No bend lighting (AFS) function

Hello all,

New to Skodas and to this site. I've just purchased a MY 2010 Superb Elegance, which has a fault coming up on the display within about a minute of turning on the ignition of an orange bulb with an exclamation mark, and the error "No bend lighting (AFS) function" in the display (is this what's referred to as the Maxidot?)  I'm guessing this fault is related to the self-levelling for the headlights as they are not doing the little 'dance' when first turned on with the light switch turned to 'Auto'.  

I've searched through the site before posting, and it's been suggested this may be related to "Tourist Mode" but I cannot find this setting anywhere in the Setup menu (In Lighting & Vision I only have: Coming Home, Leaving Home, DRL, Comf. indicators, Factory Reset and Back). I don't think it's the cornering function of the foglights as they are turning on/off as I corner with lights on.

I would welcome any suggestions or guidance of what/where to check.

Thank you

Edited by Figment

Just to add to this if relevent, the offside headlight appears to be swivelled left (towards the nearside kerb) when the nearside headlamp is closer to pointing directly ahead.

From that thing called the manual:

Tourist light

This mode makes it possible to drive in countries with opposing traffic system,

driving on the left/right, without dazzling the oncoming vehicles. When the mode

“tourist light” is active, the above mentioned modes and the side to side swivel of

the headlights is deactivated.

The mode “tourist light” is activated/deactivated via the information display in

the menu:

? Settings

? Travel mode

? Off

? Switched on

When I've had tourist mode enabled it didn't give any messages as far as I recall.

I think the option was in the Columbus system. I'll have a look when I'm next in the car.

Jon

I've looked through all of the settings in the Columbus system to no avail. Appreciate you taking the time to look.

From that thing called the manual:

Tourist light
This mode makes it possible to drive in countries with opposing traffic system,
driving on the left/right, without dazzling the oncoming vehicles. When the mode
“tourist light” is active, the above mentioned modes and the side to side swivel of
the headlights is deactivated.
The mode “tourist light” is activated/deactivated via the information display in
the menu:
? Settings
? Travel mode
? Off
? Switched on

As unbelievable as it may sound, I did actually look at the manual before posting, but the settings menu in the car does not have 'Travel mode'

• Like 1

I think I might be able to answer this one. It sounds like you have a faulty sensor. This happened to my Superb a couple of months ago and the dealer found water in one of the headlamp levelling sensors in one of the wheel archs. They replaced the sensor under warranty and haven't had the problem since.

Hope this helps?

• Like 2

I've looked through all of the settings in the Columbus system to no avail. Appreciate you taking the time to look.

As unbelievable as it may sound, I did actually look at the manual before posting, but the settings menu in the car does not have 'Travel mode'

The Tourist setting is in maxidot, not Columbus.

I think I might be able to answer this one. It sounds like you have a faulty sensor. This happened to my Superb a couple of months ago and the dealer found water in one of the headlamp levelling sensors in one of the wheel archs. They replaced the sensor under warranty and haven't had the problem since.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for replying, it's the best I have to go on so far. I checked all round the back of the headlights for loose connectors etc. (none found) I did notice that, on switching headlights on (Auto mode with the light sensor covered to simulate darkness) the offside headlight was shaking very slightly for a few seconds as if the servo motors were attempting to move it. The nearside however did not move. Car is over 3 years old, so no warranty.

The Tourist setting is in maxidot, not Columbus.

I've looked there too. Unless I'm being a total numptie, I have nothing in any menu on maxidot or Columbus that remotely resembles 'Travel mode'

Reading the thread again it would definitely appear that there is a fault. This error message is effectively limp home mode for the lights.

If one of the lights is pointing left it would indicate that maybe the headlight is at fault.

This message would not come up in Tourist mode. When driving in France last month with my Superb I had this mode set and the only indication you have that tourist mode is set is the flashing of the bulb warning lamp several times when you turn the ignition on.

Again I hope this helps?

• Like 1

It won't be tourist mode, it is a fault as the car is telling you it is by having the warning light and text come up on the dashboard, you need to go to the dealer or someone with VCDS to find out what the fault code is and what needs replacing.

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I realise there's is a fault, I was vainly hoping someone might have experienced the same and tell me to check the black thingummy behind the whatchamacallit. Looks like a trip to the dealers then, as I have no idea what VCDS is, or how to find someone that has it (I'm guessing it's some kind of diagnostic device?)  Any ideas on cost just to diagnose the fault?

Thanks for the link. I tried messaging the member closest to me with the correct cable, unfortunately he is unable to receive PMs :(  Will try some others

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply.

The issue was resolved yesterday. My local dealer diagnosed a faulty module on the offside headlamp. When they started dismantling the car to replace it, they further discovered the offside headlamp was not an original Skoda unit (which should have been spotted earlier, seeing as it didn't have the 'Superb' badge on the side), and the reason VCDS was reporting a faulty module was because the module didn't exist!

One new genuine headlight (and, presumably, module) later and the fault has gone, although I haven't yet driven the car in the dark to check the bend function actually works.

I also now have 'Travel Mode' available on Microdot (not that it will ever be used!)

• 1 year later...

No Bend lighting warning.

After hitting a pot hole hard on o/s I have now got no bend lighting warning. Is this a main dealer investigation, or is anyway of resetting or manual adjustment. Lights all work apart from self levelling mode .

The shock from the pothole has likely broken or knocked something inside the headlight.

Unless you are confident to do it yourself then a dealer will need to open the back of the headlight and see what the issue is.

Have taken car to local multi franchise dealer Skoda authorised .

Couldn't get to bottom of fault had it all day including taking bumper off. Gave it back without charge but now o/s headlight pointing into kerb !

Now what another Main dealer?

Not sure how the levelling set up works on the Superb, but on Volvos there is a levelling sensor mounted to the O/S inner wing under the arch with a link down to the wishbone, could this have been damaged by hitting the pothole on that side ?

hello all had the same problem with mine local skoda dealer decided first it was a sensor on the n/s suspension ,but that was not the case.They did a diagnostic  check and found it was a faulty  headlight unit which sits behind the dashboard .All ok now but I'm £400 lighter ,  I hope the info is useful to you.

I experienced the same warning message (""No bend lighting (AFS) function") on the MFD two days ago, after washing the car. Yesterday I didn't drive the car. Today the message had gone and the AFS worked properly.

A faulty/wet sensor?