end casing from the gearbox.

I will help him take the case end out. But first he has to buy some Permatex black to seal it afterwards. Hopefully it is the 5th gear retaining nut doing that tock-tock-tock noise, because if it isn't... I feel sorry for him finding new parts for gearbox.

One question: can he use the same nut?

no, buy a new nuts. dont forget to drain the oil out the gearbox before you start...

i dont know about your locality, but certainly here in the uk those gearboxes are so cheap second hand it's not even worth bothering to open them up for surgery

Thank you, two nuts will be then :)

You can't find a decent second hand gearbox in here because people don't scrap a Felicia unless it's good only for steel foundry. I guess that's called love...

• Like 1

Hopefully next Wednesday I will help him open the gearbox end cap. I have a camera handy to take photos. He bought the liquid gasket solution. Any other tips for making the job easier? Any torque specification for those nuts? Any clearance I should check?

As an aside note, he opened the faulty fuel pump and found a gasket warped. That gasket should seal the intake chamber. You can see the gasket was crooked before sealing the pump. Thumbs down for the manufacturer, Auto Kelly in Czechia.

badpump1_zpsbb41bb45.jpg

badpump2_zps08d3e1d0.jpg

Shown below are the steps to reach 5th gear on Skoda Felicia LHD.

1) Pull out speedometer sender

5thgear01_zpsb5d04ef4.jpg

2) Remove clutch cable

5thgear02_zps1e1889c8.jpg

3) Jack up the car and remove front left wheel.

5thgear05_zps49c5cf8b.jpg

4) Remove drain plug and drain oil in a pan

5thgear03_zps843821bb.jpg

5) While in there remove reversing lights plug.

5thgear04_zps46a796b9.jpg

6) Remove the plate cover. We start to see gearbox end cap.

5thgear06_zps7dd59050.jpg

7) Remove the bolt holding the pendulum support.

5thgear07_zps7196fcde.jpg

8) Support the gearbox on a jack or with a chain from above then remove cover of gearbox left support hold by 2 bolts and a nut.

5thgear08_zps8c5347a8.jpg

9) Lower the gearbox.

5thgear09_zps6cd7b422.jpg

10) Unscrew 9 bolts (7 hex and 2 Allen). Some penetrating oil might help.

5thgear10_zps78f849ad.jpg

11) We have now full access to 5th gear.

5thgear11_zps74f3950f.jpg

12) As expected, the end M22 nut from input shaft was unlocked.

5thgear12_zps2298fb73.jpg

We removed both end nuts from input and output shafts, torqued new nuts at 60 Nm and locked them tightly. Everything was put back in reverse order. We had to clean mating surfaces of gearbox cap and apply Permatex black sealant.

Edited by adurer
  • Like 3

You can use my photos I made (yesterday) and posted above (plus many others not posted on same subject) and rewrite this guide adding better, more detailed information and tips from your experience. You have the advantage of handling much better than me English language. 

We have too few well written repair guides on most common jobs for Felicia. They are also not too visible, that's why so many topics repeat over and over. I gathered quite a few photos about repairing Felicia, so if you are interested to write any such guide, you can PM anytime and I will provide all relevant photos that I have.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...